Processing time for green card based on asylum

I wish if the law is written that way! However, the eligibility of ead for at least 3 years before gc implies that there was unnecessary delay in the affirmative asylum process and/or gc processing. Normally, the asylum applicant should not wait more than 21-150 days before the interview, and the decision should not take more than two weeks after the interview, and after a year of granting asylum the gc process should not take more than 6 months, and that was the case before 2014. So, in my opinion, the 3 years condition of having ead before gc is reasonable, otherwise people can apply for GC much quicker than the normal process in the past.

Again, I totally understand your point.

My point is that this change creates inequality. Meaning that a person who was eligible for employment for 2 years and 364 days will be required to wait 4 more years after getting a green card while a person with 3 full years can be naturalized immediately.

4 years is just a huge price to pay for 1 day difference.

If the legislation goes this way, may approved asylee choose to postpone their green card applications to meet the three year requirement?

Exactly! But the only people that are screwed by this would.be that one who already applied. I guess they an withdraw their applications of this bill becomes law.

Good point! I think they could, unless uscis wanted the applicant to provide a good reason why they delayed gc application, and dont forget that asylum might be revoked if the status of the country changed and the asylee is no longer in danger, so it is risky to delay adjustment of status as an asylee beyond one year.

I think it depends on the country. Majority of those people fled will not change anytime soon.

Again, I totally understand your point.

My point is that this change creates inequality. Meaning that a person who was eligible for employment for 2 years and 364 days will be required to wait 4 more years after getting a green card while a person with 3 full years can be naturalized immediately.

4 years is just a huge price to pay for 1 day difference.
That is also a good point. However, I don't think there is any law that is fair for everyone, unfortunately. This law, if passed, will help the majority of asylum applicants who applied for asylum on or after 2014. Since that year the vast majority of asylum applicant waited at least 4 years after filing asylum application to apply for gc. That is confirmed by data from AILA and USCIS. So the case you are talking about is not common and rarely happen.

Hi guys,
I just want to share my timeline:

May 2013 - applied for asylum
June 2017 - had my interview (waited 4 years)
June 2019 - got my asylum approved (waited 2 years)
June 2020 - applied for green card
Feb 2021.....still waiting =) (it's been 9 months already)

Hi guys,

Did you get fingerprints appointment yet?

Hi all, in follow up to our discussion on the new proposed naturalization rules in the new immigration bill here is a video explains the new rule of naturalization (watch from 8:45):
, so if a GC holder have GC for 3 years AND have been eligible for work authorization for at least 3 years before holding that GC, once that person hits the three years mark with GC then he/she can apply for citizenship.

Hi all,

I have a question.

They usually say the most time consuming step in the adjustment of status (or any other immigration process) is the background check which happens between the time they take your finger prints until your case is approved.

So, based on this, my question is that “ If the background check is completed, will my AOS case be approved immediately?!”

USCIS has used my finger prints from my travel document application for my AOS as well and my travel doc was approved and Issued last week.
So, basically it means that the info coming from finger prints for background check has been received for the AOS case, too.

Here is my time line for both:

Aug 2nd, 2020 : Receipt Notice for Travel Doc

Sep 25th, 2020: Finger Prints were applied to the case

Nov 5th, 2020: Receipt Notice for adjustment of status

Jan 15th, 2021: Finger prints from travel doc application were applied to the AOS as well

Feb 18th, 2021: Travel doc was approved and issued

Hi all,

I have a question.

They usually say the most time consuming step in the adjustment of status (or any other immigration process) is the background check which happens between the time they take your finger prints until your case is approved.

So, based on this, my question is that “ If the background check is completed, will my AOS case be approved immediately?!”

USCIS has used my finger prints from my travel document application for my AOS as well and my travel doc was approved and Issued last week.
So, basically it means that the info coming from finger prints for background check has been received for the AOS case, too.

Here is my time line for both:

Aug 2nd, 2020 : Receipt Notice for Travel Doc

Sep 25th, 2020: Finger Prints were applied to the case

Nov 5th, 2020: Receipt Notice for adjustment of status

Jan 15th, 2021: Finger prints from travel doc application were applied to the AOS as well

Feb 18th, 2021: Travel doc was approved and issued
I don't think the delay is in the background check, they know everything about you since you entered the US, and we spent more than 5 years here since we applied for asylum, and I think this is just an excuse to delay applicants and put stress on them, it was an obvious anti-immigration strategy by Trump's administration and thats why the processing time varies hugely between Texas Service Center and Nebraska Service Center. There is no way a background check on someone who lived here more than 5 years (most of them did not even leave the US) will take more than a month! Moreover, the previous administration purposely avoided supporting USCIS financially to overcome the pandemic and to hire more officers to process the huge surge of applications, which eventually slowed down the process. Don't let anyone convince you that its background check, it is simply anit-immigration policy, crystal clear!

I don't think the delay is in the background check, they know everything about you since you entered the US, and we spent more than 5 years here since we applied for asylum, and I think this is just an excuse to delay applicants and put stress on them, it was an obvious anti-immigration strategy by Trump's administration and thats why the processing time varies hugely between Texas Service Center and Nebraska Service Center. There is no way a background check on someone who lived here more than 5 years (most of them did not even leave the US) will take more than a month! Moreover, the previous administration purposely avoided supporting USCIS financially to overcome the pandemic and to hire more officers to process the huge surge of applications, which eventually slowed down the process. Don't let anyone convince you that its background check, it is simply anit-immigration policy, crystal clear!
After I had my interview for Asylum they gave me a letter with Recommended Approval, and when I called the immigration multiple times about my final decision, they told me they’re doing background check on me, so it took 2 years...just saying. They’re veeeeery slow!!!!

After I had my interview for Asylum they gave me a letter with Recommended Approval, and when I called the immigration multiple times about my final decision, they told me they’re doing background check on me, so it took 2 years...just saying. They’re veeeeery slow!!!!
Yes, thats what they will say, they will not say "sorry but we are adopting an anti-immigration policy and we are purposely slowing the process". I understand we don't have any other option but to take what they say and wait, but be sure it is NOT entirely about background check.

It seems like all of us stuck on fingerprints were taken on July 17th 2020 (Nebraska office) and nothing happened after that! and there is no updates from anyone. This is so weird what are they planning for? My work permit is expiring on April and now I have to pay I guess $400 or more to renew it.

It seems like all of us stuck on fingerprints were taken on July 17th 2020 (Nebraska office) and nothing happened after that! and there is no updates from anyone. This is so weird what are they planning for? My work permit is expiring on April and now I have to pay I guess $400 or more to renew it.
Have anyone tried to call and check on their case status ?

Mine is expiring on May, but I was hoping to file without any fee since I send my I-485 application and it’s still pending.
I already did the same with I-130 (Travel Document) application and they accepted without any fee.

Hi guys,

That is brutal. It's a lifetime of waiting and being unable to travel. I feel your pain. I hope you get your GC soon.