Raleigh/Durham NC - N-400 Timeline

Hey everyone,

so I'm puzzled and disappointed to not have an oath letter yet. I was out of town for a week, so I hadn't checked my mailbox until Monday, and I had no oath letter. I called the national helpline, talked to an IO, who told me I hadn't been scheduled for a date yet and that I'm still in the oath queue. Is there any chance that the IO was wrong? It sounds like everyone else in my situation has an Oath Ceremony scheduled this week. I could use some advice!!!!

Looks like you may have missed the cutoff for the latest round of oaths. Keep calling USCIS daily to see if you've been scheduled yet. Better yet, schedule an Infopass to see if they still have any room open. If the early October oaths are all full, there will more oaths scheduled towards the end of the month.

weren't there a couple of posts of people who were receiving oath notices on the spot after their interviews? My interview was before those posts, so it makes me think that I slipped through the cracks somewhere.... what do you think?

weren't there a couple of posts of people who were receiving oath notices on the spot after their interviews? My interview was before those posts, so it makes me think that I slipped through the cracks somewhere.... what do you think?

Those were random and were due to interviewing IO having authorization (or getting authorization) to schedule oath on the spot. It all depends on the IO who interviewed you.

Voting registration.

Can anyone find out during the oath ceremony about registering to vote after Oct 10th.
I cant find much details on the web about this..

Thanks

OK, it's been over 5 hours since fbanna's oath and he still hasn't reported back yet..I hope he didn't get stuck celebrating at The Gentlemen's Club :D

Here is the moment you all have been waiting for.

My oath ceremony was scheduled this afternoon at 02:30 PM. I left home around 01:00 PM for the Durham DO. I arrived at Durham DO at exactly 01:50 PM. I headed toward the building at 02:00 PM. At the entrance, there was a sign stating that cell phones and cameras were prohibited expect for naturalization oath ceremonies. That was good news because my wife had our camera for the event.

Security guards at entrance checked green cards and oath letters. We were reminded to complete the back of the notices and to signed and date as instructed on the form. After security check, we were directed to an immigration officer who took the oath notices and verified the green card. He kept the oath notice but gave us back our green cards. All guests are directed to the ceremony room right after the security check. Note that all guests were accepted, including kids and babies and cell phones and cameras were welcome.

We were then directed to the ceremony rooms, and had to seat in rows. There were around 100 people naturalized at 02:00 PM today, I am not sure what the exact number was. The ceremony was presided by USCIS Durham director. The IO came first and collected our Green Cards before the ceremony started. After an introduction note from USCIS director, we were shown a video about USA (I can’t exactly remember the content of the video). Then we were asked to stand and take the oath. Parents were allowed to walk around to take pictures and record the oath as it was happening.

At the end of the oath, we were shown a welcoming message from our new President George W. Bush. The ceremony was then closed and we were called row by row to get our naturalization ceremony. Outside, there was a vote registration trail and we were able to fill out vote registration forms there.

At the end of the entire ceremony, we were allowed to take pictures in the hall and outside with family members and friends. It was a great ceremony and I was happy that the local office allowed such things.

My wife and I headed to a nice restaurant where we finished the party.

This is the end of a long journey with USCIS that started on June 28, 2003 when I immigrated here as a lucky winner of the DV lottery. Today, as a proud US citizen, I am so thankful to my adopted Country for accepting all people around the globe and allowing them to be part of the society. I want to thank the host, members and moderators of this forum. Without this forum, I wouldn’t be where I am now.

I will apply for passport tomorrow and I will update social security and change my status at work after getting my passport. I will still stick around some as much as I can to help others. Please, let me know if you have questions. I will be glad to answer them.

And I think that USCIS director may read this forum, as he mentioned that he has read all what is being said in the press and in immigration blogs. If he reads my post by any chance, I want to thank him because the ceremony was so well organized.
99/100 (A+).

Congrats fbanna79!! 2morrow my day.... We have had a shortage here on gas sooo I am not sure how far I will lget...just kidding...

I just have one question for all of you guys and gals... I have noticed that after everyone gets the natz certificate, they go right away to get their passports. Unfortunately I cant get mine cause.... well I am flat broke!:eek:

So my question is this... Am I the only broke person here on this forumn cause I am feeling kinda bad at this point. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
You are free to get the passport whan you want. The faster the better I think because the passport is valid for 10 years and costs only 100 bucks. I say only because to get my country's passport, I paid 300 bucks and the passport is valid for only 5 years.

Good luck tomorrow. You will see that it is a very well organized ceremony.

Congratulations fbanna..thanks for sharing your story. How long did the entire ceremony last? (ie:what time did you leave?)

Congrats fbanna79!! 2morrow my day.... We have had a shortage here on gas sooo I am not sure how far I will lget...just kidding...

I just have one question for all of you guys and gals... I have noticed that after everyone gets the natz certificate, they go right away to get their passports. Unfortunately I cant get mine cause.... well I am flat broke!:eek:

So my question is this... Am I the only roke person here on this forumn cause I am feeling kinda bad at this point. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Look at the bright side synn_r..at least you have met one of the fundamental requirements of a US citizen: to be broke. :D

Good luck tomorrow!

We left at 04:00 PM mainly because we were taking photos after the ceremony. The entire ceremony was over at 03:30 PM (1 hour long).

By the way, I am trying to post some videos on Yotube. Probvably tomorrow, you will be able to see them.

Congratulations, Fbanna.

You mentioned you were going to update your social security. What you meant by that? Do we have to do anything with social security?

The letter said proper attire is required. What is "proper" here? Is semi-formal ok?

Most people were in semi formal attire. But I was in formal attire because this was the biggest day of my life.

I saw a lady wearing flip flops,:eek: but she didn't get quicked. :D

Hey everyone,

so I'm puzzled and disappointed to not have an oath letter yet. I was out of town for a week, so I hadn't checked my mailbox until Monday, and I had no oath letter. I called the national helpline, talked to an IO, who told me I hadn't been scheduled for a date yet and that I'm still in the oath queue.

rjwang, are you changing your name as part of the naturalization process ? The oath we had was administered by USCIS director. This was an administrative oath. If you are changing your name, then they cannot schedule you for any of these multiple oaths held at Durham DO for the next two weeks. They will have to wait for a judicial to become available, which can make your wait much longer.

Congratulation Fbanna, your story was wonderfull, I'm very excited about my Oath Ceremony o:eek:.

Yesterday Murals ask about registration deadline:

"Can anyone find out during the oath ceremony about registering to vote after Oct 10th.
I cant find much details on the web about this..

Thanks "

Well last weekend in the mail come a brochure from The NC State Board of Elections, this one explain five ways to register to vote, one is in person at one-stop absentee voting sites: you can register, and also vote at the same time if you wish, at any One-Stop absentee (early) voting site. These sites will be open from Oct 16 until Nov. 1.
For more information go to: www.sboe.state.nc.us
I hope this help everybody :)

Yes, zseyer is correct..In NC you can register to vote at an one stop absentee (early) voting site between Oct16-Nov1 so that is good news for those whose oath falls after october 10th.

Most people were in semi formal attire. But I was in formal attire because this was the biggest day of my life.

I saw a lady wearing flip flops,:eek: but she didn't get quicked. :D

Congratulations, fbanna! :D

By the time my oath ceremony comes around, it'll be too cold to wear flip flops... :cool: