POE risk for green card holders

didig1

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I'd like to know if anyone has info on what are the riskiest and safest POE for green card holders. For instance I read a couple of bad stories on the web of people losing the green card at Detroit, any statistics, or more info.?

The riskiest will be the airports where the CBP has a lot of time to question everybody.

The "safest" will be airports like JFK during rush hours when they have only 30-60 seconds per person for questions and fingerprints. I guess there is much smaller likelihood being questioned, but if your case is a red flag you will be sent to secondary anyways.

However, like other have said already, if you actually reside in the U.S. you don't have to be worried at any POE.

My GC was approved a few days before I went to Niagara Falls, Canadian side, early June. Since I didn't have time to wait for physical GC to arrive, I went to the immigration office in San Francisco and got a GC stamp in my RTD. http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/images/bsf5023/25i551.gif
Entering Canada with RTD was no issue, though technically a visa is needed without GC. The officer didn't even look at the GC stamp.
Entering US was another story. Entered through Buffalo NY. The officer at the booth had no clue. He saw my unexpired RTD with February entry asylum stamp, then the GC stamp from a few days prior, then after two phone calls sends me to secondary. Waited there for quite a while until I couldn't wait anymore since I had a flight to catch. I approached the counter, the guy saw my papers, stamped me and sent me on my way. Not sure if Buffalo qualifies as a difficult POE but this is my experience. I would however say that not every officer is knowledgeable. It's a job, regardless, and some people do it better than some others.

Which POE is best for GC?

Hello,

I'd like to know if anyone has info on what are the riskiest and safest POE for green card holders. For instance I read a couple of bad stories on the web of people losing the green card at Detroit, any statistics, or more info.?

didig,

Personal experience. Never enter thru Atlanta. Its one of the worse POE's for customs and immigration. Not to mention the misinformed agents.Last time, I entered thru ATL and the officer started with big bag of questions like where do I work. where do I live and where does my wife work. It was not needed and a total waste of time.He even sent me for additional clearance becoz I had an arrest in past.In turn I missed my connecting flight and had to wait overnight in the airport. Customs is another story, they are thoroughly disorganized and it will take u double the time to get thru with ur luggage.

On the other hand.JFK is the best. The officer just smiled and stamped our passport and sent us out.Customs too was a breeze. Don't anticipate trouble but be prepared for it in airports like Atlanta.See to it that you get reviews from people here and friends as to which POE is good. Good Luck.