Raleigh/Durham NC - N-400 Timeline

Hi all

My journey to become a US citizen came to an end on 6th nov. I had my oath ceremony in the Charlotte DO on 6th. Sorry for posting this late

It was a very sweet ceremony. There were 101 people from 49 countries, it seems it was the highest number of people they had so far.There was a video shown and then welcome from the President and the song " Proud to be american". then the certificates were given out.

My journey started in December 2007 and came to an end in Nov 2008. Thanks to every single on this board for all their help and advice.

Congratulations! Was there anybody from the SSA, passport agency and/or voter registration in attendance?

Thanks for the well wishes, Washburn and Murali. I also expect everything to go fine this time. I'm just employing a bit of gallows humour after my eventful 16 month roller-coaster ride! :)

Washburn - Enjoy your oath ceremony on Monday morning, and good luck for your exam in the afternoon!

Murali - Congrats on getting your passport. You ought do some visa-free test driving!

Hi all

My journey to become a US citizen came to an end on 6th nov. I had my oath ceremony in the Charlotte DO on 6th. Sorry for posting this late

It was a very sweet ceremony. There were 101 people from 49 countries, it seems it was the highest number of people they had so far.There was a video shown and then welcome from the President and the song " Proud to be american". then the certificates were given out.

My journey started in December 2007 and came to an end in Nov 2008. Thanks to every single on this board for all their help and advice.

Congrats, mjkk! Another one bites the dust... :D

so, I have a "?" about PP application:
does the nat. certificate serve as both proof of US citizenship and proof of identity? (It's listed as and example of evidence/proof for both those areas).

did you guys send anything else for "proof of identity"? with the pp appl., or just the nat. cert?

All that is needed to apply for PP is naturalization certificate, application form and fee. They will ask for driver's license as proof of identity when you apply.

oh, so you have to go somewhere and apply in person? like at a post office?
you can't just put all that in an envelope and send it off?

and is there any way to get a pp withOUT mailing anything (esp. nat cert), without emergency travel plans?

About PP and SSA after becoming citizen?

Hi eau_xplain

Sorry for replying to you late.

Yes during my oath ceremony there were some people from the Voter registration and they handed us a registration form and also explained the rules to us.

Regarding the Passport, I had my application form and documents ready for the passport, after I got my certificate, I went straight to my nearest postal office and applied for passport and now waiting for it to come.

Can anyone here tell me, What do I need to do with the Social security office, Do I call them or fill out a form to update my information.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob - taking my kids to oath

Yes I had called up the IO after I had asked here

I got a lady to talk to and she was very nice and she said that your family should go with you as it is a very important ceremony for you and it is ok to take your kids.

So I took our kids with us and they enjoyed it as my son knows the Pledge of Allegiance very well as they teach him at school and he repeated it at the ceremony :)

It was a nice ceremony

Any advice on what to do with the social security office. how do I update my information there?

Thanks, Murals.
Thanks, Bobsmyth
:)

I'll post details tomorrow late PM, after the exam etc... (pity we can't post pics here)
Wifey already had this exact day off...even before I got the OL :) she'll be driving me tomorrow.

I am done... :D
...had my oath ceremony in Durham at 09:30 am.

8 months...and I can say it went pretty smooth, and I'm happy about my time line...
Thanks to many here who helped and encouraged me in many ways...too many to name.
SafferJoe: you'd be there soon buddy: good luck with your interview on Wed.

My wife drove us to the DO and after getting through security, they collected the oath letter, and then green cards when we entered the main hall for oath. There were about 100 people to take the oath.

The director of the Durham DO (Jeffry something) conducted the ceremony...he gave a nice little speech, and apologized for not getting us in before the elections, and made a joke "how many of you voted anyway? that's a trick question".
and after that we were shown the videos "proud to be an American" ( many people cried a bit during that), and then the welcome message from Pres. Bush. Then we took the oath (guests were allowed to take photos during all times), and spoke after the DO director, and then pledged allegiance to the US. After that we were called row by row to collect out nat. certificates. they didn't need us to sign it there. They did forget to put the date on it, but everyone could go to the counter and get a date stamped on it.

After that we took some pics in the hall by the American flag in the hall, and helped others to take some pics, and then...I walked out the door, with my wife into the coldish but sunny NC weather, as a brand new American :)
It was a mixture of relief, and a strengthened feeling of belonging and pride that I felt...my wifey was so happy... hard to believe we never have to spend whole nights copying papers and putting together huge applications again.

As I had an exam at 2.00 pm we only had a simple brunch at Briggs in Cary, and then drove home...I had my exam and it went well, i might end up with a B i think...
Have to celebrate later this week for real, when my exam (yes, another one) on Thu is over... :D
I'm gonna try to get my SS status updated and apply for a USPP as soon as I get a chance..

Again, thanks so much for all the support, guys and gals...those who're still waiting: your day will come soon, just have patience, and best of luck. I will remain active on this forum, and do whatever I can to offer details or help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations Washburn!! Great to hear that everything worked out. Now the next big thing to tackle is your graduation :)

Thanks, Bobsmyth. It sure feels good to be done. :)
Graduating pharmacy school is easier in one way: I only have to depend on my own performance, and not USCIS :D
but seriously, I think Durham DO is holding oath ceremonies more and more frequently, and looks like they're doing what they can do move people quickly through the process.

HELP! i got this when i search online for my case status
Validation Error(s)
You must correct the following error(s) before proceeding:
Your case information is incomplete within Case Status Online. For further assistance, you can either call the National Customer Service Center at 1.800.375.5283, or you can send an e-mail to uscis.webmaster@dhs.gov.

got my FP on 10/15 does that means they sending me interview letter soon??