Please Help....DUI + 8 Speeding Tickets in past 11 year

ChicagoMan

Registered Users (C)
Gurus,
I need your help in my case.
I have 8 speeding tickets in span from 1999 to 2010. and DUI in 2003. I paid fine for all the speeding tickets and for DUI also. I got court disposition in 2004 for DUI.

I got my Green Card in 2005 and showed this court disposition to Officer and was given GC the same day.
I want to file for Naturalization now. I went to Secretary of State office and got my driving records. It shows DUI 2003, Suspension at that time upto 2004 , a 2005 Out of state ticket and one 2010 ticket.

Based on that could you guys please answer these questions,
1. I don't have records of all the tickets. But if something is not paid it should reflect on driving record. It does not show that. Will this proof is sufficient?
2. Do I have to metion all these in N-400 or just mention whatever is in Driving record and during interview mention other tickets to officer as I don't have records and show this driving record during interview.
3. If required , how I can get all these details.
4. Any other suggestions

Found this on USCIS.gov website

Guys,

I found this in USCIS.gov website.
After reading this I don't think I should be worried. These are clear instructions form USCIS regarding traffic tickets.

Go to USCIS . gov website
Expand "Electronic Reading Room" on Left
Click on "Customer Service Resource Guide"
Click "Benefits for Permanent Residents"*
Go to Page 60

I got this from thread showthread.php?81187-Traffic-tickets-and-naturalization-(threads-merged)/page87

Thanks a lot to khelifarami2. You made my day.
:)

Just updating.

4/13 - Mailed Express ; 4/21 - Email confirmation
5/15 - Fringerprint notice ; 6/09 - Fingerprints Date
7/26 - Interview Date ; 7/28 - Oath Date & PP applied.

Instead of updating your signature in multiple threads, could you provide some details about the interview and how the IO handled your tickets?

Nobody was interested in this thread and in my second reply I metioned the link to deal with tickets. Apperantly That is what I did. I updated signature for providing timeline info. Updated signtaures in all realted threads so members following particular threads can get timelines.

Hi ChicagoMan,

Congratulations on your successful approval. On the issue of signatures, if you use a signature as set in your board configuration profile at http://forums.immigration.com/profile.php?do=editsignature then when you update your signature, all the threads that had your comment with your signature would be automatically updated when you update your profile signature. Pretty neat :)

So, how did the interview go? Did they give you any trouble about the speeding tickets and DUI?

Thanks for sharing and updating your threads.

Guys,

I found this in USCIS.gov website.
After reading this I don't think I should be worried. These are clear instructions form USCIS regarding traffic tickets.

Go to USCIS . gov website
Expand "Electronic Reading Room" on Left
Click on "Customer Service Resource Guide"
Click "Benefits for Permanent Residents"*
Go to Page 60

I got this from thread showthread.php?81187-Traffic-tickets-and-naturalization-(threads-merged)/page87

Thanks a lot to khelifarami2. You made my day.
:)

ChicagoMan, first of all congratulations ! I hope you don't waste time here, go out and do some partying , come back later and tell us how the interview went.

To all others: having traffic violations does not preclude finding of good moral character. Even DUI (single violation) is not enough to definitively bar naturalization.
The adjudicating officer is given discretionary power and instructed to focus primarily in statutory period (within 5 year period before the date of application), then look throughout the entire life of petitioner to see if there are specifically barring naturalization violations and convictions.
If the officer is in good mood he may even approve without asking too much beyond court disposition records and verifying accuracy via IBIS.
As long as applicant doesn't lie and doesn't give false testimony under oath, some past violations can be forgiven if the totality of the record shows that the individual had rehabilitated and lived within the standards of his community in past 5 years.

I would caution though against giving too much weight to some undated link on uscis.gov webpage that has instructions to fill out an outdated N-400 form.

Even the online Adjudicators Field Manual has not been updated (it claims to have been updated in 2011, however, closer look will show that at least in chapter 74 they are discussing the N-400 of the 1991 version, and it is 2011 out there. Hello!)

READ CAREFULLY all disclaimers and webpage policies, you will see that USCIS explicitly disclaims any liability, warranty or claim for the accuracy of the information provided throughout its' website and nothing contained in those outdated instructions give you any right or enforceability in court of law.

For example, the page introducing the Adjudicators Field Manual ( a lot more reliable than the linked , undated instruction on page 60 that people often post) EXPLICITLY states the following:

Important Notice: Nothing in the AFM shall be construed to create any substantive or procedural right or benefit that is legally enforceable by any party against the United States or its agencies or officers or any other person. Also, see the USCIS general web site policies on the USCIS web home page for additional disclaimers.

See here: http://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/AFM/HTML/AFM/0-0-0-1.html

The uscis.gov webpage, separately and additionally, has two pages of disclaimers:
1. Website policies: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=fe5489eef3d4b010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD
2. Privacy and legal disclaimers: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=da3489eef3d4b010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

It is possible (and very likely) that the development of the uscis.gov is contracted out to some third party private company who may not be expert in law and may not even think it necessary to follow each change and edition of regulation; they may not think it worthy of their effort to timely update revisions.
What you see on linked USCIS guidelines is not necessarily a current law, C.F.R. or case-precedence references.
Many of you who called 800 customer service know how perilous it could be to take the over the phone "suggestions" seriously.
It could well be that websites are maintained by the site developers who are not much different from 800 customer service employees , as far as knowledge of law is concerned.
That page 60 of some undated naturalization guideline could easily be some totally outdated and never proof-read text, uploaded there by an intern or someone in Bangladesh or India who never in his entire life had any idea what the INA is.

Your best bet is to fill out N-400 to the best of your knowledge and ability and, if there are any questions that are too vague or difficult for you to decipher, don't gamble your future life, find a professional practicing attorney in good standing and get a half an hour consultation.

If you can't afford to pay here is the one who will discuss your case with you for free:
http://www.thesolomonlawfirm.com/CM...-articles/USCIS-adjudicators-field-manual.asp

Good luck to all and once again : congratulations , ChicagoMan !

Last edited by a moderator:
@KASPAR:

Stop it with the nonsense already. Based on the OP's experience, the document obviously provides correct instructions. Of course, nothing that's posted on USCIS.gov can possibly be correct, right? You're just grasping at straws.

@KASPAR:

Stop it with the nonsense already. Based on the OP's experience, the document obviously provides correct instructions. Of course, nothing that's posted on USCIS.gov can possibly be correct, right? You're just grasping at straws.

It is not nonsense to state things as they are. Opposite , perhaps, is true.

OP wrote that he got naturalized despite DUI conviction more than 5 years ago and 8 speeding tickets throughout 11 years. Read my entire reply to ChicagoMan and tell me what part of it is a nonsense.

The document you refer to is NOT an official document, it doesn't site any statute or CFR, it is [like all other posted and linked on USCIS.GOV website texts that do not bear the statutory authority or reference] explicitly disclaimed as binding by USCIS itself (I posted links to website and privacy policy of USCIS) and, consequently, can not be relied upon as a source of legal advise or a guideline. It may be accurate in some cases and inaccurate in others.

Making derogatory comments and resorting to ad hominem arguments underlines your lack of security and ability to sustain your point of view logically and substantively.

Regards,
KASPAR

P.S. Moderators, please do not allow other members to resort to derogatory remarks and namecalling as a substitute of making on merits argument relevant to the subject matter.

Moderators, please do not allow this guy to repost messages deleted by moderators :D

This clearly is a harassment and attempt to censor and suppress posts of the member whose opinion you disagree with. I have reported you to mods.

My Interview Experience

Interview was scheduled @11:50AM but as my wife was scheduled at 8AM (normally they keep family together), they changed mine also at 8 AM. Interview was separate with different officer.
She asked me for OATH before answering all questions.
Then started with English Knowledge, Then Civic questions.
Nothing about Speeding Tickets.

I had answered YES for DUI, so she asked me the papers which I provided.(She already had my file of GC and that same papers were there even though she asked. ( I wanted to ask her that but thought..Don't be oversmart...)
Guys I would say keep pleasant personality, look fresh, answer only the questions asked. These are my thoughts only.

I requested her to schedule next available OATH date and she scheduled 28th and passed the same info to the officer who was interviewing my wife. Very co-operative.
Waiting time is too long but interview hardly takes 15-20 minutes.
Good Luck you guys.
Please post any question and I will try to reply
(Sorry guys (specially to Bobsmyth) for late in reply as first I got my laptop re-imaged, forgot password and then trip out of country.)

Interview was scheduled @11:50AM but as my wife was scheduled at 8AM (normally they keep family together), they changed mine also at 8 AM. Interview was separate with different officer.
(Sorry guys (specially to Bobsmyth) for late in reply as first I got my laptop re-imaged, forgot password and then trip out of country.)

Congrats. 8 speeding tickets? Wow man ....!! Slowdown. I got a few but "all" of them were unintentional. I never got a ticket when I intentionally went fast.