Planning an India trip with US passport that expires less than six months after end of trip

JPBoston

Registered Users (C)
My son already has his OCI and his US passport will be expiring a few months (less than six months) after the end of an India trip we're planning. In other words, we're planning to land in India when his passport has less than six months' validity left. Now I know certain countries do not allow people to enter if a passport has less than six months' validity left in it and I was wondering if anyone had made a trip to India on a US passport with this situation and if there were any hassles created at the airport of entry. I would think this should not really be a problem since we would have a confirmed air ticket leaving well before the passport expired but more importantly, my son has OCI status and so he technically should be allowed to enter and live in India for as long as needed, right? Would like to hear real life experiences on this as well as any informed opinions. Thanks!

My son already has his OCI and his US passport will be expiring a few months (less than six months) after the end of an India trip we're planning. In other words, we're planning to land in India when his passport has less than six months' validity left. Now I know certain countries do not allow people to enter if a passport has less than six months' validity left in it and I was wondering if anyone had made a trip to India on a US passport with this situation and if there were any hassles created at the airport of entry. I would think this should not really be a problem since we would have a confirmed air ticket leaving well before the passport expired but more importantly,

my son has OCI status and so he technically should be allowed to enter and live in India for as long as needed, right?
--------------- You are correct. no problems for your son. he has OCI.

Would like to hear real life experiences on this as well as any informed opinions. Thanks!

-----------------

Just to close the loop on this. We came back from our India trip and my son had no issues whatsoever getting into and out of India with a passport that was expiring in less than six months of our trip there.

The only thing that surprised me when we were departing India was that the emigration officer asked me how come the US government issued passports for only five years for children. I thought it was pretty obvious and was surprised that someone in his role who sees tons of similar passports would not have known why. Anyway I explained and he got it. Does India issue 10 year passports for Indian citizen children?

Last edited by a moderator: