Philadelphia PA - N-400 Timeline

heantune : No, I was given a paper test with questions and had to write out the answers.

waiting4oath : Where do you find information about scheduled oath ceremonies?

heantune : No, I was given a paper test with questions and had to write out the answers.

Guys found out what the problem is.

I talked to the Philly DO (Immi Officer) .... My case and many others have been approved. Well mine has been approved...... 4 days after the Interview OCT 8th...
But there is a backlog that rippled from last years interview backlog.
They have less staff and resourses to handle the Ceremonys......but have enough for Interviews......
The IO told me that last year, they had made several mistakes sending Oaths letters to people who already had had Oaths and certificates.

You can findoath info by calling office where you had the interview. They can tell you when of the schedule oath will be held. Sometimes, with little more information, they can even tell you whether you are on the next scheduled oath or not. Hope this helps.

Guys found out what the problem is.

I talked to the Philly DO (Immi Officer) .... My case and many others have been approved. Well mine has been approved...... 4 days after the Interview OCT 8th...
But there is a backlog that rippled from last years interview backlog.
They have less staff and resourses to handle the Ceremonys......but have enough for Interviews......
The IO told me that last year, they had made several mistakes sending Oaths letters to people who already had had Oaths and certificates.

Thanks for sharing.

I really hope that's the case. I am really hoping for the January oath. I'm really hoping to get my OL soon!

Citizenship Interview

The interview letter states we should bring the Green Card, Passport (Alien) and selective service registration. Other than these, are we supposed to take with us any other documents? Recent interviewees please shed some light. Both my wife and my self had applied together, though my wife's interview is scheduled a day earlier than me. Is it OK to go together for the interview?
Thank you.

yes, you can go with your wife for the interview. But you have to wait in the waiting room, while she attends the interview. But for the Oath, you can attend with her, (if both of you dont get the same date). Btw, they asked only the GC.

But just to be safe, I had taken 5 years Driving history, speeding tickets payment/receipts(if any) (I did not have any). Also, 5 years Fed tax and state tax returns, drivers license, passport, marriage certificate(if you are married).

Hope that helps.

akapoor

Last edited by a moderator:
The interview letter states we should bring the Green Card, Passport (Alien) and selective service registration. Other than these, are we supposed to take with us any other documents? Recent interviewees please shed some light. Both my wife and my self had applied together, though my wife's interview is scheduled a day earlier than me. Is it OK to go together for the interview?
Thank you.

Depends on your age when you got your GC, you will have to legally prove why You were (or never) not registered for the selective service.

I brought my state id, GC, passport, 2 extra pics, and the interview notice letters. My officer check all those and asked me for if I was registered or not for the selective service. I had my valid reason so it was okay.

yes, you can go with your wife for the interview. But you have to wait in the waiting room, while she attends the interview. But for the Oath, you can attend with her, (if both of you dont get the same date). Btw, they asked only the GC.

But just to be safe, I had taken 5 years Driving history, speeding tickets payment/receipts(if any) (I did not have any). Also, 5 years Fed tax and state tax returns, drivers license, passport, marriage certificate(if you are married).

Hope that helps.

akapoor

Hey Akapoor

Not seen you post in a while.

How was your vacation to India (did you not go on Vacation?)

I had my interview on Oct 8th....still waiting for Oath Letter/ Date.

someone just said you can call them.....but i dont have Philadelphia direct
number. I got the Philly (computer .... that asks you to leave a message).

ucheojo1,

I searched a lot for the Oath details. Here is my 2 cents...

- If there is no name change, Philly does the oath once a week. (I confirmed it with multiple sources, including with the immigration officers during my interview and oath). If you do not get the oath for a while, only thing that can be done is, going for the infopass.

- If there is a name change, you can call the district court about the next scheduled Oath. The contact information is,

Philly District Court - Naturalization/Attorney Admissions - Aida Ayala - 267-299-7099. Please note that she can not tell whether your name is on the list.

Above information is applicable to Philly Residents only.

Good Luck. Hope you get the oath soon.

Sayam

For Philadelphia, I would be interested to see some examples of priority dates where interviews are happening in Jan 09. Then I can have a guess at when my turn might come around :)

Thanks
H

heantune,

My pd was back in April but my interview only occurred this month and I know of a couple of people who filed with me who have interviews scheduled for Jan 09. That said, I think we're beginning to see faster processing at the Philly DO. I just got my OL yesterday, only a couple of weeks after my interview. My guess is that you'll continue to see improvements in processing times into next year and might not have to wait as long as those of us who filed earlier this year.

Finally received the OD for Mid Jan...

Philly DO.
PD: Jan 2007
FP:March 2007
Long Name check...
ID: Sep 2008
OD: Jan 2009

your interview was sept and you got oath date for jan, then I will probably get it for feb? hopefully.. I had my interview on oct... Were you the one who changed the name?

your interview was sept and you got oath date for jan, then I will probably get it for feb? hopefully.. I had my interview on oct... Were you the one who changed the name?

Yes, my ID was Sep BUT Philly office had not received my file from Vermont national processing center when I got interviewed. I believe they received my file in late October or November... So you may get your OD somewhere in Jan too... (No name change with me)

Delay in Oath Ceremonies as we get a new president?

Does anyone know if there is a delay in Oath Ceremonies when a new president comes on board?
I assume there is a lot of new material that has to be made in order to have the new president on all citizenship related material. Is that so?
I have not gone through it, but I imagine that there is some video or presidential signatures somewhere.

The updated material is most likely part of the transition to ensure there are no delays later.

The transition is not the reason of the Philly Oath Delay.....it is there lack of organization........ They have too many people handling the same thing...

They need to get Dover Satellite office handle the N-400 / Oath process for
Delaware Resident. That will give Philly roomto handle other things.

In addition, the lazy judges in Delaware need to pick up the pace....

Oath ceremony experience at Philly on Jan 7, 2009

I had my oath ceremony today (Jan 7, 2009) at Philly. I will share my experience. I live in Philly suburb in PA (Bucks County), and no name change.

My appt was for 11:00am. My wife accompanied me as a guest. We arrived at the building at 10:50am, and there was one long line. Everyone had to stand in line (in the rain!) and we were let in the building one-by-one for security clearance. We waited almost 1 hour in the rain. Not the type of service I expect for $675.

When we finally made it in the building and cleared security, we were led to fourth floor to a big room. About 75 people were being sworn in. I was probably the 60th or so person to enter the room. Immediately I handed in my oath letter and green card to the lady, and signed my naturalization certificate. They didn't ask for anything else.

When they concluded that everyone was present (I'm not sure how they made that decision), they gave a brief intro (they mentioned today's was the first oath ceremony of 2009), and we repeated the pledge, watched a couple of short videos, and they called out each of us to pick up the certificate. That was it. The whole process once it began didn't make more than 30 minutes. We were out by 12:30pm.

They mentioned that there was some passport service kiosk on the first floor that we could use. They said it is faster to do it there as opposed to the post office or passport agency (they didn't really elaborate). Since I didn't have my photos with me and we were in a rush, we just left.

Here are my case details:

PD: May 2008
Fingerprint: June 2008
Interview date: Nov 24, 2008

BTW, my wife's oath is scheduled for Jan 16 (we had interviewed on the same date). We brought her notice and asked if she can be sworn in today, but they said no.