Philadelphia Transfer Cases

Our case has been approved

On 11/9/04, mine and my wife's I-485 cases have been approved after interview. We entered the building 30 minutes before the appointmet time. After 15 minutes we met our attorney. Our attorney notified the front desk that we were there. Called in after 30 minutes. Lasted another 20 minutes, the interview. Very starightforward questions. Only requested passports and updated employment letter.

For those of you who are Muslims, there is no reason to think that your cases will be problamatic or denied. In fact my wife has head scarf and all and all the staff were quite plaasent and helpful.

I have been around in this forum about two years now. I think my waiting time broke a record. But also a proof that things get done even if late. I hope your turn will come soon. Signing off... :) :) :)

Turkish Engineer said:
On 11/9/04, mine and my wife's I-485 cases have been approved after interview. We entered the building 30 minutes before the appointmet time. After 15 minutes we met our attorney. Our attorney notified the front desk that we were there. Called in after 30 minutes. Lasted another 20 minutes, the interview. Very starightforward questions. Only requested passports and updated employment letter.

For those of you who are Muslims, there is no reason to think that your cases will be problamatic or denied. In fact my wife has head scarf and all and all the staff were quite plaasent and helpful.

I have been around in this forum about two years now. I think my waiting time broke a record. But also a proof that things get done even if late. I hope your turn will come soon. Signing off... :) :) :)

Let me be the first one to congratulate you. Indeed a long wait! I am glad it ended well. There is no rhyme/reason/logic these folkd follow and it causes all the unnecessary anxiety. Relax and enjoy the freedom!

Congratulations, Turkish Engineer!!

I know you have been waiting for long time. I am sure you really deserve it. Although I am a new comer here (I140 just approved this month and I485 was transferred to the Philly office), I have read quite a few threads by you. Your case is encouraging, especially for those who have waited for long time.

Enjoy the freedom.

bobbyren

My case was approved. Passport was stamped. My case should be straight forward, but the interview lasted for nearly one hour. The officer is friendly and professional. But he is also very careful, firm, and a little tough. Looks like that he was surprised that our lawyer was not with us. Because some errors, he thought our cases were family based. Actually it's a NIW case. I showed the original I140 to him. He asked a tough question: Do you published any new papers? Fortunately, I submitted a few patents while I was waiting for the green card. After that I knew he decided to approve my case. Then he asked some questions about my employer, asked for the employment letter. Didn't ask for Paystub and tax return. He also noticed that my H1B in his file had been expired. I showed him the extended H1B. He asked for the passport, driver's license, all EADs, all APs, the I-94 of my last entry. Then he left for a few minutes to get the visa number, stamped my passport. My wife's case is easy. He was interested in our marriage: when did we meet; when we married; do we have a child; asked for the marriage certificate; asked my child's birthday. He also asked the standard questions in I485. He stamped her passport and congratulated us. I asked whether he need new photos. He said: if you have, just give me. If you don't have, that's not problem. I will take a vacation for 3 weeks. If you have any questions, I can answer when I am back.

Good luck

Congratulations to Turkish Engineer and Yellowcard!

Turkish Engineer,

Congratulations to you for this hard-earned and long-waited green card! Thanks for your suggestions for being patient!

Yellowcard,

Thank you for sharing information on this forum. Good luck and congratulations!

I 've been interviewed but without approvement

I was told that our security check was still going on at the time of interview. It could take up to 9 months. The officer returned all our files...I am still very confusion, Not sure if I need to go there again.

Approved

Dear Friends,
I just wanted to let you know that my friend and his wife have been approved after interview. Case was transferred on May15,03. Interview was on November 9th,04.
I am told it was a breeze. They went to the office early and their attorney showed up 5 minutes before.
They were fingerprinted.Taken to a room where they were asked to take an oath that they would tell the truth. The wife's case whch is a derivative was transfered recently to the philly office but she did not have an interview letter. But they tracked her file and also interviewed her. The husband was asked very straight forward questions. EAD original was taken ... copy of id. was taken. The officer was very happy and impressed that they had their file so well organised that his work was cut into half.the interview was very short because of that. The questions asked were the standard ones. Infact I am told the atmosphere was very light and jovial.Took employment letter and did not ask for paystub but was given by the laywer just in case. Also took marriage certificate and copies and their recent joint tax return. Wife was just asked date of birth and one or two standard questions. Both stamped and approved and congratulated. Officer I am told was very nice.
Good luck to you all. I do not need to get on this board again .I was just helping my friend as his lawyer was not all that pro-active. I think if you are well prepared and have all papers ready and well organised you should be fine.
Good luck to you all.
Bye !!

nabuco said:
I was told that our security check was still going on at the time of interview. It could take up to 9 months. The officer returned all our files...I am still very confusion, Not sure if I need to go there again.

Nabuco,

When did you have your interview? Could you tell us more details about your interview? What kind of questions did the officer ask?

Good luck,
bobbyren

My interview

At this time point, I think I am definitely gonna have an interview again. The officer was a very nice person, asking general questions about 10 mins, (my husband and I couldn't believe that was it, we were too happy to believe)...and all of sudden, he said everything was perfect except that they haven't got back from FBI with respect to the security check (or name check? ) for my husband. We have to wait up to 9 month until the check is over.

Then he returned all files to us.

We had it all: RFE, Transfer , interview, interview without approvement. But remember, we never changed our job during 5 years...

I hope nobody here will have to experience that...Wish you all good luck!!!

RD, FEB, 2002

Sad to know about your experience. I am still optmistic about your case becasue FBI Name Check may not take too long. I think you'll get an approval letter within 2 months at the most. You had filed your case in Feb of 2002 therefore, it shouldn't take that long.

Atleast the interview part is over. The officer will be checking on Daily bases to see if your cleared from FBI. As soon as the officer knows you'll get an approval letter in the mail or who knows straight away plastic card as I-551 stamp maybe ruled out in future.

You have waited long so don't loose the hope.

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!

Turkish Engineer,

Congratulations! I am so happy for you.

Monkey2003

Turkish Engineer said:

Is anyone here with earlier than receipt date of 9/01

Mine is!! My case was transferred on 1/2/03 to Philly. I see everyone getting interviews whose case was transferred later than that date.. Is there a way I can get my interview anytime soon??

Can I interfere with an unfair pending derivative I485?

To anyone who can help me with advice,

I am a primary employment-based AOS applicant, (hopefully) approaching my approval. I've been married for 4 years, but my wife stopped living with me 2 years ago (unofficially separated). By now our marriage has completely degraded solely into her using me for a derivative AOS.

Recently, I filed for an uncontested divorce, based on 18-month separation. However, she hired a lawyer and using loopholes turned this filing into a contested one, with an intention of dragging this case for another year so that she can get her GC. I had to respond to this on-going nightmare by hiring a family attorney, which is very expensive and time consuming.

I find this extremely unfair, in addition to apparently being illegal. So, I've sent a few letters (to which I never got any response) - first to VSC, and after the transfer, also to Philadelphia USCIS, explaining the situation and requesting to withdraw/cancel the spouse's derivative application, because our bona-fide marital relationship ceased to exist long time ago.

Here are my questions:

1. Does my complaint warrant for her I485 being revoked or not approved?
2. Are (unanswered) letters to USCIS a proper mechanism to achieve justice in this case? Are there any other venues to prevent this abuse?
3. Since "USCIS = one big mess", if her GC is approved, can it be revoked based on an official divorce a few months later?
4. Any other suggestions on what I should do?

Thank you in advance for all your help,

RNJ

P.S. I don't provide all personal details here, but trust me it was absolutely devastating to realize at one point that all premarital promises were a part of manipulation in order to relocate and settle in the US.

------------
Concurrent I140/I485 EB2
RD: 3/18/03
FP1-RD: 2/18/04
140-AD: 3/25/04
TD: 10/26/04 (my485: VSC->Nwrk; spouse485: VSC->Philadelphia)
11/10/04: Complaint letter to Philadelphia
Current Status: waiting for interview, name check not cleared

Last edited by a moderator:
Sushe485

Hi Folks,

My case is tranferred to Philadelphia Local Ins office on Sep 08, 2004. The notice says the initial processing is completed and transferred to Phili for scheduling an interview. My case filing details are below .

I485 - Filed in Vermont Service Center
RD : 01/30/2002
ND : 02/13/2002
1 st Finger print : 08/9/2002
2 nd Finger Print : 05/07/2004
RFE issued date : 08/08/2004
RFE replied date : 08/18/2004
Transfer date : 09/08/2004
Transfer RD : 02/13/2002

Any body knows how long it will take for sheduling the interview?
Do i need to contact the PHILI Local INS office?

attn . sushe and jsmith888666

hi,
i am new in this forum. but old visitor.
if i make mistakes , please disregard them.
basically, my case stands with jsmith888666.
my case was transferred to philadalphia on oct18, 2004.
i 485 rd . sep 2002
1 fp oct 2002.
2 fp june 2004
rfe aug 2004
rfe rcvd sep 2004.
case trans oct 2004.
notice received by lawer from vsc nov 2004.
no update after that.
please tell me, how long it will take for philadalphia to notify me.
hey i forgot to mention, i am from delaware.

hi , jsmith.
i am from dover. and living in dover for last 4yrs and still have the same address since i filed i485.
actually , i dont know how to find eb1, eb2 or eb3.
if u specify me , i will find it and will tell u.
take care.

jsmith888666 said:
RONEE,

are you still in DE? or have your filed address change? Are you EB1 or EB2 or EB3?

jsmith,
I am aware of your transfer and have been following this for several weeks as I was in the same boat. I know it is terribly frustrating to see things stuck in standstill. I am an EB1 and moved from DE to PA and changed address couple times in PA. Fortunately I got an approval notice today. So I am not sure if address change triggered the transfer in your case, but it is hard to predict any logic with USCIS.

Hang in there and hopefully they will schedule your interview soon and you will be done with the wait. I koow it is very hard and frustrating to keep waiting and hoping and not having any control. I hope that your petition gets adjusted soon. Good luck.

Rnj

RNJ said:
Here are my questions:

1. Does my complaint warrant for her I485 being revoked or not approved?
2. Are (unanswered) letters to USCIS a proper mechanism to achieve justice in this case? Are there any other venues to prevent this abuse?
3. Since "USCIS = one big mess", if her GC is approved, can it be revoked based on an official divorce a few months later?
4. Any other suggestions on what I should do?

Thank you in advance for all your help,

I have responded to your posers at this thread: http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?p=976552#post976552

One additional point: You can only PREVENT your wife from getting her green-card, if your divorce is DECREED before your interview. Even, if it is not finalized and decreed, there is a 50-50 chance for hers to get approved because INS is expected to not only see how they live after marriage, but to see whether the marriage was entered with a bona fide intent. It is a complex issue, but, still, there is a 50-50 chance for hers getting approved if your interview takes place before the divorce is decreed. However, once it is decreed, your wife cannot get her GC through your marriage. Also, see this will be true in your case: Until you get your divorce decreed, for sure, the local office is not going to call you for interview. They will keep your files in abeyance because they don't want to enter into this legal quagmire of whether to approve or reject your wife's petition. I assume, that they would have read your plaints that you had already sent.