Philadelphia Backlog Elimination Center Tracking

IllinoisGC said:
Sure - I can help in packing the proposal in a good form ( as presentation or protoype or a demo) btw, I'm a front end guy

Cheers!!

Are you referring to the website or Imaging/OCR capabilities

To move on this..

May have to do the following:

1. Making a proposal to BEC (per BEC latest update they are still exploring – so this should make sense)
2. Members who got ideas to crack this (don’t expect BEC will provide any info or resources) have to work on further with some assumptions
3. Collect all members ideas and make a proposal with alternate plans ( should positively create an interest to BEC to give more specifics)
4. If they like it – we need to plan the rest

So the critical at this moment is to create a high level diagram or proposal that should give some open ideas/create interest to BEC (most likely they may look for ideas than depend on us ;) )

I’m serious this should work – if not we’ll end up working on a mystery project? What you guys think – at least this is a good cause and we’ll have stakes

JustWatching said:
Are you referring to the website or Imaging/OCR capabilities

IllinoisGC said:

1. Making a proposal to BEC (per BEC latest update they are still exploring – so this should make sense)
2. Members who got ideas to crack this (don’t expect BEC will provide any info or resources) have to work on further with some assumptions
3. Collect all members ideas and make a proposal with alternate plans ( should positively create an interest to BEC to give more specifics)

So the critical at this moment is to create a high level diagram or proposal that should give some open ideas/create interest to BEC (most likely they may look for ideas than depend on us ;) )

I’m serious this should work – if not we’ll end up working on a mystery project? What you guys think – at least this is a good cause and we’ll have stakes

Should we propose this directly to DOL or the contractor (Exceed Corporation)? I would think the contractor gets paid by DOL to maintain the case status checking system.

IllinoisGC said:

I think it would be essential to get input from a sympathetic attorney or two -- or even the AILA -- who are familiar with how the DOL and BPC work.

I imagine DOL would be hesitant to get help from the applicants themselves, so the project must be presented carefully.

But I think it's worth a try-- at least it might draw in some needed publicity.

Caution

IllinoisGC said:

If this works out, it would be great ;) . Just that, people whoever pulls this off, are on H1 need to be careful. H1B does not allow for the holder to work other then his/her employer. I don’t know how the rule works for voluntary work (no hours charged).

mvinays said:
Should we propose this directly to DOL or the contractor (Exceed Corporation)? I would think the contractor gets paid by DOL to maintain the case status checking system.

I actually think we should propose to three groups - DOL, Team Exceed (the processing contractor) and TATC (the management contractor)

I have also now contacted an imaging/OCR company that provides these services onsite to see if I can get cost from them. This would be the fastest way to get this going. I'll keep you posted as soon as I find something out.

May be better to DOL..

The contractor works per the DOL instructions and would make sense to propose to the owner than Exceed Corporation (will be an indirect track and we won't get the attention required)

Since DOL answers seemed direct to the stake holders (interestingly very much the answers seemed to be for this kind of forum questions) - would be better to deal directly with DOL?

What others think?

mvinays said:

Guys, not to insult anyone, but it is funny to read all this. Some of you who are proposing all this seem to be serious. I guess you have no idea how federal govt works, and especially their huge ethics department. Talk to a federal employee and hear what he/she has to say.

mvinays said:

We know looks funny but if we don't do..

We end up being where we are..

I was serious coz the tone in today’s BEC FAQ update sounded defensive in finding ways to provide tracking or status check

One of my favorite quote -
I've found that luck is quite predictable. If you want more luck, take more chances. Be more active. Show up more often.
-Brian Tracy

PS: we don’t have to talk to any federal employee (no different than any other govt. employee around the world) but the policy makers or decision makers if at all they are serious, our inputs should hit some thing..

Garfield said:
Guys, not to insult anyone, but it is funny to read all this. Some of you who are proposing all this seem to be serious. I guess you have no idea how federal govt works, and especially their huge ethics department. Talk to a federal employee and hear what he/she has to say.

Last edited by a moderator:
we could do this as an open src project, once we get permissoin and requirements, just set up a subversion repository and we can all access to the code. Of course we will have tight controls on what goes in. And since this becomes voluntary kinda work no problems with h1b.

H1-B1 can be self-employed(open his own company)

GCCovet said:
If this works out, it would be great ;) . Just that, people whoever pulls this off, are on H1 need to be careful. H1B does not allow for the holder to work other then his/her employer. I don’t know how the rule works for voluntary work (no hours charged).

The biggest thing right now is what we propose..

The proposal should have -what it takes Or how its should be done to make the process faster and can be tracked. At this moment what we need is a high level process diagram

JustWatching started an initiative to collect how the current process works – any piece of info/input would help and don’t worry about making it a “IT” project at this moment..

PS: Good see the peoples participation and welcome others criticism as we need both..

Days_go_by said:
we could do this as an open src project, once we get permissoin and requirements, just set up a subversion repository and we can all access to the code. Of course we will have tight controls on what goes in. And since this becomes voluntary kinda work no problems with h1b.

Garfield said:

guys,

just be realistic for a second. u r dealing with a governement where bureaucracy is the boss. so do u think that DOL will even look at ur proposal of doing for them website or whatever?

at the end it is a government agency and they have their own cirlces and channels and we can't interfere unfortunately in their work even if it is for free. so forget about this idea bcs i'm sure it will go nowhere.

Quick question

Okay, we’ll be realistic for a sec – we all know (who ever interested in this idea) if at all this doesn’t work – absolutely fine! (if not some acknowledge or not will turn some heads to this crowd and and no sensible country will afford to loose such crowd) – we all know what a small change in the pace of BEC means

Common guys/gals – this is not an easy task (except ruling out the idea). Its challenging (its provoking also – that’s why we see more criticism here) and a real positive way to show what we can think (lot better than the commenting that BEC is ridicules, illogical etc) and a creative way out for your frustration

Appreciate any ideas or insight or criticism about the proposed ideas/solution rather than criticize the initiative (comments like “this initiate takes no where” dadada..)

Excuse me for a lengthier explanation – but in short – welcome any ideas Or let us know what we loose

antonioa77 said:
guys,

just be realistic for a second. u r dealing with a governement where bureaucracy is the boss. so do u think that DOL will even look at ur proposal of doing for them website or whatever?

at the end it is a government agency and they have their own cirlces and channels and we can't interfere unfortunately in their work even if it is for free. so forget about this idea bcs i'm sure it will go nowhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chao's Address

mvinays said:
Can anybody please post the full letter from Secretary Chao? (You can hide your personal info for privacy).

Also, can someone please post the address for Mr. Chao as to where we should send the letter to.

One thing that caught my attention in this latest FAQ by BEC is the answer to the question about change in company ownership.

My company was acquired by a bigger public company in 11/2001. My labor was filed in 07/2002 under the old company name. At that time we were operating as a wholly-owned subsidiary of the new owners. Now we are completely under the new owners and the old company does not exist any more.

My 45-day letter has been replied to now and hopefully BEC will process my application soon. I want to know what would happen if BEC approves the application under the old company before the new ETA 750A&B reaches DOL. How would that affect the filing of I-140/I-485?

Any guidance would be appreciated as I am pretty nervous now.

Thanks.

sick_of_waiting said:
One thing that caught my attention in this latest FAQ by BEC is the answer to the question about change in company ownership.

My company was acquired by a bigger public company in 11/2001. My labor was filed in 07/2002 under the old company name. At that time we were operating as a wholly-owned subsidiary of the new owners. Now we are completely under the new owners and the old company does not exist any more.

My 45-day letter has been replied to now and hopefully BEC will process my application soon. I want to know what would happen if BEC approves the application under the old company before the new ETA 750A&B reaches DOL. How would that affect the filing of I-140/I-485?

Any guidance would be appreciated as I am pretty nervous now.

Thanks.

Don't worry. You will be fine. All your attorney need to do is to attach docs proving merger / name change at time of I-140 filing