Raleigh/Durham NC - N-400 Timeline

I opted for advance voting and registration on the spot which allows you to register and vote at once from Oct 16 to Nov1.

Interview at same time

My husband and I have the interview at the same time , on the same date and the same DO.

1) Did anyone here had the same problem, the question I had was that as we both have the same time, how does the document sharing work, like the mortage papers, lease aggrements, proof of residence, marriage certificate etc which both of us might need.

2) Also I have all the originals sorted together, do I have to take copies of all, or originals are fine. Does IO asks for any copies or just verifies the originals.

Please advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
My husband and I have the interview at the same time , on the same date and the same DO.

1) Did anyone here had the same problem, the question I had was that as we both have the same time, how does the document sharing work, like the mortage papers, lease aggrements, proof of residence, marriage certificate etc which both of us might need.

2) Also I have all the originals sorted together, do I have to take copies of all, or originals are fine. Does IO asks for any copies or just verifies the originals.

Please advice.

I'd the same issue. You can keep copies with you but make sure if you are getting Citizenship via your husband then keep the original marriage certificate with you but usually IO won't ask you anything. You can leave the documents in your car, don't have to carry all the documents. If they need, they will ask you to go and get it. IO is just going to go through your submitted N400 application. In my case, IO didn't ask any documents either for me and my wife. You'll be fine!

Please advice.

Make copies and give them to your husband..that way you both have them available at your individual interviews (if they end up being held at same time). If the IO asks your husband for originals, he would tell IO you have them.

Question for the early October Durham Oath takers:

I filled in my voter registration card immediately after the ceremony (10/6/08), but I have yet to see confirmation of my voter registration on the NC SBOE site, (http://www.sboe.state.nc.us/VoterLookup.aspx?Feature=voterinfo) - is this just me? Should I get concerned yet?

Same thing for me. I registered on Oct 1 2008 right after my interview and still can't find my name. It has been more than 10 working days which means they probably dump these registration cards in the garbage.

I will go to early voting place on Oct 24 to register again and vote at the same time

Hey Guys..
My check was cashed on 10/1/08 but I have not received anything from USCIS yet. Is that normal? And what should be coming in the mail?

Thanks in advance.

Hey Guys..
My check was cashed on 10/1/08 but I have not received anything from USCIS yet. Is that normal? And what should be coming in the mail?

Thanks in advance.

You should normally receive a notice 7-10 days after your check is cashed. Give it until the end of next week due to the postal holiday on Columbus Day.

bump! for my favorite thread ... :) can't let this thread get lost in the 2nd page...
Everything still going ok, guys?
naso: we need to hear from you, buddy. don't give up!!!
we're still here for ya.

You should normally receive a notice 7-10 days after your check is cashed. Give it until the end of next week due to the postal holiday on Columbus Day.

Thank you Bobsmyth.. I will wait for another week. I am not sure what it means though as its been 17 days after the check was cashed.:mad:

And to eveyone in the Raleigh-Durham DO; please share your timeline if you mailed your application last month or this month so we can keep this thread alive.
It is our turn now so please dont sit on the fence.
I am out!:)

Same thing for me. I registered on Oct 1 2008 right after my interview and still can't find my name. It has been more than 10 working days which means they probably dump these registration cards in the garbage.

I will go to early voting place on Oct 24 to register again and vote at the same time

Just checked - my voter registration is now confirmed on the SBOE site :D

Let me check mine. I hope they did not toss it up as someone living in a Fast Food restaurant. I did not file with ACORN though.

yay! I just checked my voter registration as well, and it's posted. I'm curious: did anyone else on this forum have the Oct 10th oath ceremony? My oath letter was dated Oct 3rd, and I only received it in the mail the day before the ceremony. I feel like there may have been other people who missed their ceremony on that day as a result of how much they were trying to squeeze everything together to ensure that we could vote.

I ask b/c those people may still be able to register to vote. I noticed on my citizenship certificate, they stamped the date of the oath date as my official date of becoming a citizen. I wonder if you miss your oath ceremony, if the certificate is still stamped with the date of your initial ceremony? In that case, those people may still be able to vote since they're technically citizens. This is just a thought to look into for those very few (i'm assuming) who may be in that situation.
FP notice 2/4/08
FP Date 2/29/08
IL: 7/01/08
ID: 9/18/08
OL: 10/3/08 (received 10/9/08)
OL: 10/10/08

yay! I just checked my voter registration as well, and it's posted. I'm curious: did anyone else on this forum have the Oct 10th oath ceremony? My oath letter was dated Oct 3rd, and I only received it in the mail the day before the ceremony. I feel like there may have been other people who missed their ceremony on that day as a result of how much they were trying to squeeze everything together to ensure that we could vote.

Could be since only 20 people showed up for Oct 10th oath.
As for date on naturalization certificate, it will show date you actually took the oath since you only become citizen once you take oath.

Interview experience in Raleigh DO

Hello everyone,

We entered the building at 8.30/8.40 am , almost 20 minutes before the scheduled interview time. There were 17 people sitting in the second floor at that time.
Every 5-6 minutes an applicant was called. The gaurd took our interview letter and asked us to wait.

At about 9.30 I was called in by an IO.
Asked the civic questions, read the english sentence & wrote another sentence.
Verified the application form, I had mentioned a traffic voilation in N400 and told him that I paid the fine $25. He asked no further proof. Only thing he asked was the marriage certificate.

My wife was called at 9.45 am by a lady IO. She was asked to show our daughter's birth certificate which she didnt have. My wife mentioned that our daughter was born here so she is a citizen and no further paperwork was asked.
Over all 15 minutes in total and we were asked to wait outside to get our oath letters.
We are scheduled for the oath (thankfully, same day for both , same time) on 28th 9.30 am.
We can stop in the one stop register/vote and still vote in this election!! :D

A great relief to be done with USCIS and a journey that started in Jan 2000 (page 13 in this forum :) when we got the deschd letter). Till yesterday evening I thought there could be a scope of another d'schd notice. So I guess its for real this time..

I need to thank everyone in this thread. Bobsmyth,fbanna79,Washburn,Safferjoe and desifan... everyone for helping us get through this process. Lots of information and guidance gave us so much confidence.
Infact when we asked the IO if we can get an oath date before Nov 1st, he mentioned there could be one on 27th. And I just nodded , but thought "Ya! I know from the forum there is one!". :D

Jonnycash list is the best and I recommend everyone should go through it before the interview.

Good luck Washburn, Safferjoe and all others who have the interview.

Murali

SPECIAL THANKS TO fbanna79!!

Congratulations mulals72, eventhough you forgot about me ;)

How could I forget you!! Added next to the prezzzzz's name..
Thanks !

Hello everyone,

I need to thank everyone in this thread. Bobsmyth,fbanna79,Washburn,Safferjoe and desifan... everyone for helping us get through this process. Lots of information and guidance gave us so much confidence.

Murali