Picture on Naturalization Certificate already peeling off..

catmomto3

Registered Users (C)
And I received it less than a month ago. Does anyone know if it would be OK for me to just put a glue stick to it, or do I need to contact USCIS. Thanks!!!
Hope everyone has been doing well.:):):)

And I received it less than a month ago. Does anyone know if it would be OK for me to just put a glue stick to it, or do I need to contact USCIS. Thanks!!!

It is because you paid $670 and wasn't enough to get a better glue and now you are complaining about it. Immigrants! :D

Well, I don't know what I would do, I may just carfully glue it my self.

Are we allowed to laminate this sucker?

It might be using a very special glue. Traces of another kind of glue could cause a suspision of the certificate being altered. I would not wish that happen to my certificate.
You cannot laminate it as well - then it will not be usable, even though you will be able to keep it intact that way.

No glue stick, no lamination; what's a girl to do? Right now, I'm not really in the mood to already make contact with USCIS again. Maybe in a few weeks I feel up to it. I just hope they don't charge a certificate replacement fee. Maybe a few thin strips of duct tape around the picture will do the trick:D:D:D:D:D

Nimche, LOL, yes, I know, I was a cheap immigrant. Maybe I should have paid $100 extra for super glue. Wish they would attach the pictures the way they are done in the passport. And on a final note, Congratulations on your citizenship.

Thanks everyone for the help and input; it's always appreciated.
:)Hugs to you all:)

RELAX :) no worries

Catmomto3,

I believe USCIS get some cheap glue. It is just a picture there is no seal or stamp on the picture. I had same issue and i just got some glue from walmart and stick it and sent to US passport office to get my US passport. I believe there should be some system to verify the picture in the Naturalization certificate from US passport office. As long as you don't stick different photo ;) you should be fine. RELAX :)

- Kris-colo

The glue has to be officially certified by USCIS. Using another kind of glue can get you denaturalized. :D

Who is making this special glue for Uscis? Halliburton? lol

Mom, are you carrying this certf to various places and using it a lot or is it kept undisturbed? I am trying to figure out how it started peeling off by itself.

I keep my husband's certificate and our daughters birth certificates inside clear notebook pockets. And I carry them inside a file folder. This way they don't get damaged. He received his certificate in March and it still looks like the day he got it.
When we cross the border I don't even take them out of the clear pockets. But we can if we have to, so far they've never asked us to take it out. Except once when they were trying to compare one of my daughter's birth certificate w/ someone else's who was trying to cross using their B/C only. But it had nothing to do w/ us personally.

So, I think that instead of using glue, put it inside some sort of clear pocket, like I have. And handle it carefully.

Good Luck!

I keep my husband's certificate and our daughters birth certificates inside clear notebook pockets. And I carry them inside a file folder. This way they don't get damaged. He received his certificate in March and it still looks like the day he got it.
When we cross the border I don't even take them out of the clear pockets. But we can if we have to, so far they've never asked us to take it out. Except once when they were trying to compare one of my daughter's birth certificate w/ someone else's who was trying to cross using their B/C only. But it had nothing to do w/ us personally.

So, I think that instead of using glue, put it inside some sort of clear pocket, like I have. And handle it carefully.

Good Luck!

Just wait till you apply for the passport, then your certificate looks 20 years old and folded 546 times.

Catmomto3,

I believe USCIS get some cheap glue. It is just a picture there is no seal or stamp on the picture. I had same issue and i just got some glue from walmart and stick it and sent to US passport office to get my US passport. I believe there should be some system to verify the picture in the Naturalization certificate from US passport office. As long as you don't stick different photo ;) you should be fine. RELAX :)

- Kris-colo

Ummm - actually there is a seal on the picture. It is one of those embossed rubber seals. On my certificate, the seal is half on the picture and the other half on the certificate. While I don't think gluing back my picture if it were to come off in exactly the same place would cause a problem - you still have to be careful to match the seal indentation - because there is one.

Hi everybody, I had a nice chuckle over some comments; they made my day.:D Well anyhow, I ended up calling the 800 number for USCIS, and the person with whom I spoke had no idea what to do since they have no listed rules or guidelines for peeling pictures. And guess what, they don't use any mysterious glue. Since the picture is peeling from the top towards the bottom and the embossed seal is not disturbed, I'm allowed to glue the picture back in place with my own glue stick. However, certificate must not look fake or altered. In other words, if I mess up, I need a replacement and pay the appropriate fee.:eek: So, sometime this week when I have the house to myself and lots of quiet time, I'll do microscopic surgery to fix the picture.:D Will report back on it when I'm done. In the meantime, thanks again for all the wonderful help and suggestions.
:)Wishing all of you a nice and peaceful day:)