Project "Ocean" : Become a U.S. Citizen by 2008 Election !!

Letter from Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren (D CA 16th) - Town Hall Meetings 10/11/2003

I received a letter from Zoe Lofgren yesterday (on 10/27/2003).
-kashmir
Originally posted by kashmir 12th October 2003 02:51 AM

rk4gc, I (kashmir), and other two guys attended the first one.

Ms. Lofgren appeared just at 9am and started the meeting.
Also, many people surrounded her after the meeting,
so we had no chance to talk directly with her.

However, we handed two sets of documents,
1) cover letter w/signature, address (1 page)
2) petition (8 pages)
3) list of signatures (115 pages)
to Ms. Jennifer, one of staff,
and she promised to arrange a meeting with Congresswoman for us (ImmigrationPortal.Com)
and to inform rk4gc, a resident of CA 16th district.

She talked about Iraq and economy (jobless problem) for the first 10 minutes,
then Q&A for about one hours.
Most of questions were related to the above two issues.
There was some discussion about PATRIOT Act, and everyone seemed to hate John Ashcroft.
-kashmir

get GC faster

good work on this thread. in parallel, those of you eligible for AC140 should give it a shot. it'll speed up the GC tremendously. while i applaud the efforts to change laws, i also encourage as many of you as possible to use AC140 as a legitimate and speedy way out of the 485 quagmire.

Good point

The following is a requirement according to the Consulate in Chennai for ACI140:

>waiting for the INS to process the change-of-status application would cause the applicant hardship

Kind of an ironic requirement- Not how one can prove this, though it seem so obvious every second.

Also there is no mention of I824 what so ever.

Rohufish have you been down this path yourself.

Email to Dan Gillmor technology columist, San Jose Mercury News

First of all Congrats Kashmir for 10,000 views. I wish your efforts are going to be fruitful.

Briefly,
Mr. Dan Gillmor rapped H1-B cap increase supporters and suggested faster Green Card Process in his Oct 29th column in Business. After reading it I sent an email to him and pointed to the petion. Got an auto reply as he is on vacation. Hope he will read the email.

My Subject for the email I sent

" Please read : Your article on October 29th, 2003"

Dear Mr. Dan Gillmor,

I follow your columns closely and the recent column on
H1-B cap prompted me to write this email.

I agree with your opinion on the current cap. USA
certainly needs some H1s but with current economic
down turn and the job market an increase in H1-B cap
is not necessary.

But the the idea I absolutely agree with you is "Green
Cards, not H1-Bs". The process of Green Cards for
employment based applicants is very slow. If a person
applies for Green Card now, with the current
processing time, its going to take 10 years to get the
Green Card.

All this time the person has to depend mostly on H1-B
and cannot take any major decisions in his life. And
the chances of an employer abusing the employee during
the Green Card process are high. Fortunately I'm fine
with my employer :).

I request you to please read a petition hosted at

http://www.immigration.com/common/rsk/petition_I485.html

and if you think you can do any thing about it please
do. I'll be very happy if you can write about it in
San Jose Mercury news.

many thinks for reading this email,

sincerely,
xxxxxxxx

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Email to Dan Gillmor technology columist, San Jose Mercury News

Hi, rk4gc,
It's great your sending e-mail to Mr. Dan Gillmor at the San Jose Mercury News.
-kashmir
Originally posted by rk4gc
First of all Congrats Kashmir for 10,000 views. I wish your efforts are going to be fruitful.

Briefly,
Mr. Dan Gillmor rapped H1-B cap increase supporters and suggested faster Green Card Process in his Oct 29th column in Business. After reading it I sent an email to him and pointed to the petion. Got an auto reply as he is on vacation. Hope he will read the email.

My Subject for the email I sent
" Please read : Your article on October 29th, 2003"

Re: Re: Email to Dan Gillmor technology columist, San Jose Mercury News

Originally posted by kashmir
Hi, rk4gc,
It's great your sending e-mail to Mr. Dan Gillmor at the San Jose Mercury News.
-kashmir

Good work rk4gc. I wrote to various media but unfortunately no/few response.

The best approach to get media coverage is to go for Paid news distribution system targeting government and national media.

But I still encourage everyone to write to media.

rk4gc - Zoe Lofgren

Originally posted at another thread by rk4gc 29th October 2003 11:03 PM
I got a reply from Congress Woman Zoe Lofgren Office stating that "Congresswoman is aware of the lengthy waiting process by the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services."

However, to schedule a meeting to discuss I-485 applications, in general, asked me to contact Sandra Soto, Chief of Staff, Office of Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren, and it seems she will be away from the office until approximately November 10th.

I'll try to contact Ms. Sandra Soto and will update you if I get an appointment.

Kashmir are you willing to join me if any meeting is scheduled. I told we are about 10,000 online community and I'm a volunteer for this effort from San Jose. While requesting for meeting I can let her know how many of us are willing join for the meeting.
Hi, rk4gc,
I also received a letter from Zoe Lofgren on Monday as a response to my personal question handed to a staff at the town hall meeting, so she just gave me the contact information of Anna Eshoo because I am not a resident in CA 16th district.

For the meeting with Zoe Lofgren,
> Kashmir are you willing to join me if any meeting is scheduled.
I will definitely join you.
But, I wonder how many people would join us ...

Anyway, once I would hear from Alis at Anna Eshoo office, I will step forward early next week.
-kashmir

E-Mail : Response from Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren

I had sent e-mail supporting her statement about ten days ago,
and I have just recieved e-mail.

Subject: Response from Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren

October 31, 2003

(my name)
(my address)

Dear Friend:

Thank you so much for your e-mail and for taking the time to read my comments on the President's request for an additional $87 billion for Iraq. I appreciate your support on this important issue.

Again, thank you for your thoughts.

Sincerely,

Zoe Lofgren
Member of Congress

P.S. If you are interested in signing up for my e-newsletter, please visit my website at http://www.house.gov/lofgren/ and submit your e-mail.

ZL:ek

Note:
ZL is Zoe Lofgren, and
ek is a staff whose initial is E.K.

EB I-485 processing dates

Code:
EB I-485 processing dates
     10/15/02    10/15/03 months
----^--------^--^--------^------
CSC  10/01/01 -> 12/16/01  2.5
VSC  09/15/01 -> 01/15/02  4.0
NSC  06/17/01 -> 08/10/01  2.0
TSC  10/01/00 -> 01/23/01  3.5
The processing date of EB I-485 at the CSC proceeded only two months and a half per year,
but it proceeded four months at the VSC.

I think the reason is the difference of "resource" at the service centers as described at:
http://www.murthy.com/ukvsc.html

As you know, CIS FY2004 budget is still not enough, and one month has already passed.

Our petition of ImmigrationPortal.Com is common to all service centers,
however, the short-term resource allocation is competition among the service centers due to the limited budget.
If another service center would win, the CSC would lose as FY2003.

Frankly speaking, I am disappointed with the result of the fax compaign to CA Senators.
However, I'd still like to continue that campaign for a while.
If I can not get enough endorsements, I may have to change my strategy.

Zoe + CA senators

Please count me in for a meeting with Zoe Lofgren.
Also I will be sending in a fax to the CA senators and will update you.
Will also ask a few friends to join in
Thanks

We should stage a protest in front of BCIS (CSC) office at Laguna. It should be peaceful and we can get try to get some media coverage at the same time. Submit the petition during the protest. This can be the only way to stir up the chain to do something....

What do you guys say? This process is not new and does not have to fear that since you staged a protest, you will not get GC. If it at all it can do is get the ball rolling otherwise nothing.

We need dedication, plan and committment to do this and show up at the venue...

But let me know your thoughts on this? It doesn't have to be tomorrow but with a proper plan....

kashmir and friends,

Just curious if anybody have some doc that explains how USA politics, congress, senate, special interest groups, lobbying, lawmaking works. I am looking for a brief doc, something like 4-10 pages.

K_Y

Re: Talked to Ms. Alis Aguirre at Anne Eshoo (D CA 14th) Washington DC office

I called Ms. Alis Aquirre yesterday (on 11/3/2003), but she was in the meeting.
I will try to talk with her today (on 11/4/2003).
-kashmir
Originally posted by kashmir 27th October 2003 12:57 PM
I called to Anna Eshoo's Washington DC office and talked with Alis Aguirre.
Thanks to the fax campaign of the last week,
she seemed completely to understand our requests, especially our presence of "ImmigrationPortal.Com".

Unfortunately, since Congresswoman was too busy last week, Alis had no chance to talk with Congresswoman.
As Congresswoman will be back in the office on Wednesday,
Alis promised me to talk to Congresswoman on Wednesday, then to update to me.
-kashmir

Re: Zoe + CA senators

Originally posted by desi_mazdur
Please count me in for a meeting with Zoe Lofgren.
Also I will be sending in a fax to the CA senators and will update you.
Will also ask a few friends to join in
Thanks
Hi, desi_mazdur,
Thanks in advance.
Once you faxed, please post at fax campaign thread.
-kashmir

Originally posted by kadamtal
We should stage a protest in front of BCIS (CSC) office at Laguna. It should be peaceful and we can get try to get some media coverage at the same time. Submit the petition during the protest. This can be the only way to stir up the chain to do something....

What do you guys say? This process is not new and does not have to fear that since you staged a protest, you will not get GC. If it at all it can do is get the ball rolling otherwise nothing.

We need dedication, plan and committment to do this and show up at the venue...

But let me know your thoughts on this? It doesn't have to be tomorrow but with a proper plan....
Hi, kadamtal,
Many people in this forum seem not to be interested in contacting Congressioanl people, so this thread is unpopular.
I encourage you to take the initiative for MEDIA CAMPAIGN and to start new thread for that.
-kashmir

Originally posted by karma_yoga
kashmir and friends,
Just curious if anybody have some doc that explains how USA politics, congress, senate, special interest groups, lobbying, lawmaking works. I am looking for a brief doc, something like 4-10 pages.
K_Y
Hi, karma_yoga,
Frankly speaking, I am not familier with these topics.
I think rk4gc or kadamtal (or somebody) can show us good documents.
-kashmir

Hi Kashmir,

I know over 100 people in my circle who have their cases filed from CSC and are pending for more than 2 years now. I tried getting interest in them to pursue to at least fax petitions if not approach media, but they seem to be lacking the spine to stand up for what belongs to them.

They are all, let them take their sweet time, i got EAD, so i don't care kind of people. So are many on this forum. Track FP, Track EAD...screw tracking, it gives nothing but waste time...

My freakin' 2 cents...