Please help, F1 students applying for Asylum!

thewhat

I came to US around five months ago in F1 status. I submitted the asylum application already and waiting for the interview date. But I am in a big dilemma.

The last day to register the class is 16th of this month. My lawyer is saying my interview date will be some date around 25-30th of this month.(based on others date)

So Should I go ahead and register the class and pay the fees and attend class to remain in F1 status?
OR
Just drop out of status and proceed with Asylum. {This is what my lawyer is suggesting.}

Please advice me, I cannot go back to my country as my arms and back was broken by politicians there.

Go ahead and register, talk to the international office at your school and let them know that your funds are delayed and you would like a payment deferral of some sort, they will accommodate you, trust me. And after you get done with your asylum proceedings just apply for FAFSA, your school will wait on the federal aid to come in for you. They wont just throw you out.

Follow your lawyer suggestions. You won't be able to see a judge if your I-589 gets rejected and you are still in status.

Go ahead and register, talk to the international office at your school and let them know that your funds are delayed and you would like a payment deferral of some sort, they will accommodate you, trust me. And after you get done with your asylum proceedings just apply for FAFSA, your school will wait on the federal aid to come in for you. They wont just throw you out.

Thank You kelly but looks like my interview date will be delayed. As far as I know school will not hold me for a month. I talked with my advisor and she said they can do nothing about it and its my duty to register before deadline. I am in big dilemma. I dont want to lose my status anyhow and deport back. I will be killed, for sure... Hell life!!

Follow your lawyer suggestions. You won't be able to see a judge if your I-589 gets rejected and you are still in status.
Thanks for the reply!
But what if I am denied from the court by judge as well. Will I be deported or Do I have more chance?

Thanks for the reply!
But what if I am denied from the court by judge as well. Will I be deported or Do I have more chance?

People who have strong case have confidence that they will win at the asylum office or at the court.

Last edited by a moderator:
People who have strong case have confidence that they will win at the asylum office or at the court.

Of course I have confidence!
But the thing is I have heard many genuine case been denied (on a youtube video). What I am saying is I dont want to take risk? So Just keeping some backup.

If ever I am denied and I am in F1 status, I can stay till my F1 visa and by the time maybe my country's situation will be good and I can go back.
If I am approved, I would just transfer to some university and go back to my country whenever the political situation stabilizes.

I am still in dilemma whether listen to lawyer(go out of status) or mine(register and appear in interview).

Of course I have confidence!
But the thing is I have heard many genuine case been denied (on a youtube video). What I am saying is I dont want to take risk? So Just keeping some backup.

If ever I am denied and I am in F1 status, I can stay till my F1 visa and by the time maybe my country's situation will be good and I can go back.
If I am approved, I would just transfer to some university and go back to my country whenever the political situation stabilizes.

I am still in dilemma whether listen to lawyer(go out of status) or mine(register and appear in interview).

if you worry too much, then register before the interview. Keep in mind that if you go to court, the process might take years especially if your case goes to BIA or circuit court. You won't be deported during this process and you may finish school before the process is complete. Also, you will be authorized to work as well. The decision is yours

if you worry too much, then register before the interview. Keep in mind that if you go to court, the process might take years especially if your case goes to BIA or circuit court. You won't be deported during this process and you may finish school before the process is complete. Also, you will be authorized to work as well. The decision is yours

Thank You assylum, I thought of going out of status and proceeding the case. I really appreciate your advice!

I came to US around five months ago in F1 status. I submitted the asylum application already and waiting for the interview date. But I am in a big dilemma.

The last day to register the class is 16th of this month. My lawyer is saying my interview date will be some date around 25-30th of this month.(based on others date)

So Should I go ahead and register the class and pay the fees and attend class to remain in F1 status?
OR
Just drop out of status and proceed with Asylum. {This is what my lawyer is suggesting.}

Please advice me, I cannot go back to my country as my arms and back was broken by politicians there.

Whatever you do, do NOT fall out of status. Falling out of status is considered very serious and I' not sure why your lawyer is telling you this. The only think I can think of is that if you fall out of status and your case is denied. It goes to an immigration judged. Then the lawyer has the opportunity to charge you MORE money and has to represent you in COURT. If you remain in status, and if the Asylum Officer is going to deny you, they will send a Notice of Intent to Deny and will allow for a rebuttal. If your lawyer is halfway decent, he or she will have no problem issuing a rebuttal. If you prove what really happened to you, the burden of proof is on USCIS to disprove that you were actually hurt because of political affiliations. You have strong evidence from what you say that you will probably get Asylum after your initial interview. Stay in status, please!! Even if they deny you after you submit your rebuttal, you can still stay in the US till the end of your F1 expiration instead of going through court dates, and worrying about being deported.

The best advice i can give you is to stay on your current status ,even if the asylum is denied ,its not the end ,i beleive if you have your degree you can apply for sponsorship on a green card or play the dv lottery but it would be very bad if your case is not accepted at the IJ ,then you will just have to be deported or live voluntarily and for that it will take you almost 3 to 10 yrs before entering the USA again.So be careful

The best advice i can give you is to stay on your current status ,even if the asylum is denied ,its not the end ,i beleive if you have your degree you can apply for sponsorship on a green card or play the dv lottery but it would be very bad if your case is not accepted at the IJ ,then you will just have to be deported or live voluntarily and for that it will take you almost 3 to 10 yrs before entering the USA again.So be careful

:D I think your suggestion came a little later than it should've.. joke... I hope he/she already got asylum approval.