Please advice what I need to to do next fot status adjustment.

Lalmba

Registered Users (C)
Hi there,

Thanks all for the help you provide for people who have no clue like I.

I am LPR (green card) about to be a citizen in a couple of weeks God willing. My wife, who I mate here who came here as a student has an approved I130 and is waiting online for her priority date to be active.

Meanwhile due to personal reasons she could not continue her study and is now out of status for one semester.

Once I become citizen what are the steps I should take for her to get a green card. How do I apply what forms do I use and how long will it take?

Please help.

Thanks for your adivce in advance.
Hassen.

Now I know what to do

Thanks ananga73.

Now I know what I need to do. I am going to lodge forms 485, 693 and 765.

One Question I have is that "Part 2 - Application Type" in form I-485 the chioces applicable does not apply to my case. I want to apply early for I am getting my citizenship and that option is not there. Do I select other and explain my case?

Thanks
Lalmba

Now I know what I need to do. I am going to lodge forms 485, 693 and 765.
Make the medical appointment for the I-693 medical now. It needs 2 appointments a few days apart, and can take a couple weeks to get the results. The medical can be done as much as 12 months in advance of sending it, so it's not too early if the appointment is before you become a citizen (although you can't send the I-693 or I-485 before you become a citizen or the priority date is current).

One Question I have is that "Part 2 - Application Type" in form I-485 the chioces applicable does not apply to my case. I want to apply early for I am getting my citizenship and that option is not there. Do I select other and explain my case?

Choice (a) is the correct one for an I-485 based on marriage to a US citizen.

Thanks Jackolntern.

How long will the change of status take? Is there any place where one can check how long the processing time is?

It should take under 12 months after you are eligible to send it (AOS package) in. USCIS website publishes approximate processing times for their service centres and district offices.

How long will the change of status take? Is there any place where one can check how long the processing time is?

It should take under 12 months after you are eligible to send it (AOS package) in. USCIS website publishes approximate processing times for their service centres and district offices.

Really? :( I was hoping that it will be way shorter. How about for 765? Hope that will be approved earlier?

Her priority date is only 4 months away. How long will it take if I have to lodge 485 after her priority date is acitve?

I said it MAY take 12 months. It all depends on your local DO.
EAD should be approved earlier. Around 3-4 months. The 12 month approximate period will start after AOS submission.

Really? :( I was hoping that it will be way shorter. How about for 765? Hope that will be approved earlier?

Her priority date is only 4 months away. How long will it take if I have to lodge 485 after her priority date is acitve?

Really? :( I was hoping that it will be way shorter.
12 months is unusually long for an I-485 based on marriage to a US citizen (but it happens sometimes). A more typical time frame is 4 to 6 months.

She can't file I-485 unless you're a citizen, because she's out of status. Once you're a citizen and she files the I-485 with proof of your citizenship, priority dates won't matter.

Adjustment of Status Process to Green Card

For getting green card through adjustment of status process in any country, Firstly you should taking legal advice to a professional lawyer, who has good knowledge for this process. Then you will proceed further process for getting Green Card.

how do I obtain a proof of legal residency, or a proof that I'm not a U.S citizen?

I have a green card as of 2010, I need some sort of proof that I'm not a U.S citizen? The Israeli counsulate is requesting that I proivde them with a proof of that. Does anybody knows how to get that? I did some research and I read that I need to file Form G-639 FOIA, would that form provide such proof? also, I read that this form may take up to one year, anything I can do to expedite the process?

I really appreciate all the help I can get

12 months is unusually long for an I-485 based on marriage to a US citizen (but it happens sometimes). A more typical time frame is 4 to 6 months.

She can't file I-485 unless you're a citizen, because she's out of status. Once you're a citizen and she files the I-485 with proof of your citizenship, priority dates won't matter.

Hi all,

At last thanks God I am a citizen now.

As explained above my wife, who came as student here and we met got married and went to colledge for 3 semesters and missed one semester to complete here associate degree and is now out of status for the last 2 semesters.

Her I-130 was approved and is in line waiting for priority date. Since I became a citizen last week now I am about to file I-485, I-864, I-765, I-693 and I-131.

I have 2 questions please help...

1. Will this be a problem in the interview?
2. Does her being out of status will have any effect on approval?

Please help.
Lalmba.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do NOT file for I-131!! Your wife is out of status [i don't know for how long] and if she travels before the green card approval, she just might be stuck out of the country with a bar since she is out of status.

Hi all,

I am about to file I-485, I-864, I-765, I-693 and I-131.

I have 2 questions please help...

1. Will this be a problem in the interview?
2. Does her being out of status will have any effect on approval?

Please help.
Lalmba.

No, and No.

Thanks TheRealCanadian, that is a relief.

When I apply for employment authorisation (I-765) does it come soon or is it going to be after the interview? and if I apply along side i-485 do I have to pay separately or the payment for I-485 covers it?

If I have to pay separately do you think it is worth applying for employment authorisation if it is given 2 weeks apart from the green card?