Pork, Ghee...its Time To Roll....

Oh my what a vaccuum!

It is surprising to see no postings after Paul's compilation of the meeting minutes!

Paul you missed one point that was raised during the conversation. That was of the FOIA (Freedom Of Information Act) request.

Mr. Rajiv said that BCIS is obligated to respond to a FOIA request within 30 days. And it was discussed that we could send a question as to

"How many adjudicators are currently appointed to process I-485 at NSC (and may be individual centers).?"

[I suggest that we make it specific - as to the NSC (and or individual centers), otherwise, the information coming out of BCIS will again be murky and lead us nowhere.]

Mr. Rajiv said that his office would initiate such a request.

I guess this would give us some insight as to what is happening in the NSC (and, may be, at other BCIS processing centers). As according to Mr. Rajiv, the I-485 processing is fairly routine and can be outsourced (Ref. PaulClark’s Meeting Minutes).

Please do post the link to the new thread on this one – to make it easy for all of us to post there. [We have less than a month to be over with it and forward it].

StillWaiting…

What Happened....

...?!?!?!

No links to this site. I thought, it was discussed that we would provide some link on this site, where the new thread / site would be started.

Paul could you please provide some details here. May be because of the long week-end, there was no activity.

I hope a link would come sime time soon on this thread for the new site.

Also, Paul, could we incldue the FOIA point that I am specifying?

Thanks.

StillWaiting...

Sorry

I did not make any progress last week. I thought I was waiting from someone at Mr. Khanna's office to get in touch with me. I sent him an email this morning and he is out of the office until the 10th.

In the meantime, we can make some progress anyway. I will add the FOI request to the minutes.

I was thinking that initially we should ask some very basic statistical questions.

1/. How many I-485 applications are pending.
2/. On average how many new applications are received each day.
3/. On average how many applications are approved each day.

This information would give us some directional information about what is happening with processing times in the long term.

Please add suggestions for other simple questions. I think we should get our heads wet with the process before making any complex requests.

Also FOI requests cost $$$ We will need to create some way of funding this activity.

FOIA requests cost $$$...

...?

I did not appear that it would cost a tonn of money. Agreeable, there would be cost associated with the mailing of request etc.

However, during our last forum talk, Mr. Rajive stated that he (his office) would initiate this FOIA request (as to how many adjudicators are working on AOS or I-485 cases).

Please elaborate as to whether we need to initiate such a request (we would sound relatively naïve issuing such a request – in terms of what language to use etc.) and what cost are we looking at (and ways and means to pool it).

Thanks Paul.

StillWaiting…

Not A Ton of $$$

No it is not a ton of money it seems to be $25 per shot (min). Rajiv did say this needed to be our project. However I am not sure why he would want to fund this out of his pocket (or mine). So I am just raising it as an issue.

Paul..

... let's figure the amount out (when you talk to Rajiv's office) and then we may ask around whoever is willing to shell out.

If it is an amount like you suggested ($25 or so), then I would not hesitate to contribute along with others (presuing that there would be others and the per person share would come to a relatively small amount).

Rajiv did indicate that he would raise this (how many adjudicators...) as a FOIA question. It was not clear, however, whether it would cost money and who would pay for it. [If it comes to paying, may be he / his office could raise the query and we may shell out the money.]

But it would be a vital information. We must work it out and raise it. At least the public will have some direct exposure and knowledge of the BCIS workings.

Thanks.
StillWaiting...

Re: Sorry

Paul,

Regarding the questions you had mentioned, the BCIS site http://www.immigration.gov/graphics/shared/aboutus/statistics/msrmay03/BENEFIT.HTM

gives details about how many 485 cases are pending and how many they received each month.

I don't mean to discourage these questions. In my opinion we have to ask something else. (But I can't think of anything now :confused: )

Reg $$$, you can count on me. I am willing to contribute.
Let me know if I can be of any useful to you in this great cause

-Gama
ND 5/22/03
AD Soon :D

Originally posted by paulclarke1
I did not make any progress last week. I thought I was waiting from someone at Mr. Khanna's office to get in touch with me. I sent him an email this morning and he is out of the office until the 10th.

In the meantime, we can make some progress anyway. I will add the FOI request to the minutes.

I was thinking that initially we should ask some very basic statistical questions.

1/. How many I-485 applications are pending.
2/. On average how many new applications are received each day.
3/. On average how many applications are approved each day.

This information would give us some directional information about what is happening with processing times in the long term.

Please add suggestions for other simple questions. I think we should get our heads wet with the process before making any complex requests.

Also FOI requests cost $$$ We will need to create some way of funding this activity.

Gama...

... I like your optimism (AD - Soon :D ). I guess I want to learn that from u.

At least I will keep my health, while not having the GC (sonner).

And yes u r correct. We could get the statistics easily from such sites. We should be asking more subtle questions, information for which is not easily available (and which may also indicate a general direction and efficiency of BCIS).

StillWaiting...

Stillwaiting / Paul,

There is considerable decrease in the number of cases processed each month (which everybody knows). Can we ask for an explanation for this, like number of IIOs per center or # of IIOs for 485 alone etc.

As per BCIS reports, the total 485 cases pending on Jan 02 was 922,955 and on Jul 02 was 840,929 which was a good sign.

But now, the total cases pending is 1,158,830 (as of May).

I am just wondering whether we can get an explanation for this by providing these statistics.

-Gama
ND 5/22/03
AD Soon :D

They Will Not Create Records

FOI gives you access to records.

ALL REQUESTS MUST BE SUBMITTED IN WRITING. FORM G-639 may be used for this purpose. Requests must be for access to existing records. The FOIA /PA Program Office will not “create” records for the purpose of a FOIA or PA request

My guess is if they keep statistics, then we should be able to get them, they are unlikely to have documentation explaining the 'whys'.

PaulClarke,

Whatever happened to opening a separate thread / site? Any progress in that direction. No postings on this thread about the new site / thread!

Have you heard anything or been in contact with Rajiv Khanna's office?

Weren't we supposed to be ready with our document / effort by the end of this month (which is next week)!

Please post.

Thanks.
StillWaiting...

I guess some of us...

are non-existent here - like me.

No one seems to notice (may be because of such long breaks in between - but can't help - too much of work pressure and worries about I-485)!

any way - just to revive this back - anything happening after the talk with Mr. Rajiv last month on this one.

I thought we were to post a link to a new thread / site on this thread. I did not see any. Could anyone please update those of us, who do not have continuity.

Thanks.
StillWaiting...