Query on behalf of a friend

hopeGC2005

Registered Users (C)
I have a query on behalf of a friend.
He is right now working for Comany B.He used to work Company A,which had filed
for his Green Card.His Labor was cleared and so was I-140 with Company A few years back.
Now since his Company B has not filed for his GC and he is approaching his six year limit,
he wants to know if he can use I-140 of Company A.
But another problem he has, is he does not have any documents,saying his Labor is cleared
and I-140 is cleared etc.His Company A does not have these documents.
So,can he at all get these documents from USCIS or rather somehow file his I-485??

hopeGC2005 said:
for his Green Card.His Labor was cleared and so was I-140 with Company A few years back.
Now since his Company B has not filed for his GC and he is approaching his six year limit,
But another problem he has, is he does not have any documents,saying his Labor is cleared
So,can he at all get these documents from USCIS or rather somehow file his I-485??

Though I am not 100% sure, From what I understand, your friend can file I-485 based on his approved I-140. Through a new lawyer, he can send AC21 letter, stating the change of lawyer and the new job is has duties similar to the old one etc.
Company A should ahve his labor and I-140. If not he can get I-140 using FOIA (Freedon of Information act). May be he has to file some forms and get it from the USCIS.

hopeGC2005 said:

Does he has his I-140 receipt number?

He has got just the I-140 approval date of Jan 8,2001.
Like flcdatacenter for Labor,is there any website for I-140??

hopeGC2005 said:
He has got just the I-140 approval date of Jan 8,2001.
Like flcdatacenter for Labor,is there any website for I-140??

Only if you have receipt number, you can check your application status on USCIS website. But he doesn't have that.
Has he really tried to contact his previous employer and found out that they do not have that info, or it is just his guess? One thing his employer could do is to call the lawyer or USCIS 800# and findout the receipt #.
You may also try to contact the lawyer, who filed the 140, he should also have a copy of approval notice. Tell the lawyer that you want to hire him to file 485.

I just got my I-140 receipt from my lawyer. Each I-140 receipt has the persons name on it, so If he provides his name, using FOIA, he will be able to get the right receipt, even if he does not know the LIN#.

Alien's number?

:) When do we get Alien's number? When we file H1B or LC or I140 or I485?
What is Alien's Number? Is it in our my passport?

vav said:
:) When do we get Alien's number? When we file H1B or LC or I140 or I485?
What is Alien's Number? Is it in our my passport?

You get it upon I140 filing. It comes in I140 receipt.

FOIA with Alien's number? Catch 22?

As per FOIA form instructions, we can't apply for FOIA without Alien's Number.

I140 receipt notice contains Alien's number.

How do we apply FOIA to get I140 documents(which includes receipt & approval notice) when we don't have I140 receipt (which has the alien number)?

Seems like Catch 22 here?

Is Alien's number a must for FOIA?

How can we apply for I140/LC documents through FOIA without Alien's number.

the best bet is asking previous employer or lawyer of prev employer for
A#. They should have copy of I140 receipt/approval notice.