Raleigh/Durham NC - N-400 Timeline

Thanks. I am not sure if knowing his name would help, but I am saying he was nice not nicest as I didn't know how would the other officers be.
good luck,

Today I just received the Oath Ceremony letter. The ceremony is going to be held in South Port, NC that is almost 3 hours away from Raleigh/Durham, is that Normal or is there a mistake ?

-----------------------------------------
D/O: RALEIGH/DURHAM, NC
01/27/09 :N400 mailed to Lewisville, TX lockbox
02/02/09 :N400 Received Date
02/02/09 :N400 Priority Date
02/13/09 :FP Notice received Date
03/02/09 :FP Appointment (taken)
03/26/09 :File review notice received (yellow)
04/15/09 :IL received
06/08/09 :ID passed.
06/12/09: OL received
07/03/09: OD at SouthPort, NC

Last edited by a moderator:
Today I just received the Oath Ceremony letter. The ceremony is going to be held in South Port, NC that is almost 3 hours away from Raleigh/Durham, is that Normal or is there a mistake ?

06/12/09: OL not yet received
07/03/09: OD at SouthPort, NC

It's part of July 4th celebrations. You can request to reschedule to another date.

Thanks. I am not sure if knowing his name would help,

It would help in that if I get that same officer, I will be a little more at ease knowing that he is nice in general, when I have my interview. If you feel uncomfortable disclosing his name here, then I would appreciate it if you sent me his name in a Private message.

Once again, congratulations on passing the interview and the scheduling of your oath. If it was me, I'd drive the 3 hours to South Port, to participate in a big 4th of July naturalization ceremony. But to each his own. Good luck either way.

Of course I am going, I was just wondering. I guess that is going to be part of 4th of July Celebration as bobsmyth mentioned . thanks for the feedback.

06/12/09: OL
7/03/09: OD at SouthPort, NC

My journey to US citizenship

The journey to my US citizenship has ended successfully.
Please see my signature for details of my case.
Thanks to one and all for your valuable help.

My advice to everyone on this forum and others is to wait patiently
for about 5 to 6 months from the date you apply for US citizenship. No matter
how hard you try to speed it up or worry about it, it is going to take approximately
this long for the citizenship to come through and it will definitely come.

Best of luck to everyone and a big thanks to bobsmyth for patiently
addressing all the concerns/questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Documents to carry for the citizenship interview

Thanks for the information in this wonderful forum. I have my citizenship interview scheduled on July 22nd at Durham.

Just want to make sure that the following are the required documents for the interview so as to avoid any surprises at the interview.

1. Interview letter
2. Green Card
3. State Drivers License
4. Passport

Please advise if I am missing any thing.

Quick question regarding Oath Letter.

How long is the wait time for receiving the Oath letter after the interview is completed?

Thank you for the information.

-----------------------
Durham DO
N-400 sent - 4/10/2009
Received date - 4/14/2009
FP Done - 5/21/2009
ID - 7/22/2009

Thanks for the information in this wonderful forum. I have my citizenship interview scheduled on July 22nd at Durham.

Just want to make sure that the following are the required documents for the interview so as to avoid any surprises at the interview.

1. Interview letter
2. Green Card
3. State Drivers License
4. Passport

Please advise if I am missing any thing.

Quick question regarding Oath Letter.

How long is the wait time for receiving the Oath letter after the interview is completed?

Thank you for the information.

-----------------------
Durham DO
N-400 sent - 4/10/2009
FP Done - 5/21/2009
ID - 7/22/2009

You may want to read the document sticky as any document can be asked from you at the interview:

http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=288288

Oath date depends on availability, but Raleigh is currently scheduling oaths about 30 days after interview.

Interview checklist

Thank you for the link. It provides the required documents information in detail.

-----------------------
Durham DO
N-400 sent - 4/10/2009
FP Done - 5/21/2009
ID - 7/22/2009

04/13/2009: Application sent to Lewisville, TX
04/27/2009: Forgot signature, resubmit
05/01/2009: Check cashed.
04/28/2009: Priority Date (Notice received on 05/04/2009)
05/14/2009: FP notice received. FP appointment on 06/04.
06/24/2009: Interview Letter received. Interview Date - 08/05/2009

Is the list out dated?

Bob,

There're two pages in the interview notice today. One is the actual notice. The other is Naturalization Interview Document Check List.

I read the docs several times. Both documents are simple and straightforward. To me, the only applicable items are:
1. The notice
2. Green Card
3. Passport
4. Photo ID(State Driver license).
5. Two additional passport style photo - Optional.

The link you quoted has very extensive documentation list, with a July 2005 time stamp. I think it's simply out-dated. For example, I couldn't find anywhere in the notice which mentions I have to bring last 5 years tax proof.

It's quite a task to prepare the docs list in the link. I'll probably take my chances and only bring what mentioned in the notice.

Anyone who's been interviewed recently here? How you prepared the doc?

Thanks, Cloudysky

-

Bob,

There're two pages in the interview notice today. One is the actual notice. The other is Naturalization Interview Document Check List.

I read the docs several times. Both documents are simple and straightforward. To me, the only applicable items are:
1. The notice
2. Green Card
3. Passport
4. Photo ID(State Driver license).
5. Two additional passport style photo - Optional.

The link you quoted has very extensive documentation list, with a July 2005 time stamp. I think it's simply out-dated. For example, I couldn't find anywhere in the notice which mentions I have to bring last 5 years tax proof.

It's quite a task to prepare the docs list in the link. I'll probably take my chances and only bring what mentioned in the notice.

Anyone who's been interviewed recently here? How you prepared the doc?

Thanks, Cloudysky

-

The documents in the link are possible documents that the IO may ask at interview, depending on the type of case you have. Sometimes they will ask documents out of the blue. For example, the IO asked my wife for our marriage certificate eventhough she was applying based on 5 years and her GC was employee based. I just happened to bring a copy with me at interview.
Tax transcripts are asked if you need to prove continuous residency or if you answered you owe income tax.
If you have a simple case and are applying alone, passport, GC,and DL should suffice.

Interview letter received

Hello all, I received my interview letter today. I am very impressed with how quickly things are progressing!!! :D:D:D:D

Had my interview and it was a long day!
So I had my interview today. I arrived at the center 29 minutes early (10:31am). I went through security however they had some issues with a pen I had in my purse. I asked them to let me just throw it away, but they just had me pull it apart and scanned it several times. lol
Then since we were early they had my husband and I sit in a room, which i assumed is the oath room for ~15 minutes.
At 10:46am, they sent me to a desk which i have them my letter and they gave me a number and sent us upstairs.
I went upstairs to a packed interview room. and it seemed most people were there for n-400's. We waited and waited and at about 12:30pm, I was called.
The interview/exam was quick. She was very very nice, going over a couple things with me then went into the exam. Firstly there was a discrepency on their part in regards to my green card date. In the system it shows i have been a resident for 4 years not 3, and my AOS paperwork was approved but the IO did not sign the paperwork. Anyhow this required her to do some digging and checking, but in the end it was their problem so she would sort it out. I answered 6 questions right, answered and read the english part. Then we went over the entire application. That was the longest part.
Then about 12:45pm she said she was not sure if the person for final approval was still around and if not i would need to go and come back. She said i was waiting so long i probably needed lunch. She found out who was handling cases and he told her i needed to wait. At about 2pm, he finally got through my case and told me in a few weeks I will get a letter w/ my oath date.
Even though this whole thing took forever, everyone was soooo nice there unlike when I went to my AOS in miami. Also, they now allow phone use in the building, which I wish i knew so i could let my husband go and come back when i call him back. It was a tiring wait!

also, a few things, they told me traffic violations are not considered citations and you don't need to answer the question in verbatum.
So I am almost over!

Had my interview and it was a long day!
So I had my interview today. I arrived at the center 29 minutes early (10:31am). I went through security however they had some issues with a pen I had in my purse. I asked them to let me just throw it away, but they just had me pull it apart and scanned it several times. lol
Then since we were early they had my husband and I sit in a room, which i assumed is the oath room for ~15 minutes.
At 10:46am, they sent me to a desk which i have them my letter and they gave me a number and sent us upstairs.
I went upstairs to a packed interview room. and it seemed most people were there for n-400's. We waited and waited and at about 12:30pm, I was called.
The interview/exam was quick. She was very very nice, going over a couple things with me then went into the exam. Firstly there was a discrepency on their part in regards to my green card date. In the system it shows i have been a resident for 4 years not 3, and my AOS paperwork was approved but the IO did not sign the paperwork. Anyhow this required her to do some digging and checking, but in the end it was their problem so she would sort it out. I answered 6 questions right, answered and read the english part. Then we went over the entire application. That was the longest part.
Then about 12:45pm she said she was not sure if the person for final approval was still around and if not i would need to go and come back. She said i was waiting so long i probably needed lunch. She found out who was handling cases and he told her i needed to wait. At about 2pm, he finally got through my case and told me in a few weeks I will get a letter w/ my oath date.
Even though this whole thing took forever, everyone was soooo nice there unlike when I went to my AOS in miami. Also, they now allow phone use in the building, which I wish i knew so i could let my husband go and come back when i call him back. It was a tiring wait!

also, a few things, they told me traffic violations are not considered citations and you don't need to answer the question in verbatum.
So I am almost over!

Congratulations. The phone cell usage must be a "one off" or change in policy as security officers in the past would not allow them at the Raleigh DO.

Judicial vs Administrative

Hi guys, does anyone know if the Raleigh/Durham DO performs judicial duties or does it primarily perform administrative duties? The reason I am asking is because I requested a name change when I sent my N400 application. I have heard that if the DO has no judicial authority, the process could be delayed. Anyone with experience with this?

Hi guys, does anyone know if the Raleigh/Durham DO performs judicial duties or does it primarily perform administrative duties? The reason I am asking is because I requested a name change when I sent my N400 application. I have heard that if the DO has no judicial authority, the process could be delayed. Anyone with experience with this?

From what I've seen they only do administrative oaths as judicial oaths are conducted in downtown Raleigh federal courthouse every few months.