Processing time for green card based on asylum

Hi guys ,
I am a derivative asylee and got my green card approved but under the category they put AS1 as my category which means principal but I was never a principal I was a derivative. How can I get that fixed
in you I-485 application you are suppose to select the derivative asylee category, didn’t you select it?

Are they processing the GC's faster in 2022? I will submit my application this week as an asylee . Two more questions ; Do they put the GC issue date as the date of my asylum approval or something else?

Since I was granted asylum on Nov 2021 so can I file for my citizenship in Nov 2025 ? if not when ?

Thank you in advance :)

in you I-485 application you are suppose to select the derivative asylee category, didn’t you select it?
yes thats i also double checked again in the i-485, i did select derivative asylee . but they made a mistake i think. Should i correct that mistake or let it be like it. how can that be fixed. is it a long process because i need to travel in few months

Are they processing the GC's faster in 2022? I will submit my application this week as an asylee . Two more questions ; Do they put the GC issue date as the date of my asylum approval or something else?

Since I was granted asylum on Nov 2021 so can I file for my citizenship in Nov 2025 ? if not when ?

You still have long time ahead ! Don’t even think about it you wont apply for citizenship until 2027 at least! Gc not going fast anymore it was just a trend and stopped

After you get your green card (let's say a year of waiting after applying which is reasonable in the current environment, most likely a little less than that), they will backdate your GC by one year to account for the waiting between being granted the asylee status and applying for a GC.

So if you applied in November 2022 and received your GC in November 2023, you can apply 4 years after receiving the GC (the waiting period isn't counted). So yes, most likely it will be around 2027 when you are eligible for naturalization.

Hi everyone! Here's my timeline. I know it's almost a record breaking fast decision for the asylum case but i know how random and unpredictable things are so I am definitely not expecting anything about the GC application. I live in Chicago.

- June 2021: Submitted asylum application
- July 2021: Biometrics taken.
- September 14, 2021: Interview
- September 16, 2021: Granted asylum - super fast decision and my lawyers were surprised; i had worked so hard and for many years on this one. It was very convincing and thorough and the interview was solid. I was lucky the offier was very sympathetic, and I was lucky enough to get doznes of reference and support letters from friends, colleagues, mental health professional. Maybe this helped or maybe it was just random, but I am hoping my experience is not the only one out there, and that what I am sharing might help folks or give hope.
- November 27, 2022: Submitted GC application with all documentation, including medical tests.

My question is: do u think biometrics and and interview will be necessary?

much love to all of you, and happy to talk about anything <3 <3
Hey. It is always based on your individual circumstances. For the biometrics, they will most likely waive it and apply your previous ones. For the interview, it can go either way. If they think that your case is strong and they don't want you to prove anything else to them, they'll waive it as well and just issue you a green card. That's the case in most asylum-based applications. But again, there is a slight chance of you being called for an interview.

Hey. It is always based on your individual circumstances. For the biometrics, they will most likely waive it and apply your previous ones. For the interview, it can go either way. If they think that your case is strong and they don't want you to prove anything else to them, they'll waive it as well and just issue you a green card. That's the case in most asylum-based applications. But again, there is a slight chance of you being called for an interview.
Hey! Thank you very much for the reply! It's so easy for me to assume sometimes that the random circumstancesd that worked for me before would work for me now, but I try my best to curb my enthusiasm because it's just so random and based on each case and each office. I can't believe that it's okay that latest applications are being approved earliest, and those who applied in 2020 are still waiting. It's cruel.
I really appreciate your thorough reply.

Hey! Thank you very much for the reply! It's so easy for me to assume sometimes that the random circumstancesd that worked for me before would work for me now, but I try my best to curb my enthusiasm because it's just so random and based on each case and each office. I can't believe that it's okay that latest applications are being approved earliest, and those who applied in 2020 are still waiting. It's cruel.
I really appreciate your thorough reply.
It is wild, I agree. I applied for asylum in March 2017 and got my interview/approval in January 2021. And it took them another 10 months to approve the GC application.

It can be annoying at times, especially when you think that you could've gotten citizenship by now if not all that silly waiting. But hey, at least some of us are moving forward and we've all been able to escape from the horrors of our home countries. And there are some improvements in processing times and USCIS processes in general.

In any case, congrats on your fast track, and good luck with the rest of the process. Definitely try not to lose your enthusiasm and positivity!

Do you have a lawyer for applying I-485 application.

yes thats i also double checked again in the i-485, i did select derivative asylee . but they made a mistake i think. Should i correct that mistake or let it be like it. how can that be fixed. is it a long process because i need to travel in few months
If I were in your shoes I would first call the USCIS and ask them what to do for this issue. You can also ask asylumist.com a website owns by an immigration lawyer who answers everyone’s questions and concerns. Avvo.com is also helpful you can get free consultations from immigration lawyers.

Your green card will be back dated 1year from your green card approval date.

Based on my analysis on data , it can take anytimes from 2 months to 10 months for green card processing but I’m not sure if they treat differently between different green card basis . It was worse for 2021 and early 2022 fillers . But since uscis announcement that by 2023 they try to decrease the processing time to up to 6 months . Based on data , I think they already practicing this internally to achieve their goal . Good luck

After you get your green card (let's say a year of waiting after applying which is reasonable in the current environment, most likely a little less than that), they will backdate your GC by one year to account for the waiting between being granted the asylee status and applying for a GC.

So if you applied in November 2022 and received your GC in November 2023, you can apply 4 years after receiving the GC (the waiting period isn't counted). So yes, most likely it will be around 2027 when you are eligible for naturalization.
Thank you for the explaining the process so easily

Your green card will be back dated 1year from your green card approval date.

Based on my analysis on data , it can take anytimes from 2 months to 10 months for green card processing but I’m not sure if they treat differently between different green card basis . It was worse for 2021 and early 2022 fillers . But since uscis announcement that by 2023 they try to decrease the processing time to up to 6 months . Based on data , I think they already practicing this internally to achieve their goal . Good luck
Thank you so much :)

I applied for Green Card based on Asylum back is September 20 2021(I-485) and for Travel Document (I-131) in March 02 2022. I am still waiting form both of em to get approved. Please guys help me with processing time for both cases. I feel depressed because I really don't know how long I should wait and its giving me frustrations. Thank you guys a lot for your support!

I applied for Green Card based on Asylum back is September 20 2021(I-485) and for Travel Document (I-131) in March 02 2022. I am still waiting form both of em to get approved. Please guys help me with processing time for both cases. I feel depressed because I really don't know how long I should wait and it’s giving me frustrations. Thank you guys a lot for your support!
I hope you will receive both of them soon specially the travel document since it’s been nearly 9months . Unfortunately the 2021 and early 2022 cases move very slow . Here are 4 possible ways to get your status and decision :
1.E request to uscis
2.Congress person / senator inquiry (it may or may not lead you to decision on I-485
3.ombudsman office ( it may lead you to decision specially if you are waiting for long time )
4. written manadamous (it works 100% but it might be costly to hire a lawyer or I’m not sure if you are able to do on your own )

Please be patient and hope you receive a good news soon . Good luck

I hope you will receive both of them soon specially the travel document since it’s been nearly 9months . Unfortunately the 2021 and early 2022 cases move very slow . Here are 4 possible ways to get your status and decision :
1.E request to uscis
2.Congress person / senator inquiry (it may or may not lead you to decision on I-485
3.ombudsman office ( it may lead you to decision specially if you are waiting for long time )
4. written manadamous (it works 100% but it might be costly to hire a lawyer or I’m not sure if you are able to do on your own )

Please be patient and hope you receive a good news soon . Good luck
I appreciate your support and the fact that you took time to answer my question. So, do you think I just have to wait patiently? Thank you a lot!

I appreciate your support and the fact that you took time to answer my question. So, do you think I just have to wait patiently? Thank you a lot!
Your welcome . I believe we need to be patient but active . I would try all possible options to get an answer if none of them work then certainly the only option would to file a lawsuit(written Mandamus )to move your case forward if money is not issue for you . This would be a good idea if somone is waiting for more than a year . This is just my personal opinion not an advise.