Philadelphia Regional DOL Tracker

DOL Sends Transition Plan to SWAs

DOL Sends Transition Plan to SWAs

The U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) recently released a Memorandum dated September 29, 2004 (SWA Memo) to all State Workforce Agencies (SWAs) that outlines the transition plan for labor certification processing during Fiscal Year 2005. The SWA Memo provides both a description of what will happen if PERM is implemented and, alternatively, a plan that will be used if PERM is not implemented.

If PERM is implemented without changes in the version that is at the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), the SWAs will stop accepting labor certification applications 61 days after PERM is published in the Federal Register. The SWAs will continue their work on those aspects of the nonimmigrant programs that are within their province. DOL expects PERM to be issued prior to the end of the 2004 calendar year and to be operational within 60 days of publication. This 60-day estimate is half as long as the 120 days that DOL previously anticipated, and it is not clear whether this time estimate only refers to SWA functions or the entire PERM program. It is expected that PERM cases will be sent to PERM centers in Atlanta and Chicago. The SWAs will be responsible for providing prevailing wage determinations, but the mechanics of how they will provide this information has not yet been explained.

If PERM is not implemented the role of SWAs will still change significantly under the plan outlined in the SWA Memo. Currently, the SWAs complete initial processing on labor certifications by performing tasks including, but not limited to, assessing whether the labor certifications are properly filed as Reduction in Recruitment (RIR) cases, overseeing recruitment in regular labor certification cases, assigning job codes to the described positions, and determining whether the cases have the proper prevailing wages. Under current procedures the cases then are sent to a Federal Regional office for final certification.

The DOL, however, intends to fully use the Backlog Reduction Interim Final Rule to transfer existing cases to the Backlog Elimination Centers (BECs) in Philadelphia and Dallas and to send newly filed cases to National Processing Centers (NPCs) in Atlanta and Chicago. This means that, whether PERM centers or NPCs are created, Atlanta and Chicago are expected to become the hub of all future labor certification processing by the end of the calendar year.

The DOL is already in the process of moving to the BECs in Philadelphia and Dallas. They expect to publish a Notice in the Federal Register within the next few weeks to provide mailing addresses and contact information for these backlog elimination centers.

SWA funding from the DOL for labor certifications is being cut by approximately 50%, and the SWAs are directed to use at least some of this funding for a full-time employee who will coordinate the transition from a state / federal system to a primarily federally-administered system. This SWA employee will coordinate the shipping of pending labor certification cases that are with the SWAs. In the absence of PERM, the SWA employee will also coordinate sending cases that will continue to be received by the SWAs to the appropriate NPC. The remaining funds are to be used to process cases opened through January 1, 2005, and the processing of old cases that are not transferred to a BEC.

Prior to January 1, 2005, SWAs are directed to continue accepting and processing labor certification cases. Cases still "open" on that date will be processed as normal until they are ready to be forwarded to the applicable NPC. Cases not open will go to one of the BECs or to foreign labor certification staff in New York, Boston, or San Francisco.

The SWAs are instructed to date-stamp labor certification applications they receive after January 1, 2005, but to forward them directly to one of the NPCs without further action. The DOL expects to publish a notice in the Federal Register that labor certifications filed with the SWAs after January 1, 2005 will be sent to the NPCs for processing. Presumably, this Notice will not be published until there is a final decision on whether PERM will be implemented.

Under this plan, as with the PERM plan, the SWAs will still continue their nonimmigrant-related work.

While cases transferred to the BECs will continue to be processed on RIR or regular labor certification tracks, the DOL will use a first-in / first-out (FIFO) principle in processing all cases, regardless of where a case was originally filed. This means that no one should be forum shopping for the fastest jurisdiction under this plan. Cases from the San Francisco DOL office will be sent to both of the BECs, as this office has some of the oldest cases in the country.

SWAs will start receiving directions in October 2004 on how and when to send cases to Philadelphia or Dallas. Initially, cases at the SWAs with the earliest filing dates, regardless of geographic location, will be transferred to the BECs. These cases should start moving at the end of October 2004. Not all SWAs will be affected by this first move as the DOL is trying to get the oldest cases moved first. After the oldest cases are processed, additional cases will be transferred between January 2005 and March 2005. These cases will include all labor certifications received by the SWAs prior to December 31, 2004, on which the SWA had not started work.

Cases from the SWAs in Alabama, Georgia, Massachusetts, New York, Rhode Island, Virgin Islands, Connecticut, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Delaware, Maine, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Washington D.C., Florida, Maryland, New Jersey, Puerto Rico, Vermont, and West Virginia are currently assigned to send their labor certifications to the National Processing Center in Atlanta, as and when directed.

Cases from the Alaska, Colorado, Illinois, Louisiana, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Arizona, Guam, Indiana, Michigan, Nebraska, Ohio, Texas, Wyoming, Arkansas, Hawaii, Iowa, Minnesota, Nevada, Oklahoma, Utah, California, Idaho, Kansas, Missouri, New Mexico, Oregon, and Washington SWAs are currently assigned to send their labor certifications to the National Processing Center in Chicago, as and when directed.

While no legal interpretations of DOL rules and regulations are being changed under the SWA Memo if PERM is not implemented, the procedural changes may impact how cases are processed. Many SWAs had slightly different viewpoints on the application of the labor certification laws and regulations, as did the regional DOL offices. With only the two Backlog Elimination Centers that are expected to close once the backlog elimination is complete, and the two National Processing Centers, greater consistency can be expected in terms of both the interpretation of rules and the processing times.

We at The Law Office of Sheela Murthy, P.C., will continue to monitor these important developments and report to you whether the PERM or the non-PERM plan will be implemented. We will continue to assess the implications for our MurthyDotCom and MurthyBulletin readers.

Source:
http://www.murthy.com

akela said:
I know it's the wrong forum to ask this questin but anyway here it goes--

If you are on H1 visa, can you work for someone else part time while keeping your H1 company still as the 'main' full time employer.

If yes, does this negatively effect your green card process.

What you new company has to provide you (like a H1 or something). Do you have to take INS permission or permission from your main company??

rgds,
a

** You have to file for H1 for part time hours (other then your main 40 hours) with the new employer.

** Make sure if your full time employer has no agrrement with you prohibiting any similiar type of part time jobs ( Conflict of Interest)

DOL transition plan

My understanding from reading this plan is that Philly Regional cases may not necessarily be processed first. All the SWAs, and some regional dols will send old cases to Philly BEC, cases are processed based on priority date. Our cases in Philly Regional will be sent to BEC to join the big queue. Depending on our priority date, some of us can get through much earlier than others.

If so, Priority date becomes very important now. Can some one clarify again what a priority date is? Is it the date that your file the petition with SWA or the date that the case is transferred and received at Regional DOL.

Thanks

Priority Date is the Date the application was accepted by the SWA. This Date is also printed on the Receipt that the Regional DOL sent on receipt of application at Regional Office.

Regards
Amol

Two H1s?

Hi, gp111, you mean, one can apply two H1s. one full-tiem, the other part-time? If that is the case, it will be wonderful.

skylake said:
Hi, gp111, you mean, one can apply two H1s. one full-tiem, the other part-time? If that is the case, it will be wonderful.

You can apply as many H1 you want, only thing it must not overlap with eachother in work hours & have similar info for your experience/qualifications.

Phily Regional DOL date shows that they are working now July 2003.

What is that mean ? Is the above date is SWA receipt date or receipt date by DOL.

Some of the above post confused me again.

more than 40 hrs/wk in H-1?

neelatul said:
I was used to work for two employers in 2000, one full time and one part time. Both were holding my H1 independently. So far I do not have any problem. Of course, I am also sailing in the same boat with all you guys, waiting for Regional Labor clearance.

Hi, my understanding was that a person in H-1 status cannot work for more than 40 hours in a week. Did you find from lawyer or other reliable source about the option for working for 40+ hours?

Just curious...
Thanks.

Priority Date...

Guys,

It looks like there is no mention of timeline for processing applications whether philly first, sfo first or philly + sfo. All they mention in the memo is the schedule for entering the cases into BEC database to sort them based on PD.

That said our fate will depend on whether 1.) all BEC personnel work on inputting the cases into system OR 2.) some will enter the data and some will process the applications which are entered.

may be Tomshu/Akela can help us in this regard...

- eln

g2p2 said:
Hi, my understanding was that a person in H-1 status cannot work for more than 40 hours in a week. Did you find from lawyer or other reliable source about the option for working for 40+ hours?

Just curious...
Thanks.
There are no laws prohibiting H1 people to work more then 40 hours.

ok, here what seems to be logical for BEC:

1-two centers r set up in a way that dallas is to pick up backlog from regions 4 5 6 (west) and all states depending on them, and phili for regions 1 2 3(east).

2- there will be 120 employees at each centers , around 60 to 80 of them will be analysits and the remaining will be entering data to the system as more shipments for dol and swa come.
therefore, the actual number of analysts will be 60 to 80 not 120 in each center. assuming that half of them will be for RIR and the other half for regular cases. this means for rir there will be around 30 to 40 analystsper center.

3- having 30 to 40 analysts for rir and assuming that an average of 10 applications r processed a day by each one of them, this means that 300 to 400 applications of rir r cleared everyday or around 2000 a week or 8000 rir per month from each center.

4-i think fifo in the term of dol means that they will begin by the states that have earliest processing time and go through them till make them current then they will go to the other states with the second early processing date.
this analysis means that each state will be cleared first before going to another one. i think this is what they mean by fifo. there is a difference by fifo of states and fifo of applications. this makes a big difference.

comments?

hope you are right...

antonioa77 said:

1-two centers r set up in a way that dallas is to pick up backlog from regions 4 5 6 (west) and all states depending on them, and phili for regions 1 2 3(east).

2- there will be 120 employees at each centers , around 60 to 80 of them will be analysits and the remaining will be entering data to the system as more shipments for dol and swa come.
therefore, the actual number of analysts will be 60 to 80 not 120 in each center. assuming that half of them will be for RIR and the other half for regular cases. this means for rir there will be around 30 to 40 analystsper center.

3- having 30 to 40 analysts for rir and assuming that an average of 10 applications r processed a day by each one of them, this means that 300 to 400 applications of rir r cleared everyday or around 2000 a week or 8000 rir per month from each center.

4-i think fifo in the term of dol means that they will begin by the states that have earliest processing time and go through them till make them current then they will go to the other states with the second early processing date.
this analysis means that each state will be cleared first before going to another one. i think this is what they mean by fifo. there is a difference by fifo of states and fifo of applications. this makes a big difference.

comments?

antonioa77,

where did you get this info, specially 60 to 80 analysts and remaning are data feeders. we hope you are right and will see some approvals in near future...

Among, all the confusion on the order in which BEC will process applications, I have one more question for the forum

With priority date cut-off likely being implemented for EB-3 filing 485 from Jan 2005 onwards, how is the BSCIS likely to arrive at this cut-off date? What is the rationale they are likely to use for this date? I think this is important for all EB3 filers here, as LC approval after Jan 2005 will be of minimal use, if PD cut-off date is long back in the past, and from one long queue to the next long queue.

Thanks
Amol

Dol Memo

From www.immigration-law.com
10/23/2004: Ongoing Reorganization of Labor Certification Functions at the Federal Level

For the last two days, we have posted messages as to how the labor certification functions at the State level are reengineered before or after January 1, 2005. Basically, the State offices will be phased out. Now, a Regional Office memo of DOL/ETA dated October 21, 2004 indicates that the Regional offices structure (currently 6 Regions) will also be phased out and the entire staff of the offices of certifying officers at the six Regions will be transferred to the National Processing Centers (NPC) in Chicago and Atlanta by the end of December 2004. We reported earlier that the Region V office was relocating to the site of National Processing Center in Chicago and all the files were being boxed for moving. It turns out that this moving involves more than physical relocation of the Region V. It involves the separation of the foreign labor certification function and staff from the Regional structure of ETA of DOL and merge into the "national" structure of the ETA of DOL. The Memorandum states as follows:
The Employment and Training Administration (ETA) is proceeding with a reorganization of its offices, divisons and units to better serve its customers. Part of this reoganization is a redeployment of Federal staff involved with foreign labor certification. This function has been transferred from the Regional Offices to the Office of National Programs, Division of Foreign Labor Certification (DFLC). The Division has reorganized its foreign labor certification activities in a new structure intended to eliminate the current Permanent Program backlog and implement the new Program Electronic Review Management (PERM) system. The newly created structure will be Center-based and include all program functions and Federal staff currently residing in ETA Regional Offices. Before the end of calendar year 2004, Federal foreign labor certification staff nationwide will be relocated to two Perm Processing Centers located in Atlanta and Chicago.
The Region V Foreign Labor Certification Staff are currently in the process of moving and its new name and office address are as follow:
Chicago Perm Processing Center
844 N. Rush St.
12th Floor
Chicago, Illinois 60611
This is indeed an earth-shaking reform of alien labor certification system!

I have read somewhere that there are around 300,000 cases pending to be processed at this point. Your source of information about the number of analyst seems correct.

300,000 cases / 24 months / 20 working days per month / 150 analysts = 4
i.e 4 cases per analyst per day. Which makes sense.

I do not agree with your view on FIFO.
My understanding of FIFO is that the cases will be processed based on their priority date irrespective of their current status. It will not matter whether the case is currently in SWA or the Regional office. Whether the case is from CA or CO. Nationally whichever case was received first will be processed first. They will not go state by state. All the SWAs and Regional offices will forward their cases to the respective BRC.

It is a well-known fact that CA has the highest backlog in terms of number of cases and processing time so it is obvious that many CA cases have the oldest priority dates and hence they are the first one being forwarded to BRC. But that does not mean that they will go state by state.

antonioa77 said:

comments?

APD said:
I have read somewhere that there are around 300,000 cases pending to be processed at this point. Your source of information about the number of analyst seems correct.

300,000 cases / 24 months / 20 working days per month / 150 analysts = 4
i.e 4 cases per analyst per day. Which makes sense.

I do not agree with your view on FIFO.
My understanding of FIFO is that the cases will be processed based on their priority date irrespective of their current status. It will not matter whether the case is currently in SWA or the Regional office. Whether the case is from CA or CO. Nationally whichever case was received first will be processed first. They will not go state by state. All the SWAs and Regional offices will forward their cases to the respective BRC.

It is a well-known fact that CA has the highest backlog in terms of number of cases and processing time so it is obvious that many CA cases have the oldest priority dates and hence they are the first one being forwarded to BRC. But that does not mean that they will go state by state.

ok let me be clear about the fifo thing.
if u read the memo, it says that a first shipment from SWA will be received by BEC in october end. just the swa with the oldest backlogged cases will be involved in this first round. DOL will focus first on those swa with oldest backlog cases. this means that for those states with oldest backlog they will use the fifo of state as a whole not nationwide. from what i understand that applicants (even the most recent ones like who applied in sep 2004) in the slowest states in the country will be cleared first before bec work on the faster states . do u agree with me?

Last edited by a moderator:
For all the theories, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. I want to see at least one firm instance of a Philly DOL case receiving a letter from DOL before I even bother to have an opinion either way.

If the whole idea of this exercise is to make this process more uniform and equitable, then it does not make sense that somebody who filed in Sep 2004 will be cleared before somebody who filed in Mar 2002. It is certainly possible that SWAs will not be transferring all of their cases, but just cases before a certain receipt date. The existing DOL system was terrily unfair, as we all know.
Can you blame people for trying to forum shop? They are simply smart enough to take advantage of the flawed system. And then the DOL wastes additional time trying to catch them instead of fixing the broken system (which I believe they have finally recognized and are attempting to fix). If we go from one patently unfair system to another, what is the point of this re-engineering? Of course, this is my hope speaking more than anything else.

antonioa77 said:
ok let me be clear about the fifo thing.
if u read the memo, it says that a first shipment from SWA will be received by BEC in october end. just the swa with the oldest backlogged cases will be involved in this first round. DOL will focus first on those swa with oldest backlog cases. this means that for those states with oldest backlog they will use the fifo of state as a whole not nationwide. from what i understand that applicants (even the most recent ones like who applied in sep 2004) in the slowest states in the country will be cleared first before bec work on the faster states . do u agree with me?

Last edited by a moderator:
both email and phone not working for checking the status

Hi, I tried both email / phone to check the status. but no luck. can you anyone tell me how to check the status of State and Region. Thanks, Nanban.
------------------------------------

usnycus said:
HOW TO CHECK STATUS FOR PENDING LC APPLICATION:

a) USING E-MAIL

Send a mail to "LCSTATUS03@doleta.gov" with no subject and just put following in text....

Employer Phone (xxx) xxx-xxxx
OR
Tax ID XX-XXXXXX
OR
Case XXXXXXX

b) USING AVM

Dial (215) 861-5286, & follow the instruction(s). When system prompts you to enter case #, enter “Case Number”.

If you don’t have case number, you can also use Employer Tax-ID OR Phone number (Number listed on PART-A of LC application). If you use this option, you will hear status of all the cases applied by your employer; those are preceded by DOT code. If your company had filled multiple LC application, then you might need to do some guessing based on dates and DOT code.

Line-Up of DOL New Four National Labor Certification Centers

10/24/2004: Line-Up of DOL New Four National Labor Certification Centers

The reshape of the leadership of the national foreign labor certification recruits mostly the existing leaders in the current Regions as follows:

National Certifying Officer: Bill Carlson, Chief of Forein Labor Certification, National Programs, ETA, DOL

Chicago National Processing Center Director: Charlene Giles (former Dallas Region Certifying Officer)

Atlanta National Processing Center Director: Gene Caso

Philadelphia Backlog Elimination Center Director: Steve Stefanko (Current Certifying Officer of Region II)

Dallas Backlog Elimination Center Director: John Barlett (Former Certifying Officer of Region IV)

The Certifying Officer of each National Processing Center has yet to be announced. The current Certifying Officers in the Regions who are left out of the appointment are: Region I, Region III, Region IV, and Region VI. It is interesting to see who will survive in the final line-up.
As we reported quite earlier, the Backlog Elimination Centers are manned by private contract in Maryland, named EXCEED Corporation.

SOURCE
http://www.immigration-law.com
under "Breaking News"