Philadelphia Backlog Elimination Center Tracking

Is PBEC confused or am I being confused?

Hi,

I have a weird situation here. 15 days ago, I sent a mail to PBEC to get a screen shot of my labor application. I got a response back from them that they have received my application and that it is awaiting analysis/review by an analyst. But today, out of the blue, I got another mail from them that they have not received the subject case at PBEC.

Which one to take and which one to ignore? I am confused now. Here are my details:

PD: Sep 12 2002
RD: Aug 2003
45 day letter rec'vd and repl'd: Feb 2005
EB3 RIR CA

Any response in this case is highly appreciated.

Thanks

New Immigration Bill Introduced by Sen. Cornyn

Some excellent provisions for legal immigrants.

http://pubweb.fdbl.com/news1.nsf/9a...87bc9c5e0e20eae085257162006a03c8?OpenDocument

Senate Immigration Subcommittee Chairman John Cornyn introduced the Securing Knowledge, Innovation, and Leadership Act of 2006, or SKIL Act (S. 2691) today. The bill appears to have wide support from the business community. Prior to introduction, Senator Cornyn worked closely with the immigrant and business communities, including the American Council on International Personnel (ACIP) and the Compete America Coalition, to identify and propose the removal of the obstacles U.S. employers face in recruiting and retaining the most qualified workers.

If enacted, the SKIL Act would provide substantial relief to the current backlog and visa shortage that have hindered the recruitment and retention of highly educated and highly skilled professionals from around the world, including those educated at U.S. universities but unable to stay in the U.S. as a result of the visa shortage. Specifically, the SKIL bill would provide the following changes to current law:

1. Increasing the Annual H-1B Quota and Providing Exemptions

* Increases the annual H-1B cap to 115,000 from 65,000, with a 20% increase for the following year if the quota is reached.
* Modifies the existing 20,000 cap exemption to apply to persons holding master's or higher degree from a foreign institution (current law limits eligibility to U.S. institutions), and exempts from the cap persons who have earned a master's or higher degree from a U.S. institution, as well as those who have been awarded "medical specialty certification based on post-doctoral training and experience in the United States."

2. Increasing the Quota and Providing Exemptions for Employment-Based Immigrant Visa Categories

* Increases the annual cap on employment-based visas from 140,000 to 290,000, and allows for the recapture of unused visas from FY 2001 to 2005.
* Exempts from the quota persons who:

o Hold a master's or higher degree from a U.S. institution;
o Were awarded "medical specialty certification based on post-doctoral training and experience in the United States";
o Are spouses or minor children of the principal applicant;
o Hold a master's or higher degree in science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) (from any country) and who have worked in the U.S. for at least three years in a related field;
o Are deemed to have "extraordinary ability" or are eligible for "national interest" waivers as defined in immigration law; or
o Are employed in an occupation that the Department of Labor (DOL) deems to be lacking sufficient "able, willing, qualified and available" U.S. workers.

* Applies "equally qualified" standard for purposes of labor certification to those who received a master's or higher degree from a U.S. institution, or who were awarded "medical specialty certification based on post-doctoral training and experience in the United States." Under current law, employers are typically required to consider all minimally qualified U.S. workers for a position even if less qualified than the foreign national for whom the employer is seeking certification. Under the "equally qualified" standard, only job applicants who are equally or better qualified than the foreign national listed on the labor certification would need to be considered.

3. Relaxes Restriction on Recruitment of U.S.-Educated Talent

* Extends optional practical training from 12 to 24 months.
* Removes the bar on immigrant intent for F-1 students studying at institutions of higher learning or engaging in optional practical training in a STEM field.

4. Streamlines the Visa and Labor Certification Process

* Allows L visa holders to extend the visa beyond the period of authorized stay if there is a pending adjustment application.
* Allows those with approved labor certifications to apply for adjustment of status by paying a $500 fee, even if there is no visa immediately available.
* Permits domestic visa revalidation, meaning that professionals working in the U.S. on nonimmigrant visas would not have to leave the country to renew their visas.

* Requires DOL to process all backlogged applications filed prior to the implementation of the PERM system within 60 days of the bill's enactment.
* Requires the labor agency to respond to prevailing wage determination requests within 20 days, and to respond to employers who submit an acceptable alternative wage survey within 30 days.
* Requires DOL to establish a process to make technical corrections on labor certifications without requiring employers to conduct additional recruitment.
* Requires the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to establish, within 180 days of enactment, a pre-certification process for employers who file multiple visa petitions, and a similar process for premium processing of employment-based immigrant petitions.
* Allows premium processing of employment-based immigrant visa petitions with payment of an additional fee.

Newly joined the group

I have been observing the thread since a while. Here are my details

PD : Nov 11 2002
RD : Sep 19 2003
45 Days Letter Received : Mar 29 2005
State: CA

Last edited by a moderator:
HI Saknia

HI Saknia
the following is the mail I got from PBEC...
any Ida..... whne it will be finished....

This is in response to your inquiry on your pending application for Foreign Labor Employment Certification.

Case Information

ETA Case Number: P-04247XXXX Priority Date: 12/11/2002
Processing Type: RIR Case Source: Region
Employer Name: XXXXX Business Activity: INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
Occupation Title: Programmer Analy Occupation Code: XXXXXX
Rate of Pay: $ 70000 / Yearly Prevailing Wage: $ 57450 / Yearly
Alien Name: XXXX Visa Type: H-1B
Nationality or Citizenship: INDIA
Case Received Date: 09/03/2004 Processing Center: Philadelphia Backlog Elimination Center

U.S. Department of Labor
Division of Foreign Labor Certification
Philadelphia Backlog Elimination Center

Last edited by a moderator:
narayana_pan said:
HI Saknia
the following is the mail I got from PBEC...
any Ida..... whne it will be finished....

This is in response to your inquiry on your pending application for Foreign Labor Employment Certification.

Case Information

ETA Case Number: P-04247XXXX Priority Date: 12/11/2002
Processing Type: RIR Case Source: Region
Employer Name: XXXXX Business Activity: INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
Occupation Title: Programmer Analy Occupation Code: XXXXXX
Rate of Pay: $ 70000 / Yearly Prevailing Wage: $ 57450 / Yearly
Alien Name: XXXX Visa Type: H-1B
Nationality or Citizenship: INDIA
Case Received Date: 09/03/2004 Processing Center: Philadelphia Backlog Elimination Center

U.S. Department of Labor
Division of Foreign Labor Certification
Philadelphia Backlog Elimination Center

Hi

Lat time you mentioned that you had a query and replied in Aug2005. PBEC somehow is keeping the old cases pending while continuing with cases after June 2002. PBEC is picking up speed now and hence you will get approval soon

Hello,
Can you tell me wich mail did you used ??
My suggest is call your lawyer or call the BEC and tell them whats happening.

nanba said:
Hi,

I have a weird situation here. 15 days ago, I sent a mail to PBEC to get a screen shot of my labor application. I got a response back from them that they have received my application and that it is awaiting analysis/review by an analyst. But today, out of the blue, I got another mail from them that they have not received the subject case at PBEC.

Which one to take and which one to ignore? I am confused now. Here are my details:

PD: Sep 12 2002
RD: Aug 2003
45 day letter rec'vd and repl'd: Feb 2005
EB3 RIR CA

Any response in this case is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Message for nyprog-8-27

nyprog-8-27 have you ever requested a screen shot from PBEC ??? If not I think you should do so.

What do you mean "the USCIS doesn’t accept since they only want the qualification to come from one institution i.e. one degree"?
I believe I am in the same situation: 2 year degree + 7 years experience at the time of applying for LC... The requirements on my LC are BS+0.
Why would DOL approve an application (LC) that would be automatically rejected in the following stage (I-140)???

Should I be worried here?? (more than normal I mean... ;) )

For what it's worth, I have asked my lawyer that question a few weeks ago and he didn't seem to think it was a problem...

Vibe said:
This is a true story, though I will refrain myself from giving out intrinsic details regarding my firm & me, because I don’t want people thinking I am promoting anything.
I was on my 8th yr H1B extension, with typical LC pending at the PBEC. Actually, I had my LC approved in the past but my I-140 was rejected by USCIS because the job minimum requirements were Bachelors [4yr] and I had 3yr. Anyway, the LC mentioned that I was eligible because of combination of degree + experience, which the USCIS doesn’t accept since they only want the qualification to come from one institution i.e. one degree.
Nevertheless, the new LC was applied in May 2004 intended for Skilled labor only [since skilled labor requirements are just an Associate degree]. But I just couldn’t take the stress of being in uncertainty and everyday was just another waiting episode.
One day my buddy, XXX [an Caucasian American] informed that he is moving to India, precisely to Gurgaon, with his new born child and wife. It didn’t make any sense to me so I ended up transferring myself to the same office.
Recently, I have seen quite of few jobs specializing in Outsourcing, especially if you have lived in any western culture and have excellent communication skills to bridge the gap.
Now to the real part, there are some minor annoyances living in 3rd world country, its anticipated, but the way the satellite cities are growing, I seldom think you will find much difference. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurgaon you will notice the actual major issues, which I am used to because I lived in Mumbai for most parts.
Anyway, I am NOT saying you should pack your bags and leave, but at the same time try not to be stressed out about this. Its not healthy because I know it has reasonable impact on one’s health.
There are options available, so make sure you don’t make GC as your only option & I am sure you have already done so.
Ironically, I did receive my 45-day letter in March 2006 for the new LC and the firm replied it immediately.
I do desire for a GC but I am glad that I am not sitting inside a vacuum of uncertainty.

peace

-Vibe

I am a newby here

I registered here 4 months ago but didn't have a chance to enjoy with you.
There is my LC info.

MD,
RIR, EB3
PD: 12/27/2004
45 Day Letter Received on 4/21/06

StarSpangledGC:
For USCIS; BS is a 4 yr degree. And they count 3 years of experience towards 1 year of education. Hence you need 6 years of experience for make up for 4 yrs of education; which you have. So, I think you should quality for BS + 0 yrs as stated in your labor requirement. I am not sure if USCIS would like it to be the case at the time of filiing for labor application with DOL.

StarSpangledGC said:
What do you mean "the USCIS doesn’t accept since they only want the qualification to come from one institution i.e. one degree"?
I believe I am in the same situation: 2 year degree + 7 years experience at the time of applying for LC... The requirements on my LC are BS+0.
Why would DOL approve an application (LC) that would be automatically rejected in the following stage (I-140)???

For what it's worth, I have asked my lawyer that question a few weeks ago and he didn't seem to think it was a problem...

Hi

This is a problem and USCIS has a Memo on this. Best thing for you to do in your case (since you are substituting Experience for BS qualifications) is to do a new Educational evaluation which will highlight specifically that your experience of 7 years can go towards or substitute the BS equivalent of US . Otherwise they might raise an RFE on that.

Message to StarSpangledGC.

You've got to read between the lines....i'm referring to the message posted by "vibe". Usage of the term "Caucasian-American", "vacuum of uncertainty", Wiki link to "Gurgaon", ... ... it surely is a loaded message!

Thanks,
v99

Justdoit, you have an entry in the tracker for one of your friend. Do you have a status update or should we consider it outdated ?

Thanks MDWatch

Is PBEC confused or am I being confused?

Choclito said:
Hello,
Can you tell me wich mail did you used ??
My suggest is call your lawyer or call the BEC and tell them whats happening.

Hi Choclito,

I used this address: h1b7yr@phi.dflc.us
Also, I spoke with my lawyer and he says that my extension for 7th yr has been accepted which means that they have my labor application. Perhaps I might not have given adequate information is what he thinks.

Thanks

Newby

I joined in this forum 4 month ago but havn't had a chance to enjoy with you guys. Here is my info.

MD
EB3, RIR
PD: 12/27/2004
45 Days Letter received on 4/21/06

StarSpangledGC said:

I guess I wasn't clear enough in the beginning. There seems to be a big difference on how DOL concieves 4yr equivalent compared to USCIS. So, initially I applied under minimum requirements of Bachelors [4yr] + 2, which the educational evaluators compensated it with 3yr + 4 yrs experience.
That works fine for DOL and in fact if you notice, your H1B is also approved on the same basis.
But, as far as i know, USCIS processes this in a different way. They rejected my application because I didn't have enough educational credentials for the given job requirements. Unfortunately, you CANNOT alter your LC to retrofit the USCIS demands, so the only option left was to start afresh.
If you look at the application form on I-140, the section where we specify in category one would like to apply, EB1, EB2 and so on; one option is either Professional or Skilled.
As per some veteran lawyers, Skilled labor requirements are usually 2 yr degree, where as Professional implies 4 yr.
My new LC was solely intended for Skilled labor with Job minimum requirements set to 2 yr US Associate Degree . The LC was tailored for my Job requirement and education credentials. The only caveat would be that DOL might dissent such applications, though the Lawyers can prove that such a job does exists and the candidate is a perfect fit. But knowing the fact that DOL wants to eliminate the backlog, chances are they might simply accept it.
So, if the evaluation & LC both specify that I have just enough education credentials for the job, USCIS will have no problems since we are not combining any education + experience to make up for one.
Though please understand that I am not a lawyer & it is mostly case by case basis. So please do not come to any conclusion without verfying it with your lawyer. If i were you, I would just clarify with them on how exactly did they draft your evaluation and job requirements.
Please check out the I-140 forums, there are plenty of applicants who fall under this 3yr + experience bucket.

-Vibe

One of my friends said last week that his collegue got his LC cleared a week ago from philly BEC and that his priority date was June 2003.

Can any one confirm ? Did you see any approvals from 2003 lately.

Yahooooooooo...Recd 45 days letters

It seems somebody in PBEC dusted my case... felt sympathy and send 45 days letter...my HR just conveyed that replied 45 days immediately...

:D :D

My suggestion

nanba said:
Hi Choclito,

I used this address: h1b7yr@phi.dflc.us
Also, I spoke with my lawyer and he says that my extension for 7th yr has been accepted which means that they have my labor application. Perhaps I might not have given adequate information is what he thinks.

Thanks

Does not mean to scare you, but please follow this up as much as possible until it is late.

I sent a email to Info@PHI.DFLC.US with just my case number. Thats it. Absolutely no other detail. However, after 45 days they have sent a response saying that "The case has been received and is under consideration .. bla bla bla .. ".

These emails are automated and generated based on some algorithm. In your case, most likely than not, it is an error on their part. But I would be paranoid and would like to dig it out in detail. I don't know how to deal with this situation. However here is what I would do and I would suggest you to do.

1. I would ask lawer to follow up.

2. Send another email to the same address saying " bla bla.. " and wait for the reply to see what comes next.

3. Call them up repeatedly and explain them what happened. Most likely you would get MOTHER F**KER Stefanco's crap, when you call. But sometime you may hit a nice lady who would atleast tell you if your case is still open or not.

Best of Luck.