Philadelphia Backlog Elimination Center Tracking

h-1b 7year extension

Can any of you confirm the following is true:

To get the sever years extension, we must meet one of the two conditions,
(1) LC is filed and pending for over one year. H1-B can be extended for 1 year. We can get H1-B extended 3 times.
or
(2) LC is approved and I140 is filed over one year. H1-B can be unlimitedly extended.

That is a problem for some of us if that is true. For example, your 6 year h1-b expires on 12/31/006, if somehow your LC gets approved some time the first half of next year, then you won't meet condition (1) becuase your LC is approved or (2) because your I140 is filed less than one year. So can not file h1-b extension. :(

Is this true????????????????????

ode said:

(1) LC is filed and pending for over one year. H1-B can be extended for 1 year. We can get H1-B extended 3 times.
or
(2) LC is approved and I140 is filed over one year. H1-B can be unlimitedly extended.

That is a problem for some of us if that is true. For example, your 6 year h1-b expires on 12/31/006, if somehow your LC gets approved some time the first half of next year, then you won't meet condition (1) becuase your LC is approved or (2) because your I140 is filed less than one year. So can not file h1-b extension. :(

Say Thanks to AC-21
If you have pending I-140 then you will get three years extension.

ode said:

or

If you have LC pending more than one year (and filed one year before 6th year expiration). H1B can be extended by 1 year increment indefinite number of times.

If you have I140 pending or LC pending more than one year. H1B can be extended by 1 year increment indefinite number of times.

If you have I140 approved H1B can be extended one time (one time for life) by 3 years.

Generaly only one time in your life (no more extensions after that)
In case of I140 approved the second extension is possible in some exceptions for example if there is retrogration.

See attachement

thanks a bunch for quick reply. Got a little relieved now.

sfmars said:
If you have LC pending more than one year (and filed one year before 6th year expiration). H1B can be extended by 1 year increment indefinite number of times.

If you have I140 pending or LC pending more than one year. H1B can be extended by 1 year increment indefinite number of times.

If you have I140 approved H1B can be extended one time (one time for life) by 3 years.

In case of I140 approved the second extension is possible in some exceptions for example if there is retrogration.

See attachement

can u tell me how the 45 day letter was sent
i am applied in 9/2002 and i have not received 45 days letter i have received ETA case # only

I always thought that Indians & Chinese in the US were not a healthy population - way too much fatty food (delicious tho') combined with a lack of exercise...

GCVeteran said:
However since US already has a healthy population of Indians and Chinese already

Hope this clarifies.

GCVeteran said:
I came to US in 1994 as Student. Got my first labor approved in 1999, got my second labor approved in 2001 both times changed jobs on my own. Now Stuck in PBEC with a PD of 12/02.

When US congress introduced Employment immigration in 1960, congress wanted to control the diversification of immigrant population. For example all Indian IT companies hire only Indians. Thats why they introduced the VISA retrogression dates.

VISA dates work off of a formula. In 1999 congress found that there was a flaw in the formula as it was showing VISA's unavilable though they were available. Congress halted the implementation of the formula and ordered DOS to come up with a new formula. DOS gave a grant to a professor of MIT to come up with a new formula.

The MIT professor came up with the new formula in 2003. BEC's have all the cases certified. They just have to send out the certification letters. But they are waiting for the DOS to implement the new formula.

This is a double edged sword. It does good by not allowing PERM people to get ahead of the line. However since US already has a healthy population of Indians and Chinese already, it will take a lot longer for these country dates to move forward. 28% for EB1 (maybe 5% will be for Indians), trust me Indians use up all these numbers. Similarly for EB2 and EB3. These VISA numbers are not transferable across countries.

Hope this clarifies.

GCVeteran, I am sharing your pain. I also came to this "dream" country in 1994. I am feeling that the dream has become a nightmare. I applied NIW and was denied due to a judge's rule on an applicant from NY state transportation department. People applied two weeks before me were approved. I don't believe my credential was not as good as a lot others, but when you ask those at INS to evaluate your academic achievement, you know what the answer can be. The old Philly regional almost came to my RD and it stopped to set up the now infamous BEC. I also abandoned my Canadian PR (more than 3 years outside of Canada) due to the expectation of being able to file for concurrent I140/I485 soon. Now, I could not see an end of the this. I am hoping to arrange going out of the country for a year for a try to work at home country. I am not sure how that is going to work. Anyway, I am lost.

Trapinsys said:
Hi folks,
I am quite new to posting here but a longterm user of this site.
In my office 3 people get approved from PBEC,their details r:

1. May 3 2001, filed from MD, went to regional than got 45 day letter in Jan 4, 2004 replied back within 2 days,got certified on Aug. 8.

2. & 3 both applied in march 2002,went to regional,than got 45 day letter on Jan 6 2004, replied back with 2-3 days ,got approval on August 13.

All three cases r EB-2 RIR.
did you mean 45 day letters in Jan 2005 and not 2004?

MD cases anyone from SESA to directly to PBEC or DBEC? My PD with MD state is May 31st 2002. No 45 day letter. No updates. Did not contact PBEC or DBEC? Any pointers will be very helpful for sending e-mails to PBEC/DBEC.

Thans in advance.

I ahad posted a similar question yesterday and got almost similar responses.. But everyone is writing that even if LC is approved then 140 shud be pending for more than 365 days, which will not be the case as posted in question to which this answer was given.. imagine PD of sometime 2002 lc approved last month, 140 filed this month, but current h1 7th year extension ending frb 2006- then it wud be lc approved and 140 pending for 6 months-what then?? can a proper h1 extension be obtained.
and as for when 140 is approved- u can get 3 year incremental approvals, i don't think those 3 year increments are just once in ur lifetime, u can get it as many times as regquired (ideally if 140 is approved then it really shudn't take more than 3 years to get EAD but u never know with the things are going!)

sfmars said:

See attachement

Request to Screen shot for H1 B 7th yr extension

Hello Folks,

Can any one tell me the procedure how to request a screen shot for H1 B 7th year extension along with e mail id

Thanks
Mukka

Last edited by a moderator:
everything_gud said:
I ahad posted a similar question yesterday and got almost similar responses.. But everyone is writing that even if LC is approved then 140 shud be pending for more than 365 days, which will not be the case as posted in question to which this answer was given.. imagine PD of sometime 2002 lc approved last month, 140 filed this month, but current h1 7th year extension ending frb 2006- then it wud be lc approved and 140 pending for 6 months-what then?? can a proper h1 extension be obtained.
and as for when 140 is approved- u can get 3 year incremental approvals, i don't think those 3 year increments are just once in ur lifetime, u can get it as many times as regquired (ideally if 140 is approved then it really shudn't take more than 3 years to get EAD but u never know with the things are going!)
Please correct me if I am wrong..

If your labor is approved and your 140 has been filed(I am still skeptical about the part where 140 has to be pending for more than 365 days-anyone care to comment on this) I think it would be possible for you to get the 7th Year extension based upon the approved LC.

I think you just need to have I140 Pending (no requirement for 365 days etc.), and based upon this fact you could continue to request extensions of 3 years until I140 is approved. This is my understanding from AC21 memo.

GCVARUMA said:
Please correct me if I am wrong..

If your labor is approved and your 140 has been filed(I am still skeptical about the part where 140 has to be pending for more than 365 days-anyone care to comment on this) I think it would be possible for you to get the 7th Year extension based upon the approved LC.

some approvals from other thread ...

Hi folks,
I am quite new to posting here but a longterm user of this site.
In my office 3 people get approved from PBEC,their details r:

1. May 3 2001, filed from MD, went to regional than got 45 day letter in Jan 4, 2004 replied back within 2 days,got certified on Aug. 8.

2. & 3 both applied in march 2002,went to regional,than got 45 day letter on Jan 6 2004, replied back with 2-3 days ,got approval on August 13.

All three cases r EB-2 RIR.

GCkiTalash said:
I think you just need to have I140 Pending (no requirement for 365 days etc.), and based upon this fact you could continue to request extensions of 3 years until I140 is approved. This is my understanding from AC21 memo.
This has been discussed several times.
Only if Labor & I140 is approved and you are waiting due to retrogression - you can get 3 yr extension. You dont get 3 yr extension based on pending I140.

Here's the Q/A from Rajiv's Memo released 9/14/2005 (You can find this memo attached by GC_FROM_NJ on page 406)

Q. Can you explain how retrogression relates to extensions beyond 6 years for H-1?

A. Yes. H-1 extensions beyond 6 years are available under two circumstances:

First, indefinite H-1 extensions in one-year increments can be obtained, if the I-140 (or I-485) was filed and the green card process was started a year ago. The GC process is started for: - Labor Certification based cases (including PERM) the date for the begining of the countdown is the date when the labor certification is officially received: - for PRE PERM cases - by the local office (SWA); and - for PERM cases - the date it is received by the DOL; and -EB-1 and National Interest Waiver cases; when the I-140 is officially filed with CIS.

Second, if your I-140 has been approved but you cannot file I-485 because your priority date has retrogressed, you can get H-1 extensions (most probably) in chunks of three years each time.

propose that Congress amend INA § 245(a)(3)

please pass this proposal to all concerned friends.

The October 2005 Visa Bulletin Warrants An Amendment to INA 245(a)(3)
by Dinesh Shenoy

The October 2005 Visa Bulletin recently released [1] comes as a shock to every employment-based immigrant. Given the even further retrogressions on this Bulletin over the June 2005 bulletin (and ignoring for the moment the three months of temporary skilled/professional EB-3 unavailability across the board), Congress should consider repealing or amending INA § 245(a)(3) with respect to employment-based immigrants.

INA 245(a)(3) says that an I-485 application cannot be filed unless "an immigrant visa number is immediately available to [the worker] at the time his [or her] application is filed."

The appearance of cut-off dates for Indian and Chinese EB-1 and EB-2 workers plus across-the-board cut-offs for EB-3 aliens of all countries means that it might now be several more years before workers in these categories can file an I-485 application.

That there are cut-off dates on Visa Bulletins[2] is not in itself something to complain too much about; cut-off dates are a function of the fact that America does not have unlimited immigration. The need for cut-off dates in deciding who gets a green card this month (and who has to wait) is the result of the natural operation of the numerical limit created by INA § 201(d) (total 140,000 EB visa numbers per fiscal year). In the family arena, cut-off dates and slow forward movement is an accepted fact of life. However, the fact that the Employment-Based chart has gone from showing "current" visa number availability for the past 3+ years (June 2001 to December 2004) to now suddenly having severely backlogged cut-off dates appear in the span of less than one year is not "natural" (compare the December 2004 Bulletin to the upcoming October 2005 Bulletin).

Instead, this sudden retrogression is the result of USCIS' backlog of employment-based I-485s being allowed to build up for several years during which approvals of such 485s ground to a near halt, followed by the much-anticipated (and welcome) backlog elimination plan. [3] It's great that USCIS is now suddenly cranking out I-485 approvals. Getting all these 485 approvals recently feels really good, but too much of a good thing is . . . well, not good. The long dry-spell of 485 approvals followed by the recent flood of 485 approvals is what is causing these extreme cut-off dates to suddenly appear with little warning. [4] If for the past four-to-five years employment-based I-485s were approved at a steady rate, we would have had Visa Bulletins with always some amount of backlog. But it would have been a less severe backlog coming all at once; there would have been a more orderly advancement of the cut-off dates. Suddenly an EB-3 Russian Software Engineer, who a few months ago could anticipate being able to file a concurrent 140/485 any day now once his "in process" pending PERM Labor Cert is approved, now with little warning faces waiting another 3-4 years before being able to file his I-485.

And the inability to file a 485 sooner rather than later is not mere inconvenience. It's more than H-4 spouses and children being delayed several years on being able to finally get a Social Security Number (which requires an EAD card first). It means that the protection for the whole family against lay-off available under the "portability" rule contained in INA § 204(j) remains out of reach. If you have an I-140 approved as an EB-3 petition but you are facing a wait of several years to even file a 485, you are in precarious position. Even if your savvy immigration lawyer assures you that you can get a special 3-year extension of H-1B status beyond your 6-year limit under the as-of-yet-not-often-invoked AC21 § 104(c) (with memos and liaison notes he's just itching to use for your H-1B extension), that doesn't quell your worries.

For instance, when you are in year-8 of H-1B status and still have not filed your I-485 and then your company downsizes and lays you off, that's it, that's the end of the line. You burned up all your H-1B time in hopes you could get your 485 filed before your job was eliminated. If you had filed your 485 like your friend in the next cube over from you who just happened to have his PERM Labor Cert approved a few weeks ago (while yours is still "in process"), your friend who was able to get his I-485 in before the EB-3 category backlogged into the Stone Age, you'd be able to port like he is going to once he finds another job. But you didn't get your I-485 filed and so now you will be going back home, maybe never to return.

I appreciate the enormous task that faces USCIS to adjudicate millions of benefits applications ever year. I think that Congress appreciated this as well when it passed AC21. The whole point of the "I-140 portability provision" (INA § 204(j)) was to acknowledge that it took too long for employment-based 485s to be approved and that foreign workers should not lose their ability to get a green card if they were going to be able to go on and fill another position in the same industry and make the same contribution to the economy and society generally. But portability never even comes into play if you never get to file your I-485 in the first place.

Therefore, I propose that Congress amend INA § 245(a)(3) to add the following underlined language so that the provision reads as follows:

" ... and (3) except in the case of an alien who is the beneficiary of a petition filed under paragraphs (1), (2) or (3) of section 1153(b) of this title, an immigrant visa is immediately available to him at the time his application is filed."
With this revised language, an I-140 beneficiary would be able to file his or her I-485 once an I-140 is filed [5], even if they know it will be many years before their priority date is reached. They would still have to wait for their turn to actually receive Permanent Residence in priority-date order.[6] But the situation would be more akin to that of asylees at the time when there was a cap on asylee adjustments.[7] Congress still gets to keep a limit on how many aliens actually got Permanent Residence based on employment, but in the meantime aliens who had demonstrated they had the right qualifications to be in the United States and are not taking a job away from a minimally qualified US worker will have more stability, greater peace of mind and will be able to get important interim benefits for derivatives while they wait for their priority date to be reached.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1Available online at http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/b...letin_1360.html
2 INA § 203(e)(3); 8 USC § 1153(e)(3).
3 See "USCIS Announces Backlog Elimination Update", News Release dated March 22, 2005. Available online at http://uscis.gov/graphics/aboutus/r...ies/backlog.htm USCIS noted that the overall backlog of all immigration benefits applications (including I-485 applications for Permanent Residence) had reached a high of 3.8 million in January 2004, and that the backlog was reduced to 1.5 million by September 30, 2004.
4The December 2004 Visa Bulletin stated "In recent months [DOS has] been experiencing very heavy applicant demand in the Employment categories as the Citizenship and Immigration Service has begun to address their backlog of [I-485] cases." In the January 2005 Visa Bulletin, DOS offered a more detailed explanation of the reason for re-establishing EB cut-off dates and predicting future unavailability, citing a combination of the effect of the "recapture" provisions in AC21 and the development of the I-485 backlog at USCIS. Subsequent Bulletins up to the present time have repeatedly cited the continuing heavy demand of visa numbers due to USCIS clearing up its I-485 backlog. See footnote 1, supra.
5 This proposed amendment to the Act would supercede (and require the rewriting of) 8 CFR § 245.1(g)(1) & § 245.2(a)(2)(i)(A), which together are commonly referred to as the "concurrent filing rule."
6 I.e., this amendment would in no way change the basic rule of fairness in INA § 203(e)(1) that family-based and employment-based immigrant visas "shall be issued . . . in the order in which a petition in (sic) behalf of each such immigrant is filed with [DHS.]"
7 See INA § 209(b); 8 USC § 1159(b) (2004), recently amended by § 101(g) of the REAL ID Act of 2005, Pub. L. No. 109-13, 119 Stat. 231 (eliminating the 10,000 cap on asylee adjustments per fiscal year).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About The Author

Dinesh Shenoy is an associate attorney with Ingber & Aronson PA in Minneapolis, practicing exclusively in the field of immigration law with an emphasis on employment-based cases, family-based cases and advising criminal defense counsel on the immigration consequences of crimes. He has chaired a 3-part teleconference on Adjustment of Status for ILW.com and has published articles for the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) on the "concurrent filing rule", H-1B extensions of status under the American Competitiveness in the 21st Century Act ("AC21"), and H-1Bs for Business Professionals. In 2003 he won the AILA Mentor Award for "Outstanding Efforts and Excellent Counsel to Immigration Attorneys By Providing Mentoring Assistance." He has spoken on employment-based immigration at the AILA Annual Conferences in 2003, 2004, and 2005 and spoke about the "Child Status Protection Act" on a nationwide teleconference shortly after the CSPA was enacted, as well as numerous presentations to general audiences in Minnesota. He served on AILA's 2004-05 Liaison Committee to the Nebraska Service Center (NSC) of the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

The following has been posted in www.immigration-law.com.

It says " X number of cases completed partial data entry (These cases cannot generate 45 day letters until full data entry.)". It also say 100k yet to complete partial data entry .If one has a T- number, does it mean data partially entered ?

Latest News of DOL Backlog Processing Centers Processing

* AILA has reported that it had received information from the DOL on September 12, 2005 concerning the status of the backlog processing at the Dallas and Philadelphia Processing Centers. The report draws a picture of the following not-too-promising statistics:
o Total Pending Backlog Cases: 345,000 (pending at Dallas & Philadelphia) + X number of cases (pending at San Francisco + New York Satellite Centers) = ? They did not disclose how many cases still remain at the two satellite centers. There is no report on the status of processing of the cases at the two satellite centers. One may assume that total number of pending backlog cases may record much larger than 350,000.
o Record of Processing at Dallas + Philadelphia (345,000):
+ 100,000 cases yet to complete "partial data entry." (Without "full" data entry, no 45 day letters are generated)
+ X number of cases completed partial data entry (These cases cannot generate 45 day letters until full data entry.)
+ Y number of cases completed full data entry (generated 45 day letters)
* The report failed to make public the statistics of the total number of cases adjudicated and the total number of cases which completed a full data entry and generated 45 day letters. As for the total number of cases adjudicated, it just stated "tens" of thousands of cases. Tens of thousands of cases range from 10,000 to 99,000 out of 345,000+ cases. If it meant 10,000, the number is indeed a tip of a huge iceberg (345,000+). We also have no idea of what "adjudication" meant. The immigration practitioners have reported some approvals of cases without even 45 day letters being generated and the pattern of approval cases reflects that they were not processed in the First In First Out order. In a way, it may be taken as a good news in that if they should stick to the FIFO processing rules, they would not be able to process any cases until the unopened box cases and the pending cases complete the full data entries. However, it may be taken as an arbitrary processing of cases when it comes to the issue of fairness and other rules of administrative process.
* Timeline: We have no information when the partial data entry or full data entry will be completed and when the 45 day letters will be sent out to the applicants for the pending cases. It just stated that in the next few months, data entries will be completed and 45 day letters will be sent out. Now we are approaching the end of the calendar year and the holiday seasons. Currently, two satellite centers are scheduled to shut down in early January 2006. All in all, adjudication of these large number of pending cases is not too promising when it comes to the timeline.
* For those later filers in the row, it would not mean much as the early certified labor certification applications will lead them to nowhere because of the visa number backlog of from five to seven years for the Indians and Chinese. However, for the earlier filers in the row or in the pipeline, the delay in the labor certification at the Backlog Processing Centers adds a terrible pain on top of the visa number backlogs. Believe it or not, out of the three fed agencies that deal with the immigration business (USCIS, DOS, DOL), the USCIS will become our hero in terms of processing times and DOS and DOL are likely to remain devils to the immigrants for quite a while. In the U.S. immigration history, the immigration services have never received such a "welcome" treatment. The USCIS should thank to Bush, DOS, and DOL. What you know!

Case Status = Final Review

atlanta,vvpva,afx05,Beam,driveto,mvrgopaal,nkindia,attwist,jiangnan,whatheheck,rsiv,tickticktick

Any new updates on your case status? Please keep us all posted.

Thanks

AwardMyGC

RJ_NJ2002 said:
The following has been posted in www.immigration-law.com.

It says " X number of cases completed partial data entry (These cases cannot generate 45 day letters until full data entry.)". It also say 100k yet to complete partial data entry .If one has a T- number, does it mean data partially entered ?

yes, you're correct.