Raleigh/Durham NC - N-400 Timeline

Well I has my Oath Ceremony today too, same as Bobsmyth, we arrived (me, husband and kids) around 2:00pm, the check at the entrance was fast. I gave the paper to somebody in a counter and then I went to the room for the Ceremony. I sat on the 3rd row and my family in the back in the place for guests. I counted 12 places per row and 8 rows. I won't explain about the Ceremony b/c bob already did it, I only want to let everybody know that for me it was full of emotion the moment of the slide show presentation with the music of the Star Splanged Banner, mostly because one of the phrases there is from somebody of my original country.
For me it was great that the ceremony ran fast, only about 25 minutes, fantastic for people with children that are usually bored in something like this.
We took some pictures and then before I left I registered to vote.
We went to celebrate to a restaurant too, like a culmination of this powerful day.

P.S- I would like to thank all of the people in this forum, for the advice given on this process, and to all waitying to just wait on this process.

Well I has my Oath Ceremony today too, same as Bobsmyth, we arrived (me, husband and kids) around 2:00pm, the check at the entrance was fast. I gave the paper to somebody in a counter and then I went to the room for the Ceremony. I sat on the 3rd row and my family in the back in the place for guests. I counted 12 places per row and 8 rows. I won't explain about the Ceremony b/c bob already did it, I only want to let everybody know that for me it was full of emotion the moment of the slide show presentation with the music of the Star Splanged Banner, mostly because one of the phrases there is from somebody of my original country.
For me it was great that the ceremony ran fast, only about 25 minutes, fantastic for people with children that are usually bored in something like this.
We took some pictures and then before I left I registered to vote.
We went to celebrate to a restaurant too, like a culmination of this powerful day.

P.S- I would like to thank all of the people in this forum, for the advice given on this process, and to all waitying to just wait on this process.

congrats, star splanged banner has one phrase from your country of origin?
Can I make 2 guesses where you are from then you can tell where you really are from?
France or germany?
I say france.

congrats bobby. It looks you were not bored as you passed almost all of your waiting time from pd to oath on this forum. Almost 9-10 posts every day since you joined!
Your statement is startling that US naturalization does not seem much for you? There are highly qualified medical doctors from other countries that drive taxies in Canada to support themselves. Canadian economy is not all that great. Hasn't been great for long time.
I could get into a discussion with you, but I'd obviously be wasting my time. Geez, looks like some people just don't get it when they get banned over and over again from this forum.

Let us discuss canadian economy. There are 2 tiers in canadian economy. The new immigrants and the citizens. The economy is set up in a such a way that new immigrants have to take up menial jobs or jobs which are beneath their skills. The other level would be the better and skilled matched jobs that most native canadians take up.
After getting their reality dose of the "rosie canadian dreams" most immigrants to canada only dream about immigrating to US.
The real stories about hardships immigrants have to face in canada to get skill matched jobs are all over the internet forums.

Let us discuss canadian economy. There are 2 tiers in canadian economy. The new immigrants and the citizens. The economy is set up in a such a way that new immigrants have to take up menial jobs or jobs which are beneath their skills. The other level would be the better and skilled matched jobs that most native canadians take up.
After getting their reality dose of the "rosie canadian dreams" most immigrants to canada only dream about immigrating to US.
The real stories about hardships immigrants have to face in canada to get skill matched jobs are all over the internet forums.

Actually you have it all wrong..Canada invites highly talented immigrants from all countries but secretly sends them to Nunavut to take part of the annual seal hunt and uses the profits from the sale of baby seal fur to subsidize the health care system. They also kidnap highly trained immigrants from Bavaria and send them to Newfoundland to work at Moosehead breweries.

You must be, like, a Hoser ..take off ,eh?(Only Doug and Bob McKenzie fans would get this) :D

Congrats BobSmyth my fellow American!

The day I thought would never arrive has finally come; my naturalization oath.

It was scheduled for 2:30pm. Me and my wife arrived about 15 min before. Security allowed cameras and cell phone for oath only (although officer reminded everyone at oath that all cell phone must be turned off). We were fist asked to stand in line and hand in our filled out and signed oath letter at front desk (it's ok to fill this out and sign it before hand) . The front clerk looked at it real quick, kept oath letter, asked us if we had green card and then told us to go to oath room (which is on same 1st floor on right right after security). As you enter oath room, a person is there to collect your green card and you are then asked to be seated by row. There were about 10 rows with about 15 people in each row. They didn't mention total people there, nor did they mention countries of origin (which would have made it more personal). At 2:35pm the ceremony began. The acting field director Gretchen (Corkin?) began the ceremony with a video about the importance of becoming a US citizen, followed by her (and applicants) reciting the oath. She must have been new and nervous at this as she had to read word per word , page per page during the entire presentation. Too bad she didn't add a little bit of life to the ceremony...the event was rather subdued. She then had an applicant read the pledge of allegiance, and then watched a short video of President Bush (reminded me of SNL skit :) ) . Then there was a final video song (Lee Greenwood's Proud to be an American)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOc6wv9s1wA

Finally, Gretchen congratulated us in becoming citizens, and instructed us to pick up our certificates row by row on our way out. She also let us know that voting registration could be done right outside room. We opted not to stay as it was rather crowded in reception and we will register to vote online instead.
The ceremony was over by 2:50pm and we were outside by 2:55pm..very efficient process I must say, despite it being a little lifeless. I must give Durham DO an "A" for effort as they are new and still have a few kinks to work out.
It was a surreal experience for me and my wife, as we have been waiting for this to be over and done for over 1 year now(436 days to be exact) . We celebrated by going to a restaurant (Cleveland Ale House) and ate outside in the beautiful Carolina weather.
In the coming days I will apply for passport and go to SS office to change of status to citizen.

I'd like to thank everyone who has participated (and continues to participate) in this forum with their experiences and valuable information . It made me realize that others had to endure the same waiting game I did.
I'd also like to dedicate the oath ceremony to all the applicants who have come from difficult countries and/or backgrounds and who have realized their life dream of becoming US citizens. Being a Canadian myself , US naturalization doesn't change much for me personally (apart from a sense that the US is now my home). However, it does make me realize that naturalization means much more to those who have struggled throughout their lives, and have finally achieved freedom. To all of you , I salute you; it's your turn now to live the American dream.

If any of you have questions feel free to ask me. And to all of you still waiting (especially those in Raleigh who are still waiting for interview or oath), hand in there..your wait will soon be over. ..

I am so happy your journey for you and your wife is finally over. Congratulations to both of you!!!:D

I gave up. Today i have recieved a second cancellation from the USCIS (no set reason). I am very upset now:mad:

This is absolutely ridiculous!
Have you thought of scheduling an infopass?
...just when you think everything's over....

you got it only 4 days in advance !!! wtf!

As disappointing as it is, please don't give up. Always try to think that, to my best knowledge, the NC and all that is very probably done in our cases and this is just a scheduling/staffing glitch/conflict... That's what the IO said to MuralS when he did infopass after his deschedule letter, and I really do think it's correct: i can't imagine you/anyone getting scheduled twice if something else was "wrong" or pending: apparently you are all set to be interviewed!

it's just a matter of waiting a bit more and getting another letter...and you will get it; it's just frustrating to be up and down in your feelings and hopes like this the whole time... I had grown sort of "immune" to it (but not totally hopeless either) even before I got my 1st iv/desch. letters, and it helps me a bit I think, even if it happens again...
Don't lose hope, naso. ... you're almost there.

Also, remember that MuralS did infopass after about a month or so (I think) and got his rescheduling letter right there and then during the infopass...

And if you do an infopass, please share what you learned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for the wishes..it's still sinking in that I won't have to deal with USCIS ever again (of course unless I loose my naturalization certificate ;) )

Done, dusted and finished.

Like RTP-Waiting, I had the morning ceremony. I got there 45 minutes early - I didn't need to.

A few things stand out for me -

The Director acknowedging that one of the highlights of becoming a citizen is that you wouldn't have to deal with his agency any more! (It's nice to know that they are aware that their customer service isn't the best - just wish that they would do something about it!)

My wife who took her oath almost a year ago, joined me to re-do her oath.

The identical twins leading us in the Pledge (if anyone got a photo of those two, I would love it if you could forward it to me).

Filling in the voter registration card - the first question "Are you a US Citizen?" I think that is when it hit me.

When my wife did hers in Charlotte, they read out your name when they handed out the certificates (although there was only about 30 people there) - that seemed a little more personal.

On the whole, a great day, and it is the occasion, where dealing with the USCIS is actually a pleasure, they are relaxed, and I think they genuinely enjoy the occasion, from the guard all the way up to the director.

Congrats to all those folks who will always remember "October 6th 2008"

Bob, Congratulations once again. Don't responde to this Chenwu alias maurricipelli. Just enjoy your new status... :D :D

Congrats guys, especially Bobsmyth. The fact that you're done with the USCIS will take a few days to sink in, so enjoy the feeling!

Congrats guys, especially Bobsmyth. The fact that you're done with the USCIS will take a few days to sink in, so enjoy the feeling!

Thanks Vorpal..I can't believe I'm done..seems like only yesterday I was calling USCIS weekly to ask when I will be scheduled for an interview..it certainly feels great to have this chip lifted off my shoulder.

Thanks Vorpal..I can't believe I'm done..seems like only yesterday I was calling USCIS weekly to ask when I will be scheduled for an interview..it certainly feels great to have this chip lifted off my shoulder.

It feels even better when you receive your passport. I got my voter card yesterday, so now it's truly all done. There are still a few places I have to notify of my name change, but that's the least of my worries.

It feels even better when you receive your passport. I got my voter card yesterday, so now it's truly all done. There are still a few places I have to notify of my name change, but that's the least of my worries.

Did you apply for passport card as well? I was thinking if its of any value especially if you need to return to US by plane due to emergency after traveling outside of US by land or marine travel.

Court in Raleigh

Does anyone know where the nearest court in Raleigh is?
I had listed a traffic citation in N400 and want to get a copy from the court saying the fine was paid.
Is there anything else I need to take for the interview, in terms of the citation? I dont have the original citiation too..

Thanks..