Raleigh/Durham NC - N-400 Timeline

Interesting pictures Bobsmyth. I didn't know they hold citizenship ceremonies for children too! Neither was I aware that a child over 14 must take the oath of citizenship. How do I get my son (who's turning 17 in January) take the oath? Will he be able to do it with me on my oath ceremony on Jan 5?

Interesting pictures Bobsmyth. I didn't know they hold citizenship ceremonies for children too! Neither was I aware that a child over 14 must take the oath of citizenship. How do I get my son (who's turning 17 in January) take the oath? Will he be able to do it with me on my oath ceremony on Jan 5?

Is your son a GC holder and living with you? If so, he will become a citizen automatically when you become a citizen. He doesn't need to take an oath.

I came to US after age of 26 and was interviewed in Durham. The IO looked at my case, noted that I arrived after the age of 26 and jokingly stated "ahh, the SS folks didn't get you in time" and moved on to next question. No request for a letter was made nor did I bother trying to get a SS letter of proof in the first place since the facts were obvious.

Bobsmyth,
I came to US at 24. But did not get GC until I was 33. Does this mean that should have done selective service? Do I need a letter for Selective Service?

Bobsmyth,
I came to US at 24. But did not get GC until I was 33. Does this mean that should have done selective service? Do I need a letter for Selective Service?

Not unless you ever were in a status other than non-immigrant before your 26 birthday after you came into the US. As for a letter from selective service, you can obtain one, but the IO should be able to determine that you weren't required to register at the time from your immigration status history.

Not unless you ever were in a status other than non-immigrant before your 26 birthday after you came into the US. As for a letter from selective service, you can obtain one, but the IO should be able to determine that you weren't required to register at the time from your immigration status history.

Thanks....
There is just so much that one needs to do. Regards!

I have a question to everyone who has had an interview experinece in a Durham office. How many tax transcripts have you brought? What time interval are they supposed to cover? Have you brought 2003 transcript? I have transcripts only for 2004-2007 (they were mailed to me for free). Is it enough or should I pay $$$ to get my 2003 transcript? Would be a personal copy of my 2003 reaturn enough? Please clarify the situation. Thank you.

I didn't bring any tax receipts to interview and was never asked.
Mind you I never broke continuous residency, or applied based on 3 year rule.

I brought joint fed tax transcripts/returns since 2002 etc etc (not state returns), but was never asked for it. (marriage based appl)
heck, I wasn't asked for anything!

Moving to NC, please help!!!

I held off filing for citizenship because I will be relocating to NC from CT. I will be living in wake county but just outside Raleigh. I was reading a lot of the posts and saw that quite a few people had their citizenship interview dates rescheduled :eek:. Is this something that happens a lot in NC? Can someone please catch me up to speed on a rough estimate of what the time line is in NC for citizenship? Thanks !!

It was isolated to a batch of applicants whose original interviews were supposed to be in August , but were rescheduled to October/November. I haven't seen any interview cancellation since then.

I held off filing for citizenship because I will be relocating to NC from CT. I will be living in wake county but just outside Raleigh. I was reading a lot of the posts and saw that quite a few people had their citizenship interview dates rescheduled :eek:. Is this something that happens a lot in NC? Can someone please catch me up to speed on a rough estimate of what the time line is in NC for citizenship? Thanks !!

I moved from CT to NC as well. And had to wait for a while before filing N-400. But I had a smooth ride altogether. But strangely, my father who always lived in NC for the past several years, applied in September 2008 and still waiting for interview letter.

Thanks,
Newbie001.

Congratulations on passing your interview...I was of the opinion that you could request to wait for the oath letter immediately after your interview.Did you ask the IO that?It seems things have changed in recent weeks at Durham office.It is taking them longer to send out interview and oath letters.

I thought my interview letter would have come by now but still waiting...

NO, after the interview IO told me that i have to wait for the oath letter they will mail it. and she doesn't know what time might be