Raleigh/Durham NC - N-400 Timeline

I can finally update my timeline!
I received my interview letter today.
BTW, I go to the Charlotte office to have the interview. Does anybody know why? Is there a charlotte timeline forum as well?

No. i live in Triad area, 1 hour to Durham and 2 hr to Charlotte.
Will i do the oath ceremony in Durham or Charlotte?

Last edited by a moderator:
No. i live in Triad area, 1 hour to Durham and 2 hr to Charlotte.
Will i do the oath ceremony in Durham or Charlotte?

Winston Salem, High Point and Greensboro are all served by Charlotte DO. You'll likely do your oath at Charlotte, although you can ask if your IO at interview if you can request to have it done at Durham instead.

Interview completed today and Oath on this friday.

I am surprised to see that my Oath is scheduled for this friday. That is pretty fast.

-----------------------
Durham DO
N-400 sent - 4/10/2009
Received date - 4/14/2009
FP Done - 5/21/2009
ID - 7/22/2009
Oath - 7/24/2009

Then, did you get the oath letter on interview date?

I am surprised to see that my Oath is scheduled for this friday. That is pretty fast.

-----------------------
Durham DO
N-400 sent - 4/10/2009
Received date - 4/14/2009
FP Done - 5/21/2009
ID - 7/22/2009
Oath - 7/24/2009

Wow, I can't believe its been almost over 4 yrs not that I've been to the forums at immigration.com, which was an excellent resource for me when I was going through my Green Card process and I am hoping it will again be a great resource when I file my Citizenship next month.

Processing time

This is great forum; it helped me a lot during GC process. The Citizenship process is not as difficult as GC's , but it is still very useful to have up-to-date processing time.

Here is my info:

Sent N-400 2/06/09
Check cashed 2/10/09
NOA 02/12/09
FP notice 2/18/09
FP Date 3/12/09 (1h waiting in Durham office)
IL: 4/15/09
ID: 6/10/09 (15' waiting in Durham DO)
OL: 6/10/09
OD: 07/03/09
PP: 07/06/09 (applied)
PP: 07/13/08 (received)

My daughter also got passport, now I am applying N-600 for her.

Best wishes !

I read people getting their oath letter on the interview date, obviously at Raleigh/Durham office as well.

I have the interview at Charlotte office . Does anybody know whether Charlotte gives the oath letter on interview date too? I will certainly ask the officer for that after interview...only if i pass the interview though..:)

Cleared the interview today. Was given oath letter right after the interview. My oath is scheduled for tomorrow...

Also, in Durham DO, they now allow cell phones inside but the notices on the walls say we cannot take pictures and need
to turn off ringers

--------------------
N-400 Naturalization Timeline
----------------------------
Durham DO
04/02/2009 - Sent Application via FedEx
04/08/2009 - Check Cashed
04/07/2009 - NOA Date
04/23/2009 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter
05/11/2009 - Biometrics Appointment @ 1:00 PM
05/22/2009 - Received Interview Letter Appointment
07/29/2009 - Interview Date
07/29/2009 - Oath Appointment Letter Received
07/30/2009 - Oath Ceremony Date

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I withdraw my request for name change....

Can I withdraw my request for name change at the interview? I heard that the name change can cause delay in taking the oath so I think that it would be best for me to withdraw and have it done on my own.

Can I withdraw my request for name change at the interview? I heard that the name change can cause delay in taking the oath so I think that it would be best for me to withdraw and have it done on my own.

Yes, you can withdraw the request at interview.

What documents did you bring with you for the interview?

I believe you have an employment based greencard, just like me. Curious what did you bring to the interview.

Thanks, Cloudy

Cleared the interview today. Was given oath letter right after the interview. My oath is scheduled for tomorrow...

Also, in Durham DO, they now allow cell phones inside but the notices on the walls say we cannot take pictures and need
to turn off ringers

--------------------
N-400 Naturalization Timeline
----------------------------
Durham DO
04/02/2009 - Sent Application via FedEx
04/08/2009 - Check Cashed
04/07/2009 - NOA Date
04/23/2009 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter
05/11/2009 - Biometrics Appointment @ 1:00 PM
05/22/2009 - Received Interview Letter Appointment
07/29/2009 - Interview Date
07/29/2009 - Oath Appointment Letter Received
07/30/2009 - Oath Ceremony Date

Hello everybody, great forum with a lot of useful information.
Anyway can you guys write more about your Interview experience? How was it? How long did it take? What questions did you have to answer for the oral and written test? What documentation the IO wanted to see?
Thank you for your help!

I believe you have an employment based greencard, just like me. Curious what did you bring to the interview.

Thanks, Cloudy

Hi Cloudyskyhere

Yes I applied based on employment based greencard. I just took my passport(took expired passport but they did not even ask for it), Drivers license and the green card.

How was the interview

Thanks for wonderful inputs in this website.
I have a few questions / clarifications.

Q1. If we change the location within a State, do we need to wait till we complete 3 months in that new location (within the state) to become eligible for submitting N-400 ?

Q2. For those unemployed for a few months, will there be any questions (or is it considered a negative factor for the process of Citizenship) ?

Q3. What are the normal interview questions you guys faced in your interview processs ? Any hard questions ?

Thanks,

Gee

Q1. If we change the location within a State, do we need to wait till we complete 3 months in that new location (within the state) to become eligible for submitting N-400 ?

The issue is having/maintaining USCIS district residency for at least 3 months prior to filing your N-400. If you are based in North Carolina, and you move within North Carolina, you will still be in USCIS District 8 and so this should be no issue for you.

Q2. For those unemployed for a few months, will there be any questions (or is it considered a negative factor for the process of Citizenship) ?

Employment status typically has no bearing on eligibility for naturalization.

If the reason you are unemployed is because you committed a crime that prevents you from being employable, then you may not be immediately eligible for naturalization under the "good moral character" requirement.

Q3. What are the normal interview questions you guys faced in your interview processs ? Any hard questions ?

Most interview questions relate directly to each question on the N-400. You must answer the N-400 completely. The IO will review each of your responses with you during the interview. The only questions that come up relate to follow-up questions related to your original response. Some field offices are more stringent than others on requiring evidence for specific responses (e.g., that all your federal taxes have been paid).

It is important to review the interview experiences of those people on this forum who have interviewed at the field office you expect to go to. You will learn about specific questions that have come up, documentation requirements, etc.