Portland Oregon transfer - any info pls

sorry for being late

yes got approved and stamped. but interview wasn't very smooth as I anticipated.

interview was at 9.30. reached at 8.00. outside parking takes only 90 minutes so at 9 I went out to put some more money on the parking meter. whe I came back saw my wife waiting outside told me the officer called us when I was out(just for 3 minutes).

finally went inside interviewer asked my employemnt letter and looked at the one page letter for at least five minutes. Then he started going throgh my file for 10 more minutes. no smiling , no questions asked.

then he asked me when I left my earlier company. i told him. he looked at the paer work for some more time and left for something. came back after 5-10 minutes.

asked whether I have any paystub. I had all the paystub from day one to latest. he went over each of them and selected two of them. One the last one and another which shows payment on holiday and sick day(I guess to establish that I am permanent employee)

then again he left the room for 2 more minutes ( I guess to take photocopy)

after coming back he asked me whether I have any info about my company. luckily at the last minute I downloaded some pagesc of my company website which say thing about locaton , number of employees and revenue for last 10 years.

after looking at those (specially printed in color :)) he asked me whether he can keep them. at this point he looked a bit relaxed.

he went out brought some form( I guess the I-551 form) and made us sign and fingerprint on them.

asked my son's age and made light comments (what a relief) about why he doesn't have to the finger print.

again went out got all stamps and printed an approval letter and stamped passport.

the stamp and the wording looked pretty unimpressive and for a second I thought what we did for this moment in the last few years.

Didn't intend to write a long message like this but just for the record it might help someone like me in future.

FINALLY BY GOD's GRACE IT IS OVER. Thanks Adjustee for you good thought and helping me keeping the tempo up.

485 Case transferred to Portland Oregon

Dear friends ,
Can you share your experiances if any and what would be the necessary documents needed to be collected for the interview.

No change in job , same job , but got married after filling I-140 , I-485 , did FP and went home got married and added Spouse for I-485 .

is the above a reason for this interview.

lina_hc

Yep most probably you got transfered to local becuase of marriage after the filing.

I too have an interview at portland but am single.

They asked me to bring EVL and other document. But I am gonna take everything. But for marriage cases you need to bring extra stuff (bank statements, marriage photos, etc - search the forum for specific documents and anyways your interview letter should list all of them)

Let me know when is your interview and howit goes. I will post mine after I finish off my interview.

--thx

stinger said:
lina_hc

Yep most probably you got transfered to local becuase of marriage after the filing.

I too have an interview at portland but am single.

They asked me to bring EVL and other document. But I am gonna take everything. But for marriage cases you need to bring extra stuff (bank statements, marriage photos, etc - search the forum for specific documents and anyways your interview letter should list all of them)

Let me know when is your interview and howit goes. I will post mine after I finish off my interview.

--thx
thanks Stinger ,
i havent yet received any interview letter , and more over there was a spelling mistake in my place of birth i had sent all the affidivits , need to see what they are asking i shall take every thing . shall let u know exactly what they ask me in interview.

lina_hc said:
thanks Stinger ,
i havent yet received any interview letter , and more over there was a spelling mistake in my place of birth i had sent all the affidivits , need to see what they are asking i shall take every thing . shall let u know exactly what they ask me in interview.
Hello Lina, Just wanted to ask if you received your interview notice yet. My case transferred to local office last week on June 14th. Wondering how many months it takes for interview nowadays. The processing date shows Feb 21 05. Appreciate your and anybody else's reply. Best of luck to you.

portland transfer

gc_aug_05: yes i had received the interview notice .
My papers were transfered on March 18 2005 ; and i got a interview notice on may 20 2005.and the interview is on july 12th 2005 .

gc_aug_05 said:
Hello Lina, Just wanted to ask if you received your interview notice yet. My case transferred to local office last week on June 14th. Wondering how many months it takes for interview nowadays. The processing date shows Feb 21 05. Appreciate your and anybody else's reply. Best of luck to you.

lina_hc said:
gc_aug_05: yes i had received the interview notice .
My papers were transfered on March 18 2005 ; and i got a interview notice on may 20 2005.and the interview is on july 12th 2005 .
Thanks for the reply. Seems reasonable timing. Best of luck again.

joining the same band-wagon

Folks,

On June 28th 2005, they transferred (my + my wife's) cases to Portland OR district office.

Here is a brief look at our saga:

1) My Labor & I-140 cleared in early 2002.
2) My I-485 was filed with RD of 08/07/2002.
3) I got married on 9/02/2003.
4) My wife's visa was changed from F-1 to L-2 and we filed her I-485 on 12/10/2003.
5) On 06/28/2005, they transferred both of our cases to Portland OR local office.

Still waiting......based on your experiences, I am guessing they will call us for interview in 3 months.

Maybe not that long. I got my interview letter a couple of days ago. The interview date is Aug 02 05. But anyways, not expecting to be approved officially till atleast Oct 1st.

ssubra_99 said:
Folks,

Still waiting......based on your experiences, I am guessing they will call us for interview in 3 months.

Interview experiance at portland INS

Today we went to the interview at the local office, the INS officer asked our Joint bank account, and saw the marriage pictures, driver's license all together we were with him for 10 minutes. And said us to sign papers and then took our finger prints that’s it and said it is done he asked me did i have new pictures , i gave him two he removed the old pictures as they were not the correct type as per the new law. The officer said unfortunately we don't have visa numbers now need to wait till October. The lawyer was with us and was talking to the officer and said us to show the pictures.
Over all the interview went smooth.

Got interview letter

My wife and I got interview letters for 8/31/2005. Hopefully, things will go on fine.

gc_aug_05, can you post your interview experience after it is done on 8/2/2005?

thanks

Today's Interview in Portland
Well, we went to the Local INS Office at 9:45 am (one hour before schedule). There are several parking spots available, closer to the INS building, most have 90 minutes meter, a couple of streets down, there are 150 minutes meter parking spots. All people entering the building have to go through security check. AS mentioned in the Interview letter, we put the letter in the basket outside Room 106 and waited for our turn. I guess, there was one more couple, who were called before us, by the same interviewer and came out in about 20 mins or so. There were around 12-15 people. We were called in around 11 am and we were out in about 10-12 mins. The Officer first asked us to take an oath to tell the truth. He asked which company do you work? What kind of work do you do? DO you have the employer's letter?
Mine was Ac-21 case, for which we had filed paper work previously. He just compared something on the employer letter (job description/title), I guess with approved LC certificate. Most of the time, he was looking at the documents in my file.
Then he said, that unfortunately, all employment visas have used up for this fiscal year. I was surprised to hear "ALL". I just asked, that we are EB3 and we know the visa numbers are not available. He said, that's what he meant. He took our signatures, right Index figureprint. I had seen Lina's post and got new passport style photographs. I asked if he needs it, he said Yes and took them from me.
He said, the case should progress in October, since the visa numbers will be available on Oct 1st. He mentioned, INS will call if anything is needed. When I asked, do I need to do any follow-up or will I need to come back in October. He said not necessarily, and He mentioned I might get my Green Card in mail and INS will let us know if anything is needed.
Over all, interview was smooth and I never knew when it over.

I had taken huge files of documents, W2s, Tax returns, originals and copies etc. etc, but I guess only EVL was needed. The funny part is, this same letter was submitted two times, once when we invoked the AC21 and second in response to my RFE, Still, my case was transferred. Don't know why. Anyway, the wait in Local office here will hopefully be not much and per other’s experience, there is good chance that we will receive physical card faster.
ssubra, Best of luck to you. Let us know how your interview went . I guess, most of us be around till October or so, to see our progress on our cases.
ssubra_99 said:
My wife and I got interview letters for 8/31/2005. Hopefully, things will go on fine.

gc_aug_05, can you post your interview experience after it is done on 8/2/2005?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Interview at Portland USCIS

My wife and I attended the I-485 interview today at Portland USCIS office. We were in the waiting room (Room 106) at 12:30 PM and our interview was at 1:00 PM.

An officer came to the room at 1:05 PM and called my name. He took us to a room and took an oath that we will "say truth, and nothing but the truth".

Then he asked which company I worked for. I replied with an emphasis that I am working for the same company for more than 7 years. The officer asked for employment letter and I gave it to him.

Then, he looked at his computer and said, "They want proof of relationship". Immediately, I gave him the original and photocopy of marriage certificate, joint bank account and our Hillsboro house papers. My wife mentioned that we have marriage photos and other stuff and he cut her, "I am not really worried...this is fine". He went out and came back after 5 minutes. Then he asked for my wife's passport. We handed it to him. He said, "They are worried that she was not inspected by an officer at the port of entry last time she entered US". He flipped the pages to the page where the immigration stamp showed her last entry (Feb, 2004) and took photocopy of that page.

Then he made us sign on some form and took fingerprint of the first finger.

Finally, he explained that visa numbers are not available before October 1st, which is why they cannot give green card at this time.

All in all, it went pretty smoothly. Now, we need to wait more..........hopefully, in a month (on Oct 1st), it will actually get approved.

AP & EAD

Also, for the extension of AP and EAD, do you know if we have to file it with NSC or with Portland USCIS?

More wait..

My Pd is in Nov 2000. Never thought I need to worry about these Priority Dates Business, but I guess GC processing will go south and will remain like this for some time. I think, the current dates are too conservative and situation will improve in couple of months.
I too have started looking around to apply EAD for my wife. EAD form has some information, but it is highly confusing. For family based cases, transferred to local office, I guess they can apply in Chicago NBC, but there is no mention of employment based transferred cases. I guess, we need to follow up with Portland office and check the procedures. There is one case on EAD forum (local transfer) that came back as "out of jurisdiction" from Chicago office.
http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=187189&highlight=jurisdiction

Lets Keep in touch and exchange any information

Got EAD on the spot for my wife

I setup an Infopass appointment, took all the requisite documents along with EAD application AND THE 175 $ CHECK . As I was thinking in the morning, my wife got EAD on the spot. We were out in 10-15 minutes. He did'nt take the photos we are brought. He took one right over there and produced the card. I like Portland Office, Wish I was transferred here long time ago.. Oh well.. lets wait and see

Last edited by a moderator: