Raleigh/Durham NC - N-400 Timeline

I'm surprised they haven't changed the naturalization certificate much over the years. With all the emphasis on security, you'd think they would have come up with a wallet sized plastic version RFID chip embedded certificate.

I'm surprised they haven't changed the naturalization certificate much over the years. With all the emphasis on security, you'd think they would have come up with a wallet sized plastic version RFID chip embedded certificate.

I think it's more about keeping the certificate traditional. Besides, it has fairly advanced watermarks, so it wouldn't be too easy to forge. Even if someone managed to forge one, no record of naturalization would exist in the USCIS database, so the certificate would be useless.

I think it's more about keeping the certificate traditional. Besides, it has fairly advanced watermarks, so it wouldn't be too easy to forge. Even if someone managed to forge one, no record of naturalization would exist in the USCIS database, so the certificate would be useless.

It still would be nice to have a certificate not made of paper that withholds wear and tear better over time (especially wear and tear when having to send it by mail to various agencies who require proof of citizenship).

It still would be nice to have a certificate not made of paper that withholds wear and tear better over time (especially wear and tear when having to send it by mail to various agencies who require proof of citizenship).

Agreed. At the very least, Tyvek or currency paper should have been used. Fortunately, the only place I had to send my certificate was the passport agency.

Yes I completed the ceremony yesterday. Had to go by myself. Similar to Bob's experience, Gretchen performed the ceremony. She read from the script and it was more subdued than my wife's ceremony last week, where the director ran it and added some of his own personal thoughts and feelings.
I will be placing my certificate in a safe deposit box once it is back from the passport agency, so that I don't have my passport and certificate in the same place.

Yes I completed the ceremony yesterday. Had to go by myself. Similar to Bob's experience, Gretchen performed the ceremony. She read from the script and it was more subdued than my wife's ceremony last week, where the director ran it and added some of his own personal thoughts and feelings.
I will be placing my certificate in a safe deposit box once it is back from the passport agency, so that I don't have my passport and certificate in the same place.

Congrats KennyGH!!..I hope Gretchen gets more experience over time and eventually adds her own personnel touch to these ceremonies.

Question about N400 form

You guys are awesome here and it is such a great resource.I have some questions about the N 400 form

Part 8
G. How many times has your current spouse been married (including annulled marriages)?

This is the first marriage for both of us.So,do I say zero(none) assuming it is asking if he had been married before me?Or do I say one(1) assuming it is asking about all marriages including ours?

It is confusing to me really.

My other question is my speeding ticket:

15. Have you ever committed a crime or offense for which you were not arrested?

Is getting a speeding ticket regarded as a crime or offense?Do I say yes to this question?

16. Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer (including USCIS or former INS and military officers) for any reason?

Again,is the speeding ticket a citation?

Funny,how one over analyzes when the time comes to file.

Thanks for all your help.

For the marriage question, my wife and I put "once" (first and only marriage for both of us).

For the speeding - I declared my ticket on the N400 and answered "yes" to the "Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer" (including USCIS or former INS and military officers) for any reason? question, plus I declared an additional ticket at the interview, the IO just wrote down the basic details and that was it.

You guys are awesome here and it is such a great resource.I have some questions about the N 400 form

Part 8
G. How many times has your current spouse been married (including annulled marriages)?

This is the first marriage for both of us.So,do I say zero(none) assuming it is asking if he had been married before me?Or do I say one(1) assuming it is asking about all marriages including ours?
It would be one if this is your first marriage.
My other question is my speeding ticket:

15. Have you ever committed a crime or offense for which you were not arrested?

Is getting a speeding ticket regarded as a crime or offense?Do I say yes to this question?
No. This question refers specifically to crimes you committed, but were never arrested for, like adding and abedding an illegal immigrant. Or a crime you committed that didn't require you to be arrested (in traditional sense).

16. Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer (including USCIS or former INS and military officers) for any reason?

Again,is the speeding ticket a citation?

Funny,how one over analyzes when the time comes to file.

Thanks for all your help.

Technically you must declare all citations including all traffic citations . In practice, USCIS isn't concerned with minor traffic offenses and often changes the question answer to "no" (if you answer "yes") for minor traffic traffic citations at the interview.

Last edited by a moderator:
Recent applicants with interviews in charlotte, durham

Hi all

I have my interview in like 2 weeks in charlotte DO

I just wanted to check what kind of supporting documents did the IO asked . I will be taking the Johhy cash list and also the list of documents they specified in the interview letter.

Also had one question, Are kids allowed in the interview room with us, cause I have a 19 month old and it is being difficult to find a baby sitter yet, so was wondering is it ok to take the kid with me inside or they are not allowed.

Thanks

How long does one study the civics stuff?
I assume, it might take me less time than some people to do it, as I'm a full time Pharmacy student, and pretty much have to study constantly, so I might be used to it/faster at it...

But i'm still curious to know how long other people here study for it... would appreciate your feedback.
I think I'll just take the old test, unless there's any disadvantages to it.

it's on oct 27. keeping fingers crossed that the appt. will prevail this time...

Hi all

I just wanted to check what kind of supporting documents did the IO asked . I will be taking the Johhy cash list and also the list of documents they specified in the interview letter.

Also had one question, Are kids allowed in the interview room with us, cause I have a 19 month old and it is being difficult to find a baby sitter yet, so was wondering is it ok to take the kid with me inside or they are not allowed.

Thanks

My IO asked me for passport, and GC. I had made copies of DL, GC and passport which the IO wasn't interested in.
For my wife , they asked for marriage certificate and green card (didn't ask for passport). Her IO did take the copies of DL, GC and passport we made.
Goes to show that every IO may ask for different documents.
As for bringing kids, I don't think they allow kids into interview room.

I assume, it might take me less time than some people to do it, as I'm a full time Pharmacy student, and pretty much have to study constantly, so I might be used to it/faster at it...

But i'm still curious to know how long other people here study for it... would appreciate your feedback.

it's on oct 27. keeping fingers crossed that the appt. will prevail this time...

Many of the answers to the questions come form common knowledged while living in the US., so the advantage is that unless you're shielded from US history, news and events, many of the questions are fairly easy.
What I've found useful is to go over the questions every few days before the interview date..it only takes 5-10 min to go over them real quick. You'll be surprised how fast and easy it is to remember them (especially for a pharm student who has to memorize hundreds of drugs by their commercial and equivalent generic names).

Hi all

Thanks

No way. try your best to find a babysitter

Just the anxiety to get to the mail box and not see anything from USCIS is a great feeling these days.
Mine is next friday. I try to read 20 questions a day. Right now on the 40th :)

I used the CD that they gave to me when make the finger prints, for two weeks like music in my car... for me works great.

That is the best way in my opinion. It orked fine. I learn quicker when i listen than when I read. It may the opposit for others.

This discussion is not related to raleigh/durham thread. Please open another thread to discuss the heavy load of parroting answers to 96 odd questions. Thank you.

This discussion is not related to raleigh/durham thread.

Yes it is:
this is the thread for N-400 Raleigh/Durham--> Interview is part of N-400 --> learning civics for interview is part of the interview.

dv lotto is not related to N-400 like that. AND there's a separate thread for it ALREADY. Don't compare my question here with what you were doing with lotto dv stuff.

If there was a separate thread for learning the civics, etc, I sure as hell would've posted my question there.