Processing time for green card based on asylum

I sent an E-Request for the pending i-485 application, got a reply email last week.

In the USCIS email it says:

Is this good news?
Thank god , at least you received some kind of reply . Hopefully , you will get something by this timeline

I sent an E-Request for the pending i-485 application, got a reply email last week.

Is this good news?

Sounds like good news. Someonenin this forum also received the same email.

What is your service requests last three letters?

Hey guys. Anyone in the same situation I am in now???
I got my green card application approved and I just today received my green card. However, I applied for EAD renewal three weeks before the green card application approval. Now my EAD case is under processing, so, what should I do? Just leave it or request cancelation cause my green card already issued?

I got my green card application approved and I just today received my green card. However, I applied for EAD renewal three weeks before the green card application approval. Now my EAD case is under processing, so, what should I do? Just leave it or request cancelation cause my green card already issued?
Congrats.
You don’t need to do anything. Most probably your ead application will be updated to “cancelled because of other benefits”

I think you do nothing, I am guessing they will deny your EAD since you no longer need that.

Hello Everyone! Could you give me some information from you past experiences please? I got approved for asylum on 26 May 2022. I already got my approval letter and I94 departure record, but my online case status is always showing ' decision is pending and ' travel history still available. I didn't know I was approved Until my lawyer called me and told me I got approved , because It was always showing pending decision still now showing the same thing . Did anyone encountered similar issues? How long will take to get EAD with A 5 category after approval? And my last question is I went social security administration to make my social security unrestricted and they said my I94 departure record is not updated they told me they have to verify from homeland security what does it mean?

Much appreciated inadvance for any answer!!

MSC2191******
Application received 09/28/2021
The fingerprints applied 10/04/2021
Ordered new card 06/23/2022
Case was approved 06/24/2022
Congratulations!!!
I applied my green card and RTD on 08/27//2021 still waiting for both

Reactions: HM1
Hi everyone
Good morning.I hope you are doing well.
I arrived back in the US last night.
In Malaysia, I was not allowed to board on the plane; their reason was that they did not accept my Travel Document passport as an American passport. However, I boarded at the last moment.
In Turkey, I almost had the same issue but slightly different as they told me I should own a green card and my travel document is invalid, then they sent pictures from my travel documents and sent it to other officers. After 20 minutes, they said everything is ok.
When I arrived in the United States, the officer told me I should go to the office, where I waited for an hour and a half, they asked me some questions and registered them in the system.
It was a very stressful trip. one thing that caught my eye was that in Turkey and the United States, immigration officers asked the people who had green cards to attach their country's passports to it as well.
Do I have to renew my passport when I receive the green card?

Hi everyone
Good morning.I hope you are doing well.
I arrived back in the US last night.
In Malaysia, I was not allowed to board on the plane; their reason was that they did not accept my Travel Document passport as an American passport. However, I boarded at the last moment.
In Turkey, I almost had the same issue but slightly different as they told me I should own a green card and my travel document is invalid, then they sent pictures from my travel documents and sent it to other officers. After 20 minutes, they said everything is ok.
When I arrived in the United States, the officer told me I should go to the office, where I waited for an hour and a half, they asked me some questions and registered them in the system.
It was a very stressful trip. one thing that caught my eye was that in Turkey and the United States, immigration officers asked the people who had green cards to attach their country's passports to it as well.
Do I have to renew my passport when I receive the green card?
Not at all you better not renew your passport of your home country or it may raise questions on the citizenship stage! I think best thing for us the RTD users to go eary before boarding back to the US cause they might say no you ain’t allowed to to get back with only RTD then you will start arguing with them and it will take time until they print your boarding pass so the most important thing is anyone traveling with RTD back to THe US must go early for the boarding process as it might take 1-2 hours to understand that you’re allowed to enter the US

Not at all you better not renew your passport of your home country or it may raise questions on the citizenship stage! I think best thing for us the RTD users to go eary before boarding back to the US cause they might say no you ain’t allowed to to get back with only RTD then you will start arguing with them and it will take time until they print your boarding pass so the most important thing is anyone traveling with RTD back to THe US must go early for the boarding process as it might take 1-2 hours to understand that you’re allowed to enter the US
Yes , I was at airport 5 hours earlier, but the problem is we should wait until they open the gate for the flight

If we did not renew passport we can not travel only with green card they need a passport as well for stamps

Does anyone have experience with this

Last edited:
Yes , I was at airport 5 hours earlier, but the problem is we should wait until they open the gate for the flight

If we did not renew passport we can not travel only with green card they need a passport as well for stamps

Does anyone have experience with this
RTD is gonna be instead of your passport until you get neutralized as a US citizen then issue US passport but using your country passport with the Greencard will make you big issues when you apply for the citizenship

Is this good news?
I hope this is a good news for you. Most of us receive a generic response "your application is still within processing time". But you have the timeframe (90 days) provided. Can you share your timeline please?

I contacted USCIS two times by E-request, called them 2 times, ask Congressman to ask one time. And all the time USCIS said they don't have the timeframe for my application.

RTD is gonna be instead of your passport until you get neutralized as a US citizen then issue US passport but using your country passport with the Greencard will make you big issues when you apply for the citizenship
Can you please explain better, if you are to travel outside of the US with a green card, what form of ID do you need? If your home country passport is expired, are you saying that it is not advisable to renew?

Like if I want to go to the UK, won’t I need a visa? The green card I received did not come with a RTD…

Can you please explain better, if you are to travel outside of the US with a green card, what form of ID do you need? If your home country passport is expired, are you saying that it is not advisable to renew?

Like if I want to go to the UK, won’t I need a visa? The green card I received did not come with a RTD…
You’re correct. You need to apply for RTD separately every year when it expires (or before it expires but you need to enclose the unexpired one with your application). And then apply for a visa at the embassy of the country you’d like to visit. The RTD will act as a passport as close as possible.

When you use a passport from any given country, it means that you take the protection of that country. And if you use the passport from the country you have escaped from, that technically means that you are under protection of your home country if something leads to certain circumstances. And in USCIS eyes, that means that you don’t fear your home country anymore.

It’s not always 100% of course, and some people get away with that. But as a rule of thumb, you shouldn’t use your nationality passport and only use RTD…

Although, to note, some countries allow you to enter them based on your nationality. So for example, let’s say you’re from Russia, Mexico allows visa free entry for Russians. So you can use RTD without applying for visa because of that. But you must check that for every country because visa requirements are not the same across the board.

Last edited:
You’re correct. You need to apply for RTD separately every year when it expires (or before it expires but you need to enclose the unexpired one with your application). And then apply for a visa at the embassy of the country you’d like to visit. The RTD will act as a passport as close as possible.

When you use a passport from any given country, it means that you take the protection of that country. And if you use the passport from the country you have escaped from, that technically means that you are under protection of your home country if something leads to certain circumstances. And in USCIS eyes, that means that you don’t fear your home country anymore.

It’s not always 100% of course, and some people get away with that. But as a rule of thumb, you shouldn’t use your nationality passport and only use RTD…

Although, to note, some countries allow you to enter their countries based on your nationality. So for example, let’s say you’re from Russia, Mexico allows visa free entry for Russians. So you can use RTD without applying for visa because of that. But you must check that for every country because visa requirements are not the same across the board.
100% correct! You did such a good job.
Anyone uses their origin country passport is under big risk especially when you apply for US citizenship but again some other folks get away with it but that’s way too dangerous! RTD is a big headache especially it takes way too long now but you better be safe than sorry and take no risks especially we all know the next president will be Republican 100% and the immigration is one of the things that will get so tough once 2024 comes!

Thank you very much for the explanation. I really appreciate it. Had no clue. Here I was thinking if I wanted to go to Europe, I would have to renew my passport and then apply for a visa. Will definitely look at the RTD application process again or I stay put till citizenship in 4 years