Question for those who applied for the passport book and card separately

Was your son's passport card expired at that time? You can't renew a passport card without sending your non-expired passport card to the State Department because you will end up with two valid passport cards. What form did you use? I am not saying it can't be done, only that there does not seem to be a way without marking incorrect fields on the application.

No. His passport book expired in mid June and passport card in early August of 2013. I applied for his new passport and passport card in April 2013. Yes, we ended with 2 valid passport cards for a short period of time. Only his expiring passport book was included in the application. Since he was still a minor, we had to use DS-11.

For renewal the DS-82 instructions say to send the most recent passport book or card. However, I don't think that means if you have a card and a book you must send the most recent of the two. I interpret that to mean if you're sending a card, send your most recent card, and if you're sending a book send your most recent book.

That's the understanding I'll use when I apply for renewal. The DS-82 form has separate questions for the number and expiration of the book and card, so I'll list both. First I'll send the expired passport for renewal while keeping the still-valid passport card. Then after receiving the new book, I'll wait until the card expires and send that card in for renewal. If it turns out that my understanding is wrong, they'll ask me for what they need and I'll send it.

For renewal the DS-82 instructions say to send the most recent passport book or card. However, I don't think that means if you have a card and a book you must send the most recent of the two. I interpret that to mean if you're sending a card, send your most recent card, and if you're sending a book send your most recent book.

That's the understanding I'll use when I apply for renewal. The DS-82 form has separate questions for the number and expiration of the book and card, so I'll list both. First I'll send the expired passport for renewal while keeping the still-valid passport card. Then after receiving the new book, I'll wait until the card expires and send that card in for renewal. If it turns out that my understanding is wrong, they'll ask me for what they need and I'll send it.

I think that is a correct interpretation. If one has several expired passports, DoS requires you to send the most recent one. I also interpret the instructions as sending either book or card if one has both. One can also use a book to apply for a card and vice versa.
As I indicated earlier, for my son I sent expiring passport book to apply for book and card.

As I indicated earlier, for my son I sent expiring passport book to apply for book and card.
So, on DS-11 you had to check "Submitting with application" for both passport book and passport card, but you only sent a book? Just like I said, practically it can be done, but theoretically it is impossible without providing incorrect information on the DS-11 form.

Now, taking a closer look at DS-82, I can see that an applicant can only put the document number and issue date, but there are no mandatory fields "submitting", "lost", etc unlike on DS-11.

So, on DS-11 you had to check "Submitting with application" for both passport book and passport card, but you only sent a book? Just like I said, practically it can be done, but theoretically it is impossible without providing incorrect information on the DS-11 form.

Now, taking a closer look at DS-82, I can see that an applicant can only put the document number and issue date, but there are no mandatory fields "submitting", "lost", etc unlike on DS-11.

I chose the 'In my possession" option for passport card on the application.

You chose "in my possesion (if expired)" even though the passport card was not expired? So, you provided a false statement. That proves my point that whatever you choose on the DS-11 form, you cannot send only one document (out of two valid ones) without providing an incorrect information.

You chose "in my possesion (if expired)" even though the passport card was not expired? So, you provided a false statement. That proves my point that whatever you choose on the DS-11 form, you cannot send only one document (out of two valid ones) without providing an incorrect information.

The form I used had 4 options:

In my possession
Stolen
Lost
Other____

So don't accuse me of providing a false statement.

First, I would like to clarify that I am not accusing anyone of anything. I am talking about whether it is theoretically possible to submit only one valid document while retaining another valid document without providing incorrect information on DS-11. Apparently, older DS-11 (used by nkm-oct23) had different choices in regards to valid documents in possession of an applicant. However, the current one does not allow for such possibility.

First, I would like to clarify that I am not accusing anyone of anything. I am talking about whether it is theoretically possible to submit only one valid document while retaining another valid document without providing incorrect information on DS-11. Apparently, older DS-11 (used by nkm-oct23) had different choices in regards to valid documents in possession of an applicant. However, the current one does not allow for such possibility.

You stated .."So, you provided a false statement" in your post! If that is not accusation, I don't know what is.
Let us be civil to each other.