Question about the N-400 Child support evidence????

hope_2008

:confused::confused::confused:

I have question about the following requirement of N-400
If you have a dependent spouse or children who do not live with you, send:
· Any court or government order to provide financial support; and
· Evidence of your financial support (including evidence that you have complied with any court or government order)

Does this requirement is only applicable if there is court or govt order for child support or it applies even if there is no such court order and spouse /child living in native country for number of years ?????

My Background:
  • I filed N-400 in Sept 2008 to VSC on my own not through attorney on the basis of 5- yr GC (I got GC in NOV 2002), FP completed.
  • My wife and child left USA in 2003, so wife’s US visa status = NONE, child born in US so she has US passport. In my N-400 I have mentioned wife and child living in India and Wife’s US visa Status= NONE.
  • I filled for Divorce few years back in India but still there is neighter final decision on it and NOR any govt/court order for child support. (This information is not mentioned in N-400).
  • I have been paying school fees and sending online gifts regularly to my child. I have CDs on my child’s name. But I don’t have record of monthly payment/cancelled checks. In my divorce petition I have mentioned I am ready to take complete responsibility of my child. But waiting for court decision.

I would really appreciate if any could guide me in understanding potential problem I might face during interview or I need to take Immigration lawyer with me.

Thanks in advance

Hello

Can some one help me understanding the following requirement, please see me orginila post for background, appreciate help in advance

I have question about the following requirement of N-400
If you have a dependent spouse or children who do not live with you, send:
· Any court or government order to provide financial support; and
· Evidence of your financial support (including evidence that you have complied with any court or government order)

It's only applicable to state or court ordered payments. The question is used to establish moral character by determining if you ever failed to pay alimony.

Until your divorce is finalized, you should cite yourself as Married. If divorce is finalized and you have a final decree before the interview date, please take a lawyer and update the marital status then.