Question regarding International trips to Mexico while US Citizenship is in process

ask_gc

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

I have a question regarding international travel while my US citizenship is in process and your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I would be applying for my US Citizenship in 2nd week of Dec, 2010. I may be required to make a few trips to Mexico for work (at client’s place Mon - Friday) after filing my US Citizenship. Can you please let me know if it’s advisable to make international trips while US citizenship is in process? Would it impact my US citizenship process?

I would have an option to work remotely from the client’s US location on a project but would like to know your opinion just in case if I am required to go to Mexico.

Thanks,

Is your employer a US company?If so, M-F trips to Mexico as part of work project during the naturalization process are not an issue.

Are these upcoming trips part of a larger pattern of other frequent or long trips in the recent past or future, or just an isolated set of a few short trips?

Thanks for your reply.

Bobsmyth - yes, my employer is a US company. I would be required to go to Mexico for client visits. I would be traveling to Mexico on Monday and would be flying back to the US on Thursday or Friday.

Jackolantern - These would be isolated short trips while my US citizenship is in process. I maybe required to go to Mexico (Monday-Friday) for a few weeks.. maybe 5 or 6 trips

keep a track of your physical presence days. Please ensure it is met not only on application date but on date of your interview and on date of your oath ceremony too.

Yeah those trips should not be any problem. Just keep the dates because the IO might ask you if you traveled outside after filing. You are still a permanent resident until your oath so you will be able to do anything regularly and that includes traveling. Even though you will only be gone for 5 days at a time, keep your eyes open for any mail.

Absolutely!! I will keep in mind all your suggestions. Thanks again for your valuable inputs.. I appreciate it.