Project "Ocean" : Become a U.S. Citizen by 2008 Election !!

kashmir

Registered Users (C)
A Guide to Naturalization (M-476)

Let's become a U.S. Citizen by 2008 and vote at 2008 Election !!

But, we have to solve the following problem.

General Naturalization Requirements
Residence and Physical Presence
An applicant is eligible to file if, immediately preceding the filing of the application, he or she:
  • has been lawfully admitted for permanent residence (see preceding section);
  • has resided continuously as a lawful permanent resident in the U.S. for at least 5 years prior to filing with no single absence from the United States of more than one year;
  • has been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the previous five years (absences of more than six months but less than one year shall disrupt the applicant's continuity of residence unless the applicant can establish that he or she did not abandon his or her residence during such period)
  • has resided within a state or district for at least three months

We have to wait for another five years after we get AOS approved.
However, we have(had) been already waiting only AOS approval for a long time due to EB I485 processing delay at the USCIS service centers.
It is extremely unfair to us.

So, INA(Immigration and Nationality Act) Sec. 316 must be amended.

Sec. 316. [8 U.S.C. 1427]

(a) No person, except as otherwise provided in this title, shall be naturalized, unless such applicant, (1) immediately preceding the date of filing his application for naturalization has resided continuously, after being lawfully admitted for permanent residence, within the United States for at least five years and during the five years immediately preceding the date of filing his application has been physically present therein for periods totaling at least half of that time, and who has resided within the State or within the district of the Service in the United States in which the applicant filed the application for at least three months, (2) has resided continuously within the United States from the date of the application up to the time of admission to citizenship, (3) during all the periods referred to in this subsection has been and still is a person of good moral character, attached to the principles of the Constitution of the United States, and well disposed to the good order and happiness of the United States.

10/29/2005
the link to INA Sec.316 updated
URL changed from www.immigration.gov to uscis.gov

11/03/2005
petition pdf file attached

Last edited by a moderator:
Count me in,kashmir, we'll work it out.
Better for us to do something else since we still hang in this forum anyway ;)

Immigration Benefits (Permanent Residence and Naturalization)

Thanks, noginoypi.
Originally posted by noginoypi
Count me in,kashmir, we'll work it out.
Better for us to do something else since we still hang in this forum anyway ;)
This is one of requests at our Immigration Benefits (Permanent Residence and Naturalization) Backlog Petition to the U.S. Congress.

6. Amend Naturalization Requirements:
Immigration & Nationality Act (INA) Sec. 316. [8 U.S.C. 1427] states that “ No person, except as otherwise provided in this title, shall be naturalized, unless such applicant, (1) immediately preceding the date of filing his application for naturalization has resided continuously, after being lawfully admitted for permanent residence, within the United States for at least five years”.
The INA should be amended so that, for people who had obtained the permanent residency through Employment, the five year lawful residency requirement should start from the day adjustment of status application (I-485) was filed with USCIS. Alternatively, The immigration benefits applicants suggest that the naturalization eligibility for people who had obtained the permanent residency through Employment should be changed, so that it requires the applicant must be a permanent resident and must have resided in USA for 8 years with valid legal status to work.

We have to have at least one Congressional person to introduce a bill to amend the Act (INA).
-kashmir

Send the Petition to Congressional offices

As the first step, I encourage to send the petition (PDF) at the thread to two Senators in your state and one Congressperson in your district.
I recommend phisically delivered method such as FAX or (USPS) MAIL with your signature and your residential address rather than E-MAIL.
You should receive a written letter from Congressional members within a month.

I have already faxed the petition to three Congressional offices in my district and state as described at the above thread,
and will continue doing that until I succeed to have a meeting to discuss about the petition.
For that, I need some number of endorsements.
-kashmir

11/03/2005
petition pdf file attached

Re: Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren Town Hall Meeting 10/11/2003 San Jose

Originally posted by kashmir
I am planning to attend the town hall meeting of Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren,
who is member of Subcommittee on Immigration, Border Security, and Claims,
on 10/11/2003 in San Jose, California.
-kashmir

This seems a good idea. How about a group of people attending it, and submitting "The Petition" to the Congresswoman?

Kashmir, let us know your opinion, we can sign up at this thread it self or create yahoo group and sign up in the Calendar.

PS: Kashmir whats this "null.txt" in your posts, I dont find any thing in it :confused:

Re: Re: Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren Town Hall Meeting 10/11/2003 San Jose

Originally posted by rk4gc
This seems a good idea. How about a group of people attending it, and submitting "The Petition" to the Congresswoman?

Kashmir, let us know your opinion, we can sign up at this thread it self or create yahoo group and sign up in the Calendar.

PS: Kashmir whats this "null.txt" in your posts, I dont find any thing in it :confused:
Hi, rk4gc,
Thanks for your interest to my idea.
It is a good idea for a group of people to attend the meeting.

I will fax the petition on Monday.
Also, I will ask to have a short meeting (with us) on Saturday.
So, I would like as many people as possible to send the petition by FAX (or e-mail) on Moday, Tuesday, or Wednesday at latest.
I will bring 100 pages of document on Saturday.

I'd prefer using this thread rather than creating yahoo group if you don't mind.

For "null.txt", it is for future use like Project Kashmir #2 thread
because an attachment can not be uploaded on editing.
So, don't mind,
-kashmir

Re: Re: Re: Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren Town Hall Meeting 10/11/2003 San Jose

I will fax the petition on Monday.
Also, I will ask to have a short meeting (with us) on Saturday.
So, I would like as many people as possible to send the petition by FAX (or e-mail) on Moday, Tuesday, or Wednesday at latest.
I will bring 100 pages of document on Saturday.
Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren (D CA 16th)

Washington, D.C. Office:
102 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515
Phone: (202) 225-3072
Fax: (202) 225-3336

San Jose District Office:
635 N. First Street, Suite B
San Jose, CA 95112
Phone: (408) 271-8700
Fax: (408) 271-8713

Please fax The Petition Letter (8 pages of PDF file) to the above number.
-kashmir

11/03/2005
petition pdf file link corrected

Signup for townhall meeting Saturday, October 11, 2003

Kashmir,

Please specify which town hall meeting we are targetting. It seems there are three meetings.

rk in

Re: Signup for townhall meeting Saturday, October 11, 2003

Originally posted by rk4gc
Kashmir,

Please specify which town hall meeting we are targetting. It seems there are three meetings.

rk in
I'd prefer the first one:
Town Hall Meetings
Saturday, October 11, 2003
Hester Elementary School
1460 The Alameda
San Jose, CA 95126
9:00 AM - 10:00 AM

I will get there by 8:30am to have a short conversation with Congresswoman and her staffs before 9am.

Is it too early for you ?
-kashmir

FYI

I remember one publication right after or before the last election which was about an research on voting activity among different groups of US citizens. That showed that immigrants are way more active and pro-American than "old" citizens were. I could not find that document. If you happen to come across something like this please let everyone in the forum know. I think it is one more good argument for Kasmir's proposition. That will touch politicians' hearts more than any words of fairness. ;-)

Kashmir,
This is an awesome idea - rest assured, you have my whole hearted support, plse do let us know if anything is needed from us.

- GCDz

kashmir,

I think what you have started is a good idea. The important thing is that people in this forum should keep in touch "after" we get our GCs and remember this after we become citizens and try to influence the outcome of coming elections so that people like 'you know whom' would NEVER come to power again.
If we get our greencards and go on our merry way and forget these frustrations and worse, not do anything about it, then we are doing a huge disservice to people like ourselves.
So, fellow immigrants, wake up and smell the coffee- Kashmir flavor!!!

I am all for going to the town hall meeting and discussing issues! Count me in, let me know when and where and I will be there for the meeting.

petition and signatures FAXED to Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren

I have just faxed
1) my cover letter with my signature and my address
2) 8 pages of petition
3) 19 pages of California residents' signatures
to both
a) Washignton, D.C. Office, and
b) San Jose District Office.

As of 10:10am, 10/06/2003,
we have 394 California residents' signatures out of totally 2,463 signatures.

I will fax it to Anna Eshoo (D CA 14th) and Mike Honda (D CA 15th), too.

Please fax
1) your letter with your signature and your address, and
2) petition
to Congressional offices.
-kashmir
Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren (D CA 16th)

Washington, D.C. Office:
102 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515
Phone: (202) 225-3072
Fax: (202) 225-3336

San Jose District Office:
635 N. First Street, Suite B
San Jose, CA 95112
Phone: (408) 271-8700
Fax: (408) 271-8713

Please fax The Petition Letter (8 pages of PDF file) to the above number.
-kashmir

petition and signatures FAXED to Anna Eshoo and Mike Honda

I have faxed the following documents to Anna Eshoo (D CA 14th) and Mike Honda (D CA 15th), too.

Still, I encourage you to fax
2) petition
-kashmir
I have just faxed
1) my cover letter with my signature and my address
2) 8 pages of petition
3) 19 pages of California residents' signatures
to both
a) Washignton, D.C. Office, and
b) San Jose District Office.

As of 10:10am, 10/06/2003,
we have 394 California residents' signatures out of totally 2,463 signatures.

I will fax it to Anna Eshoo (D CA 14th) and Mike Honda (D CA 15th), too.

Please fax
2) petition
-kashmir