• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Question about level of education

Jazzns

In application there is next question:
What is the highest level of education you have achieved, as of today?

Options are:

Primary school only
High School, no degree
High School degree
Vocational School
Some University Courses
University Degree
Some Graduate Level Courses
Master Degree
Some Doctorate Level Courses
Doctorate Degree

I am on Master Degree Course with four more exams before I graduate! Only diploma I have is high school diploma! I plan to graduate in January! In question it says As Of Today so if apply today I still don't have my Master Degree! I don't know what to put! I think that I have to put High School degree?

Anyone can help me?

Some first level US universities could admit a very bright person even to a PhD program without formal education.
I know a 12-year old middle school dropout from Japan (he started his carreer as a computer programmer at a private company at the age of 12), who was admitted to PhD program into MIT at the age of 24 even without a high school degree. He was a CEO of the company I worked for at that moment.

However, that is not really possible for a regular US university, only for a top level one.

Last edited by a moderator:
The most appropriate choice would be "Some Graduate Level Courses" (assuming of course that you have already completed some courses).

Some first level US universities could admit a very bright person even to a PhD program without formal education.

Moreover, in some countries (such as Germany) it is possible to have university degrees that are generally considered equivalent to Master's degrees but that don't have this distinction between undergraduate and graduate degrees (as is the case in North America).

When I enrolled the faculty the schooling lasted for 5 years and I was not able to choose between bachelor's and master's! My faculty was in the beginning of Bologna process at that time so my generation was one of the few that didn't need bachelor's before master's! That's why I don't have any diploma after high school!
What means "Some Graduate Level Courses" and what is my proof for that?

""Some Graduate Level Courses" simply means that you have completed some graduate level courses towards a graduate degree without actually completing the degree. That option specifically exists for people such as you who are in the middle of their studies. The proof of that would be any official transcript from the university which shows your participation in those courses (even before completion of the degree).

However, the minimum requirement for participation is only a high school diploma, so if it is difficult to obtain such a transcript from your university, you would not encounter any problems if you were to select "high school degree" instead.

The most appropriate choice would be "Some Graduate Level Courses" (assuming of course that you have already completed some courses).
I would not do that.

I heard about a case when a person, being divorced, mentioned marital status unmarried on the electronic form. And later was denied for suspicion of duplicate entry (one entry could have been sent as divorced, another as unmarried).

DS-230 form mentions choices as never married, divorced, widowed. The electronic form uses unmarried, divorced, widowed, separated, e t.c.

Formally she chose unmarried, that was correct even for being divorced. But the consul decided the risk of miltiple entry exists, because out of two choices (unmarried, divorced) divorced is closer, even though the second choice is formally correct. I guess, the consul oriented to the form DS-230 choices (never married versus unmarried).

Here DS-122 form lists choices:
High School, No Degree
High School Diploma
Vocational School
College, No Degree
University Degree
Advanced Degree
Other

I would say this situation is the closest to High School Diploma, closer than to other among those choices.

So, if the consul suspects you have sent two entries (one as high school diploma, another one as some graduate level courses), the consul would have to make a decision whether you chose the closest one. I would say "some graduate level courses" is probably not the closest, espacially if you take into account DSP-122 choices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on your answers and as I also thought, I will put High School Diploma!
Thank you all for fast reply!

Hi friends i am from Kenya

I recently filled my DV application for DV 2010 and i selected my education level as (high school no degree) BUT why i selected that due to i finished my High school GCSE 'O' level in 2002 UK syllabus but i kinda didn't get the good marks/grades so i was not awarded a certificate from the GCSE so all i hold is my completion of secondary from my SCHOOL and my school leaving certificate so on the basis of completion of my secondary education is it possible i am get through or how to you friends suggest please all who can assist please do i am stressed,Do u require certain marks in secondary.

Thanks
Edit/Delete Message