Philadelphia Regional DOL Tracker

10/28/2004: Backlog Reduction, System Reengineering, and Accompanying Issues of Unfairness in Immigration Process

The immigration processing pipeline has been clogged with chronic aiments producing mountains of backlogs and the involved government agencies have been struggling to deal with the clogged pipeline. Lately, both U.S. Department of Labor and U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Citizenship and Immigration Services, launched so-called reengineering of the system allegedly to reduce the backlogs.

We salute the agencies for their efforts to deal with the chronic ailment through reorganization and reshuffling of the process. However, we should not ignore inequity and unfairness which these reduction plans and initiatives currently produce because of the flaws in the plans or implementation of the plans. For instance, the USCIS launched so-called Pilot Programs in certain locations that allow processing of green card applications less than 90 days when hundreds and thousands of other people in the long pipeline are suffering from a long delay. Implementation of Pilot Program not only raises the issue of geographical inequity and unfairness but also raises eyebrows because of the way program is implemented. Reportedly even in the same location, some lucky applicants are selected for the Pilot Program processing and other applicants are not selected for the Pilot Program processing without a clear guideline. Furthermore, there is no known target date when the Program will be expanded to other locations giving the identical services to the consumers in other locations.

On the permanent labor certification front, the U.S. Department of Labor just released its reorganization removing the labor certification function from the State and Regional Offices of ETA to the National Program Office of the DOL and creating two sets of national processing centers: National Processing Centers for post January 1, 2005 applications and Backlog Reduction Centers for Pre-January 1, 2005 applications. The guiding rule for processing of applications for both of these national processing centers is First-In First-Out. For the Backlog Reduction Centers, there are more than 300,000 cases in the queue and recent filers and prospective files during November and December 2004 are likely to be placed at the end of the national queue for each type of proceedings (Regular, RIR, Limited Review Processing, Faculty Special Handling, etc.). Meanwhile those applications that are filed after January 1, 2005 are likely processed by the new National Processing Centers in Atlanta and Chicago that do not have any cases in the pipeline other than those cases which have been "opened" and may be able to process such new applications of different types in a relatively short period of time. If the newly created National Processing Centers are created for the purpose of PERM Program which is distinguished from the current labor certification system not only in the the procedure but also the substantive requirements for eligibility, the issue of unfairness and inequity between the old filers and the new filers is minimized. However, if the unfair treatment is created just because of the reorganization and not driven by justifiable changes in the substantive standards and procedural rules, such action is dubious at best.

We realize that reforms tend to produce accompanying pains, but the government should excert its efforts not to create a misunderstanding of arbitrariness in administration and management of the programs. It is hoped that the PERM regulation be cleared by OMB and published in the federal register very quickly and the newly created National Processing Centers carry out their intended mission of the new electronic filing system such that the sense of arbitrariness be removed in the minds of public at least on the front of labor certification application management. We urge again the USCIS to make public its plan for expansion of the Pilot Program as soon as possible so that the people do not suffer from the feeling of unfairness.

SOURCE:
http://www.immigration-law.com
under breaking news.

Leave Inequity and Unfairness, these implementations have no rationale, for reducing Backlog, you halt all regular processing for 6 months, in the name of shifting the offices, and build up backlog and then say we will queue it up with the whole world's backlog.

What logic do these people have when they go ahead with plans of re-organizing? Screw all those innocent people who have been patiently in the queue.

My gut feel says that Philly guys are going to be the most screwed lot, as no processing happens in philly DOL for last 6 months and now BEC will mix it up with whole range of cases from all over, RIR, Non-RIR and no approvals expected to flow in for next 4-5 months atleast.

If only new cases after Jan 2005 will be sent to National processing centers and PERM will not be in place by that time, NPC processing will be so much faster than the BEC.

People already in the LC queue may rather file a new case in 2005 than waiting so painfully in the queue. If so, we may end up with more and more cases. Since people are unlikely to withdraw their old cases with BEC even they file a new case with NPC.

I guess DOL's rational about us (people who are stuck in the backlogged queue for so long) is "screw them since they are screwed up anyway".

In my opinion, be it NPC or BEC. They should only focus on reducing the existing backlog before tending the new cases. Once backlog is all cleared out, they can all become National centers or whatever they name them. Of course, our opinions don't count. We are not voters in this country. We have no voice and our cry of anger is silent.

It's still not clear whether we can re-file our cases with NPC. Eventhough it's very difficult for them to verify someone waiting in BEC has filed one more application with NPC. If they allow then there will be huge number of applications in NPC as well.

I don't understand what AILA is doing when they are briefed about this? may be they wanted this b'cas they should be able to extract more money for filing again with NPC/PERM.

There is no authentic information that they do not want to process applications till they sort them cased on PD etc., but that is the worst thing that can happen.

The only optimistic point mentioned in memo is that they want to process regional cases first, that means they might process some applications while entering all 300,000 applications.

Folks,

I just now talked to my lawyer and he says that the processing of philadelphia regional cases first is still alive. He was referring to his email interaction yesterday and probably our information (from tomshu/aleka) is not wrong but there might be some starting trouble. Lets wait for couple of weeks more.

one small correction...I was part of the so called pilot program and am still in the list waiting for federal labor approval...colleagues who filed after me and who were lucky not be part of the pilot program are now in 485 stage...

mvinays said:
10/28/2004: Backlog Reduction, System Reengineering, and Accompanying Issues of Unfairness in Immigration Process

The immigration processing pipeline has been clogged with chronic aiments producing mountains of backlogs and the involved government agencies have been struggling to deal with the clogged pipeline. Lately, both U.S. Department of Labor and U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Citizenship and Immigration Services, launched so-called reengineering of the system allegedly to reduce the backlogs.

We salute the agencies for their efforts to deal with the chronic ailment through reorganization and reshuffling of the process. However, we should not ignore inequity and unfairness which these reduction plans and initiatives currently produce because of the flaws in the plans or implementation of the plans. For instance, the USCIS launched so-called Pilot Programs in certain locations that allow processing of green card applications less than 90 days when hundreds and thousands of other people in the long pipeline are suffering from a long delay. Implementation of Pilot Program not only raises the issue of geographical inequity and unfairness but also raises eyebrows because of the way program is implemented. Reportedly even in the same location, some lucky applicants are selected for the Pilot Program processing and other applicants are not selected for the Pilot Program processing without a clear guideline. Furthermore, there is no known target date when the Program will be expanded to other locations giving the identical services to the consumers in other locations.

On the permanent labor certification front, the U.S. Department of Labor just released its reorganization removing the labor certification function from the State and Regional Offices of ETA to the National Program Office of the DOL and creating two sets of national processing centers: National Processing Centers for post January 1, 2005 applications and Backlog Reduction Centers for Pre-January 1, 2005 applications. The guiding rule for processing of applications for both of these national processing centers is First-In First-Out. For the Backlog Reduction Centers, there are more than 300,000 cases in the queue and recent filers and prospective files during November and December 2004 are likely to be placed at the end of the national queue for each type of proceedings (Regular, RIR, Limited Review Processing, Faculty Special Handling, etc.). Meanwhile those applications that are filed after January 1, 2005 are likely processed by the new National Processing Centers in Atlanta and Chicago that do not have any cases in the pipeline other than those cases which have been "opened" and may be able to process such new applications of different types in a relatively short period of time. If the newly created National Processing Centers are created for the purpose of PERM Program which is distinguished from the current labor certification system not only in the the procedure but also the substantive requirements for eligibility, the issue of unfairness and inequity between the old filers and the new filers is minimized. However, if the unfair treatment is created just because of the reorganization and not driven by justifiable changes in the substantive standards and procedural rules, such action is dubious at best.

We realize that reforms tend to produce accompanying pains, but the government should excert its efforts not to create a misunderstanding of arbitrariness in administration and management of the programs. It is hoped that the PERM regulation be cleared by OMB and published in the federal register very quickly and the newly created National Processing Centers carry out their intended mission of the new electronic filing system such that the sense of arbitrariness be removed in the minds of public at least on the front of labor certification application management. We urge again the USCIS to make public its plan for expansion of the Pilot Program as soon as possible so that the people do not suffer from the feeling of unfairness.

SOURCE:
http://www.immigration-law.com
under breaking news.

Suggestion ??

Hi,
My company labour are pending at Phily DOL July 2003.
Once those labours come, one labour will be used for me for Labour Substitute...

We don't know how many months will it take..
for this i am waiting for past 1 year..

Now i found pre approved labour with some other company..
Planning to apply 140/485 with new company..

But that company is charging too much money..

What do you guys suggest wait for Phily (July 2003)Labor ?
my curent employer saying we come phily labour in Jan 2005.

Now with all the new BRC rules..i don't know how long will it take...........

please suggest me wait or go with pre approved labour ????/

Talk about Lucky Vs Unlucky!

Talk about Lucky Vs Unlucky!

I have something from my side to share.

A friend of mine filed his LC exactly 18 days before I filed my LC. He got his
485 approved couple of days ago, while I am still waiting for my LC approval from
Philly DOL.

Tomshu/Akela or anyone could you let us know, what is really happening with BRC/BEC?

AwardMyGC

sunkav said:
one small correction...I was part of the so called pilot program and am still in the list waiting for federal labor approval...colleagues who filed after me and who were lucky not be part of the pilot program are now in 485 stage...

gc_reddy said:
Hi,
My company labour are pending at Phily DOL July 2003.
Once those labours come, one labour will be used for me for Labour Substitute...

We don't know how many months will it take..
for this i am waiting for past 1 year..

Now i found pre approved labour with some other company..
Planning to apply 140/485 with new company..

But that company is charging too much money..

What do you guys suggest wait for Phily (July 2003)Labor ?
my curent employer saying we come phily labour in Jan 2005.

Now with all the new BRC rules..i don't know how long will it take...........

please suggest me wait or go with pre approved labour ????/

Just a sugetion to you, Why don't you apply your own labour on Jan 1st, 2005. It will go to NPC and there is no backlog in NPC. I guess it will be approved quickly.

It seems like Jan 1st, 2005 will be like March 31, 2001 when they received hundreds of thosands of applications. Some states, including MD, havnt been able to clear that back log yet. Wonder what will happen to NPC when they get millions of applications on Jan 1st, 2005?

GC_DJ said:
Just a sugetion to you, Why don't you apply your own labour on Jan 1st, 2005. It will go to NPC and there is no backlog in NPC. I guess it will be approved quickly.

they would start PERM phase 2 part 1...and the way things are going I would be part of that too :-(

Garfield said:
It seems like Jan 1st, 2005 will be like March 31, 2001 when they received hundreds of thosands of applications. Some states, including MD, havnt been able to clear that back log yet. Wonder what will happen to NPC when they get millions of applications on Jan 1st, 2005?

Tomshu or Akela or anyone,

It's been little over a week, since we received update pertaining to BRC/BEC?
Could you please open-up your hotline and let us know, what's going on with them? Your helpful information is highly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

AwardMyGC

tomshu said:
I have two points:
1/. As I said before, the Phil DOL cases will be processed first according to their case_num.
2/. Please DO NOT "call DOL officials too often or expose their phone number in public!!!"

DOL Transition Watch: DOL Provides More Insight

We reported in our October 22, 2004 MURTHYBULLETIN on the ongoing transformation
in the process for labor certification adjudication. That article, entitled "DOL
Sends Transition Plan to SWAs" <http://www.murthy.com/news/n_dolsen.html>, is
available on MurthyDotCom. This has raised many questions. We recently received
additional clarification, based on an October 8, 2004 meeting between key staff
members of the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) and members of the American
Immigration Lawyer's Association (AILA). Additional information was also
provided to AILA on October 15, 2004. These details shed more light on the DOL
transition plan.

DOL Vision for Uniform Processing Times and National Standards

The October 8, 2004 meeting included a tour of the new Backlog Elimination
Center (BEC) in Philadelphia. The DOL confirmed that the BECs have a new
software system in place to begin processing the backlogged cases. The DOL
shared its vision with AILA; to process all temporary (H2A, H2B) and permanent
labor certification filings at the two national processing centers in Atlanta
and Chicago that report directly to national headquarters. This vision includes
the development of uniform national standards and processes.

Backlog Elimination Centers (BECs)

DOL understands that, before its long-term vision can be accomplished, the
backlog of 310,000 labor certification cases must be addressed. These are the
cases that will be transferred and processed at the BECs in Philadelphia and
Dallas within the next two years. To accomplish this goal, each BEC is staffed
with 35-40 federal employees and approximately 100 contract workers. The
contract workers will provide administrative support and the federal employees
will adjudicate the cases. Recruitment efforts to fill the federal employee
positions included notifying the State Workforce Agencies (SWAs) of the
available positions. Dallas has completed more of its recruitment than
Philadelphia.

Approximately 10,000 cases are in the Philadelphia BEC and contractors are in
the process of entering data on the cases that were transferred from the
Philadelphia Regional Office. Once the data is input, DOL will send Center
Receipt Notification Letters (CRNL), expected to go to the employers having
filed the labor certifications or to the attorneys of record on the cases. These
letters will require response within 45 days to indicate the cases are still
viable. If a response on a case is not received within 45 days it will be closed
by the DOL, which has indicated that there will not be flexibility on this
45-day deadline.

The next batch of cases to be transferred to the BECs will be approximately
20,000 cases from the San Francisco Region (Region VI). The BECs will use a
First-In / First-Out (FIFO) approach to all cases, meaning that the oldest cases
will be processed first. A contractor has been hired specifically to determine
which regions have the oldest cases and how to efficiently transfer these cases
to the BECs. Though FIFO will be used for both RIR and traditional labor
certification cases, they will each have a separate track. This means that an
RIR processed under the FIFO system likely still will be processed faster than a
traditional labor certification processed on a FIFO basis.

PERM / National Processing Centers

If and when PERM is implemented, the Atlanta and Chicago Centers will directly
process cases. These PERM Centers, also referred to as the National Processing
Centers (NPCs), are building an infrastructure for web-based filing. The Chicago
Center is already in the midst of being established. Each Center is in the
process of hiring approximately 50 primarily federal employees. DOL also has a
curriculum prepared to train its new staff. Temporary processing (H2As and H2Bs)
will be migrated to the two NPCs. The transfer is expected to be completed by
the end of the year. DOL still expects the PERM regulation to be published by
the end of 2004, but, as regular MurthyDotCom and MURTHYBULLETIN readers are
aware, there is no guarantee that PERM will now be published.

Until PERM is published, the Atlanta and Chicago Centers will function as
additional BECs. If PERM is not published, an alternate regulation will be
required to eliminate the SWAs' intake of labor certification cases. The Atlanta
and Chicago Centers will function as national processing centers.

New York and San Francisco Regional Offices

The New York and San Francisco Regional Offices will not close until at least
January 2006. These two offices will continue to process permanent labor
certifications until that time. The DOL is working to integrate the computer
systems of all offices into a uniform national software network.

SWAs

The SWAs will finish processing cases that have already been opened for review
and/or recruitment. All other cases will be eventually transferred to one of the
DOL Centers. The DOL said that the Federal Register should have regulatory
activity published regarding the SWAs before the end of the calendar year.

Conclusion

The last two years have brought major changes to the immigration landscape. The
Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) was abolished and replaced by the
USCIS, ICE, and the CBP. Now, the DOL is restructuring its processes. Throughout
these changes, MurthyDotCom and the MURTHYBULLETIN have provided you with useful
information and analysis. We will continue to assess these changes and update
you, our loyal readers.

© 2004 The Law Office of Sheela Murthy, P.C. All Rights Reserved

SOURCE:
http://www.murthy.com

DOL Region 5 Reorganized

In anticipation of the implementation of the DOL transition plan described in
our October 22, 2004 MURTHYBULLETIN article, "DOL Sends Transition Plan to SWAs"
<http://www.murthy.com/news/n_dolsen.html>, available on MurthyDotCom, the U.S.
Department of Labor (DOL) has issued a recent memo to State Workforce Agencies
(SWAs), informing them that the DOL Region 5 (Chicago) has been reorganized.

The plan is to move federal foreign labor certification staff nationwide, into
the newly-created National Processing Centers (NPC) in Atlanta and Chicago by
the end of calendar year 2004. This Memo, issued on October 21, 2004, continues
to refer to the centers in Atlanta and Chicago as PERM centers, which seems to
indicate that the DOL has not yet given on the implementation of PERM. As was
explained in our article cited above covering the Transition Plan, however,
these processing centers will be utilized with or without PERM. They either will
act as PERM processing centers or National Processing Centers, depending upon
the fate of PERM. The Region 5 Reorganization memo also indicates an address for
the Chicago Perm Processing Center, which presumably would become the Chicago
National Processing Center if PERM is not implemented.

We continue to closely monitor the ongoing changes with the DOL and the labor
certification processing procedures to assist you in your planning. We will
inform MurthyDotCom and MURTHYBULLETIN readers as these events unfold and
changes occur.

SOURCE:

Clarification.

From murthy.com bulletin it looks like SWA's are going to transfer files to BEC based on filing date regardless of where they are filed. During this period will there be any processing at Phily DOL? Or they will just keep waiting for their chance to send cases to BEC? Any ideas ?

mvinays said:
DOL Transition Watch: DOL Provides More Insight

We reported in our October 22, 2004 MURTHYBULLETIN on the ongoing transformation
in the process for labor certification adjudication. That article, entitled "DOL
Sends Transition Plan to SWAs" <http://www.murthy.com/news/n_dolsen.html>, is
available on MurthyDotCom. This has raised many questions. We recently received
additional clarification, based on an October 8, 2004 meeting between key staff
members of the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) and members of the American
Immigration Lawyer's Association (AILA). Additional information was also
provided to AILA on October 15, 2004. These details shed more light on the DOL
transition plan.

SOURCE:
looks like this is good news, if I am correct reading this as Philly DOL cases are done first. Is my understanding correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
sm2017 said:
looks like this is good news, if I am correct reading this as Philly DOL cases are done first. Is my understanding correct?

I guess that is the case... Philly DOL cases are apparently going to be processed first. The million dollar question now is WHEN are they going to stop yakking and start working!

Hi Tomshu,

Can you make the call today. I tried but could not get through. The questions are

1. when are the letters going out
2.The exact answer (I suspect BRC still does not know what is going on) on will Philly cases be processed first and how does the FIFO thing plays into it.
3. How does the PERM processing effect us. Does that mean people applying under PERM will get ahaead of us? (Highly unlikely that she would know answer of it).
4. The last one, I suspect she would not know one way or the other but, what is the deal about current processing date regressing.

Thanks in advance,
a

Hi Tomshu / Akela,

Could you also ask what is the basis for FIFO? Is it based on the date received at DOL or priority date. I hope this also matteres.

Thanks in advance,