Philadelphia Backlog Elimination Center Tracking

Hi Gurus

What are your thoughts on following issues:

What is the actual number of visas that are available for EB2 and EB3? about 40,000 each? and how many of these can be used by citizens of one country?

What are the implications of large numbers of H1Bs coming to the USA (as per some reports, about 50% of them coming from India) from 2000 to 2003 (when H1 quota was increased by almost 3 fold) on availability of permanent visa numbers?

Can citizens of countries with current PDs get their labor through PERM and use up permanent visa numbers and thus slowing down advance of retrogressed dates?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here you go

Garfield said:
Hi Gurus

What are your thoughts on following issues:

What is the actual number of visas that are available for EB2 and EB3? about 40,000 each? and how many of these can be used by citizens of one country?

What are the implications of large numbers of H1Bs coming to the USA (as per some reports, about 50% of them coming from India) from 2000 to 2003 (when H1 quota was increased by almost 3 fold) on availability of permanent visa numbers?

Can citizens of countries with current PDs get their labor through PERM and use up permanent visa numbers and thus slowing down advance of retrogressed dates?

This link will give you numbers, everything is there:
http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_2631.html

Having 7% per country limit and 50% people coming from India causes
India to retrogress back to 98 however the rest of the world "only"
back to 2001. You have to keep in mind that if the worker immigrates
with the family of wife and 2 kids, they use up 4 visas. so 350,000
LC means maybe 400,000 or 450,000 EB visas used up.

I have heard you can transform your RIR to PERM without losing your
PD but I am not an expert on this.

DOL philadelphia labor certification backlog process center is too slow

Hi All:
I send the following email to cisombudsman@dhs.gov <cisombudsman@dhs.gov> to complain slowness of philadelphia BEC.
Please send your complain to cisombudsman@dhs.gov
Dear Sir:
I applied my labor certification to Department of Labor on June 11, 2002. I wait for my labor for more than Three years, no result by now. My labor certification was transfered to philadelphia backlog reduction center in Nov 2004, the case is still pending by now. I suffered a lot for the slow and inefficient labor certification process.
Dallas backlog reduction center and philadelphia backlog process center work on the labor certification for more than one year, How many cases they processed?
DOL don't want to give the number, but from our estimation it is less than 20000 case, with total more than 200 persons in two BECs and one year process time, It is average less than 0.5 case per person per day, it is unbelievable slow. Philadelphia BEC is even slower than Dallas BEC, so I suffered more because my case is in philadelphia BEC.
DOL said it will take two to two and half years to finish all the 345000 pending labor certification, it is impossible to achive this goal with such a slow speed. So I encourage DOL labor certification backlog reduction center to speedup to achieve the promise given by DOL which is finish 345000 labor certification case in two to two and half years start from March 28 2005.

That's great

I believe the ombudsman is aware of the situation and we
may send him something that we could all sign. Like one
letter from all of us. I am just afraid he may be a puppet
just to keep us happy, CIS may not worry much about what
he has to say. Reading his report he is aware of our situation.
I guess at this point he is our best chance though.

worriedEngineer said:
Hi All:
I send the following email to cisombudsman@dhs.gov <cisombudsman@dhs.gov> to complain slowness of philadelphia BEC.
Dear Sir:
I applied my labor certification to Department of Labor on June 11, 2002. I wait for my labor for more than Three years, no result by now. My labor certification was transfered to philadelphia backlog reduction center in Nov 2004, the case is still pending by now. I suffered a lot for the slow and inefficient labor certification process.
Dallas backlog reduction center and philadelphia backlog process center work on the labor certification for more than one year, How many cases they processed?
DOL don't want to give the number, but from our estimation it is less than 20000 case, with total more than 200 persons in two BECs and one year process time, It is average less than 0.5 case per person per day, it is unbelievable slow. Philadelphia BEC is even slower than Dallas BEC, so I suffered more because my case is in philadelphia BEC.
DOL said it will take two to two and half years to finish all the 345000 pending labor certification, it is impossible to achive this goal with such a slow speed. So I encourage DOL labor certification backlog reduction center to speedup to achieve the promise given by DOL which is finish 345000 labor certification case in two to two and half years start from March 28 2005.

Issue with priority date

Gurus,

Sometime back i sent an email to get my case status to H1B7YR, I got my screenshot with details. Most of the things looked fine except the priority date. My case was filed in Jan 2003, and it was transferred to PBEC from NJ SWA on Jan 14th 2005.

The priority date and case received date both show up as 14th Jan 2005, where as my priority date should be 14th Jan 2003. I am not sure if its a typo or something they are assigning to the T cases.

I was assigned a T case id.

I talked to my lawyer, he told me that he will take up the issue with PBEC after he gets the 45 day letter and things are still messed up at that time.

Anybody had similar issues. Please share your views.

worriedEngineer said:
Hi All:
Dear Sir:

This guy can't do anything for you. The BECs are part of the Department of Labor. If you want to complain you should write to the Office of the Inspector General for the DOL: http://www.oig.dol.gov/

Hello Friends

Hello Friends,

Just will like to share some good news i got my 45 day letter after say arround 4 years.

I don't know how long will it take to get the approval, i hope soon.

Best Regards

saburi said:
Hello Friends,

Just will like to share some good news i got my 45 day letter after say arround 4 years.

I don't know how long will it take to get the approval, i hope soon.

Best Regards

Great news Saburi !!! Congratulations :) Can you post your info in the tracker thread ? Thanks

MD Watch

MDwatch said:
Great news Saburi !!! Congratulations :) Can you post your info in the tracker thread ? Thanks

As i mentioned the info is applied the labor in dec 2001 and have recd the 45 day letter now in 2005.

Was just going to the news and saw that the visa number for the EB3 catagory which i am is cut off for 1998 for indians and so the answer to my question seems to be can not apply for the 485 stage.

please advice if can throw some light on this.

best regards

MDwatch said:
Well you should still apply for the I-140. Then you will be ready to apply for I-485 as soon as the retrogression reaches your date. Now that you cleared the Labor Cert, get the I-140. This will allow you to keep your PD in case your employer fires you before you can file for 485.

I am not sure if this is correct. 45 days letter is not a labor certification. This is only a notification from PBEC to verfiy from your employer if they want to continue with the application. I don't think you can file your I-140/I-485.

Lets join techworkers@yahoogroups.com

They are mainly focusing on retrogression but I suggested to bring the BECs problem on the table as well. Let's unite and fight together we them.

ANYONE WHO HAS BEEN WORKING IN US FOR AT LEAST 4 YEARS SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO PETITION THEMSELVES! The hell with this crappy process and the hell with BEC!

techworkers@yahoogroups.com

I believe this is the time! The group is gaining momentum...

The situation of retrogression, particularly for India and China is really worst. Use following simple maths.

As per DOL 340,000+ applicationas are pending in BECs, which will be approved in 2 to 3 years (Hope so).

If 60% of them are form India and China then that number comes to 204,000.

Let us say 200,000 of them are valid and approved.

Now, let us say each applicant has 2.5 (in average) members in family. So, total visa numbers required is 500,000.

Now, currently, 140,000 EB visas available per year in total. As per per country quota limit, 14% for India+China, the number of visas available for these two countries per year will be 19,600. This includes all categories of EB1+EB2+EB3.

So, to clear 500,000 visas, with 19,600 per year, it will take roughly 25 years.

How many of you are willing to wait for 25 years?

The only solution to this problem is to act by Congress and provide one time relief in visa numbers, by providing hugh EB visa numbers, without any country restrictions to clear this backlog.

Any idea from Gurus/lawyers?

MDwaiter24 said:
This link will give you numbers, everything is there:
http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_2631.html

Having 7% per country limit and 50% people coming from India causes
India to retrogress back to 98 however the rest of the world "only"
back to 2001. You have to keep in mind that if the worker immigrates
with the family of wife and 2 kids, they use up 4 visas. so 350,000
LC means maybe 400,000 or 450,000 EB visas used up.

I have heard you can transform your RIR to PERM without losing your
PD but I am not an expert on this.

SlipperyGC said:
They are mainly focusing on retrogression but I suggested to bring the BECs problem on the table as well. Let's unite and fight together we them.

ANYONE WHO HAS BEEN WORKING IN US FOR AT LEAST 4 YEARS SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO PETITION THEMSELVES! The hell with this crappy process and the hell with BEC!

techworkers@yahoogroups.com

I believe this is the time! The group is gaining momentum...

immigrationportal server can't take the load of interest generated by visa retrogression, so anyway its good idea to switch to Yahoo groups for awareness effort.

The problem with techworkers group is that it is solely concerned with retrogression but I think visa number doesn't matter till we have labor cleared ( My previous post ). So our main goal is to do something about BEC and not visa number.

I have listed out contact information in awareness thread (in my signature)

Saburi,

Cases like yours highlight the predicament of BEC which has finally sent you the 45 day letter after a wait of 4 freaking years whereas DBEC is sending out approval letters for April 2003. This is one of the reason why USCIS has retrogressed the 485 dates to '98 for EB3 and '99 for EB2 so that folks like you can get in the queue as follow a strict FIFO as per PD.

My best guess will be that you can expect your labor to be cleared by Oct. and then wait until next year when you can file 485. My assumption is that there should be a big jump in the 485 dates from '98 to 2001 as there are hardly any cases left in 98-00 who have their LC's not cleared yet.

This is mere speculation so guys please don't bombard me on my thoughts.. :rolleyes:

saburi said:
As i mentioned the info is applied the labor in dec 2001 and have recd the 45 day letter now in 2005.

Was just going to the news and saw that the visa number for the EB3 catagory which i am is cut off for 1998 for indians and so the answer to my question seems to be can not apply for the 485 stage.

please advice if can throw some light on this.

best regards

Immigrants and Timing

You know how immigrants used to post their messge a few years back.

Around 5 yrs back
Good news guys. LC cleared in 1 month and got my GC in less than a year.

3 Years Back
Good news guys. LC cleared in 3 months ang got my GC in less than 1.5 yrs

2 Years back
Good news guys. LC cleared in 6 months and i got my GC in 2 yrs.

1 Year Back
Good news guys. After 3 yrs of waiting my LC cleared at state level and moved to region.

6 months back
Good news guys. My LC petition moved to one of the two BEC's. Eagerly waiting for 45 days letter.

As of today
Want to share a good news. I got my 45 days letter today after 4 years. (read user saburi's post today. he got his letter after 4 yrs)

6 months from now.
Good news. Just heard from my lawyer. My case has been entered into the BEC system partially. I got my T-Number. Eagerly waiting for full entry and P or D number. Great news guys after 5 yrs.

1 year from now.
Good news guys. Just heard from my lawyer. My case has been fully entered and just got my P or D number. I am so happy.

2 Yrs from now.
Goood news to share with you. I just got my 45 days letter less than 4 yrs. I am so excited. I haven't seen the 45 days letter. I'll update more once i get to see the letter.

3 years from now.
Guys. Just heard from my lawyer. My LC has been approved in less than 8 yrs. We haven't received the hard copy yet. BEC assured that the hard copy will be mailed in less than a year. Wow i am so happy today.

4 years from now
Great news guys. I just received my LC(hard copy) after 10 yrs.

5 Yrs from now
Great news guys. My lawyer just confirmed that i am eligible to apply for a GC. I am planning to file for my LC very soon.

Its going to go like this for ever until every immigrant leave this country to protect his/her own dignity. Until than we have to face this Modern Slavery. :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
amdavad said:
The situation of retrogression, particularly for India and China is really worst. Use following simple maths.

As per DOL 340,000+ applicationas are pending in BECs, which will be approved in 2 to 3 years (Hope so).

If 60% of them are form India and China then that number comes to 204,000.

Let us say 200,000 of them are valid and approved.

Now, let us say each applicant has 2.5 (in average) members in family. So, total visa numbers required is 500,000.

Now, currently, 140,000 EB visas available per year in total. As per per country quota limit, 14% for India+China, the number of visas available for these two countries per year will be 19,600. This includes all categories of EB1+EB2+EB3.

So, to clear 500,000 visas, with 19,600 per year, it will take roughly 25 years.

How many of you are willing to wait for 25 years?

The only solution to this problem is to act by Congress and provide one time relief in visa numbers, by providing hugh EB visa numbers, without any country restrictions to clear this backlog.

Any idea from Gurus/lawyers?

yep, it's totally crazy .. I think what we should fight for is:

- ability to file 485 regardless of the cutoff date: it doesn't matter if it takes 5 years or whatever, but I should be able to file and it would be processed when the cutoff reaches my PD;

once we file for 485, we can change employers, etc, so that's the key for us at this point ... of course, AFTER we clear the labor, but that's a whole different story ...

cantstandit said:
yep, it's totally crazy .. I think what we should fight for is:

- ability to file 485 regardless of the cutoff date: it doesn't matter if it takes 5 years or whatever, but I should be able to file and it would be processed when the cutoff reaches my PD;

once we file for 485, we can change employers, etc, so that's the key for us at this point ... of course, AFTER we clear the labor, but that's a whole different story ...

Was not there report from DOL which suggested that 60-70% cases are not valid at DOL/BEC ?If you take this factor, 5 years would be a realislic number.

Approved from PBEC

Finally I got the news I have been waiting for so long. But now it has made me even more depressed because its not of much use now. My labor was approved today.

Details

RIR - EB3 - MD
PD: 04/24/2002
RD: 09/2004
Approved by PBEC: 09/19/2005
Case Number: P-04289-2xxxx

Congratulations.I guess, you can still file for 485 and get your EID before Sept 30th. Also, Cna you provide us your state of filing, EB Category and DOT code. Mine is March 2002, EB2 and filed from California. I am still waiting for mine.

mjossan said:
Finally I got the news I have been waiting for so long. But now it has made me even more depressed because its not of much use now. My labor was approved today.

Details

RIR - EB3 - MD
PD: 04/24/2002
RD: 09/2004
Approved by PBEC: 09/19/2005
Case Number: P-04289-2xxxx