PROOF Of RESIDENCY

king27

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone
I do have a friend is applying for his a green card based on asylum and he wants to know how to get the proof of one year of residency after granted asylum .
my friend did not work and did not go to school either so I don't know what to advise him if anyone knows about this issue let me know thank you .

If he has asylum approved, he should have some documents stating such status. It could be an I-94 or decision paper which have the date of grant of asylum, and I think this should be enough to satisty the residence requirement...good luck to your friend's application...

king27 said:
Hi everyone
I do have a friend is applying for his a green card based on asylum and he wants to know how to get the proof of one year of residency after granted asylum .
my friend did not work and did not go to school either so I don't know what to advise him if anyone knows about this issue let me know thank you .
He has to prove that he was physically present in the US for one year after the grant of asylum - he can show his lease, if he is renting, or if he has home - he can show the mortgage papers. Letters from his doctor if he had regular health check-ups are ok, too. Or if he/she has children and they attend school/kindergarten - letters from there. Basically, this could be a letter from some authority that verifies that he lived in this country for one year, and they know it because they had a regular contact with him. Also you can read the instructions for 1-485 filing and it has some examples of acceptable letters for this situation.

king27 said:
Hi everyone

if you pay property tax(car, home etc), it shows proof of residency. Utility papers(gas, electric, water) bills also show 1 year residency. He had to live somewhere?

If for 1 year he just chilled and did nothing(no work, school) etc, he must have a bank account? A listing of deposits and Debits also can prove that.

In the end, you can also write an affadavit saying you have been in the country for 1 year or/and also ask 2 people(legal residents) to write affadavits that they know that you have been present in the U.S for 1 year.

doctorn said:
He has to prove that he was physically present in the US for one year after the grant of asylum - he can show his lease, if he is renting, or if he has home - he can show the mortgage papers. Letters from his doctor if he had regular health check-ups are ok, too. Or if he/she has children and they attend school/kindergarten - letters from there. Basically, this could be a letter from some authority that verifies that he lived in this country for one year, and they know it because they had a regular contact with him. Also you can read the instructions for 1-485 filing and it has some examples of acceptable letters for this situation.

Mortgage papers from an asylee?! I thought only USCs and LPRs can own
homes :confused:

thankful said:
Huh? What were you smoking?

Anyone who can afford it can own a home.

I mean you can't be approved for a mortgage loan unless you are
a green card holder or have citizenship.

And this is even mentioned in the USCIS immigrant guide. Among
the benefits of a green card is the to be able to own a house.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone who can affort a house...

can buy one. I bought mine when I was an asylee, two years ago. I know iligal people how have bought houses. So I don't know where did you get that info. from.

faysal said:
If he has asylum approved, he should have some documents stating such status. It could be an I-94 or decision paper which have the date of grant of asylum, and I think this should be enough to satisty the residence requirement...good luck to your friend's application...
Thank you Faycal but you need to read what I am asking thank you .

wantmygcnow said:
if you pay property tax(car, home etc), it shows proof of residency. Utility papers(gas, electric, water) bills also show 1 year residency. He had to live somewhere?

If for 1 year he just chilled and did nothing(no work, school) etc, he must have a bank account? A listing of deposits and Debits also can prove that.

In the end, you can also write an affadavit saying you have been in the country for 1 year or/and also ask 2 people(legal residents) to write affadavits that they know that you have been present in the U.S for 1 year.
Thank you very much ,for your answer. Yes I am sure he has one of what u listed

Thank you

cool07 said:

First of all, asylees are treated the same as permanent residents by most people in the banking industry.

Second of all and this is a more important point, everybody who is credit worthy can get a mortgage. Plenty of people on H1b visas buy houses. In fact even undocumented immigrants buy houses.

Banks might charge these people a higher rate.

The information you have is entirely incorrect.

Last edited by a moderator:
cool07 said:

Hey dude I got my first mortgage to buy a home when I was only an asylum applicant.

kiev said:
Hey dude I got my first mortgage to buy a home when I was only an asylum applicant.

I guess it all depends on the lender. I applied for mortgage when I had asylum status (before a I got my GC), but the mortgage agent told me that the lender would not approve your application.

cool07 said:
I guess it all depends on the lender. I applied for mortgage when I had asylum status (before a I got my GC), but the mortgage agent told me that the lender would not approve your application.

could be. But the majority of lenders approve loans for people regardless of immigration status. I have friends who are on nonimmigrant visas and they get mortgages for fancy homes.

Your agent either did not know what he was talking about or the lender he knew was an exception to the rule.

It's not true. I mean for me, as an asylee I tried to get a scholarship for going to the university and because I am not PR they denied my request. Also I applied for a job position and in the interview they told me that onlly accept PR or citizens. It is not discrimination???? I don't say that for somebody in his forum didn't apply but not in all states of the country consider us with our rights.

Daniela Coronad said:
Also I applied for a job position and in the interview they told me that onlly accept PR or citizens. It is not discrimination???? I

dude they cannot do that and you should have complainted to the Department of Justice directly (they have a 800 number to serve you).

king27 said:
Thank you Faycal but you need to read what I am asking thank you .

King: I have read and understood what you said, but I think each person's case is different. In my case and many people I have helped to file for greencard the only thing we provided was a copy of the I-94. I was never asked to prove to bring additional evidence; like lease or bank account etc...So my answer is just based on my experience....

thankful said:
[\B] everybody who is credit worthy can get a mortgage[/B].

The information you have is entirely incorrect.

There are many factors used in mortgage approval besides
credit worthiness. Job security is another factor. Not to
mention off course your residency status.

The bottom line is that your application has to show to the creditor
that you are a low risk borrower.

cool07 said:
There are many factors used in mortgage approval besides
credit worthiness. Job security is another factor. Not to
mention off course your residency status.

The bottom line is that your application has to show to the creditor
that you are a low risk borrower.

The bottom line is actually that plenty of non permanent residents have residential mortgages.

frombasra said:
The bottom line is actually that plenty of non permanent residents have residential mortgages.

The bottom line is that realtors/lenders are starting to become as greedy as
lawyers--not to mention their unique crookedness.