Philadelphia Backlog Elimination Center Tracking

March Hearing Set On Immigration Reform Bill

The U.S. Senate will take up an immigration reform bill on March 27, officials said Thursday.

Senator Majority Leader Bill Frist offered the time frame to Texas Senator John Cornyn and several other key lawmakers involved in the immigration debate.

Among the group were Arizona Senators John McCain and Jon Kyl, as well as Pennsylvania Senator Arlen Specter, who chairs the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Cornyn says the Senate is likely to include a guest worker plan in its legislation, but whether it includes a path to legal residency will be hashed out in committee.

Cornyn chairs the Senate Judiciary subcommittee on immigration.

http://www.kwtx.com/news/features/6/2422581.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: Senate Judiciary Committee Debates Chairman Specter's Proposal
03/03/2006

On March 2, 2006, the Senate Judiciary Committee conducted its first in a series of three or more Executive Business Meetings ("mark-ups") on Chairman Arlen Specter's immigration reform package. As we reported earlier this week, the proposed legislation represents a compromise of the various proposals that Senators have introduced, along with some of Chairman Specter's own ideas. Please refer to the March 1 alert for a description of this proposal.

Chairman Specter opened the meeting yesterday with a conciliatory comment that his bill was a starting point, and that he welcomed suggestions for changes. While the Chairman hopes to reach consensus, he also acknowledged that the Committee "may have some issues where we will have to vote and the majority will rule." Generally, the Senators fall into three categories:

1) Those who want to see a direct path to permanent residence for undocumented workers.
2) Those who want a temporary guest worker plan without a path to permanent residence.
3) Those who oppose any form of visa, temporary or permanent, until the country has control over border and interior enforcement.

At the meeting, Senators who have introduced legislation on immigration reform addressed the merits of their respective proposals. Senator Ted Kennedy (D-MA), who cosponsored a bill with Senator John McCain (R-AZ), S. 1033, opined that the Chairman's package would not resolve the immigration issue unless it has an "earned adjustment" component. Senators John Cornyn (R-TX) and Jon Kyl (R-AZ), who cosponsored their own guest worker bill, S. 1438, said that the Chairman's mark was a good starting point and that a flexible guest worker program was needed to reflect our economy. Both also emphasized the need for stronger border and interior enforcement.

Senator Diane Feinstein (D-CA) revealed her plan, which has yet to be introduced, to create a pilot program that would provide "blue cards" for temporary agricultural workers. The "blue cards" would be valid for three years. At the end of the three years, Congress would re-evaluate the program. Lastly, Senator Chuck Grassley (R-IA) expressed his objection to the current L-visa program, stating that the program has been used by employers to circumvent the H-1B requirements.

The Senators on the Judiciary Committee circulated over 30 amendments during the evening of March 1; however none of the amendments were debated yesterday. The amendments include proposals to increase the penalties against employers for hiring undocumented workers, increasing the fee for the guest worker visa application from $500 to $1,000, removing the barriers between governmental agencies regarding sharing social security mismatches, and disallowing tax deductions for wages paid to undocumented workers. There is also an amendment to bar citizenship to children born in the U.S. to nonimmigrant visa holders or anyone else who does not have U.S. citizenship or permanent resident status, as well as an amendment to deny admission to nationals whose home countries do not accept their nationals who would be subject to deportation from the United States. Given some of the statements made yesterday, more amendments are expected by next week's mark-up.

The Committee adjourned after only about two hours of discussion and debate. Chairman Specter said that he would reserve next Thursday, March 9, and possibly Wednesday, March 8, for the continuation of the mark-up. A mark-up session is already on the Committee's calendar for March 16. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist has set a deadline of March 27 to bring the immigration debate onto the Senate Floor. Because the House of Representatives passed its immigration "enforcement only" bill late last year, if the Senate cannot reach a consensus on comprehensive reform and a guest worker plan, it is likely to take action on some immigration reform measure, whether comprehensive or enforcement only, before the November election.

http://pubweb.fdbl.com/news1.nsf/9a...b05582b07b3f07ec85257126005a5392?OpenDocument

The FAQ thread is lost. Does anyone remeber what does case status of RIR means?

Does it mean that the 45 day letter has been rcvd and acknowledged. What are the other steps/status till it gets finally posted.

Thanks,
Akela

akela said:
The FAQ thread is lost. Does anyone remeber what does case status of RIR means?

Does it mean that the 45 day letter has been rcvd and acknowledged. What are the other steps/status till it gets finally posted.

Thanks,
Akela

RIR Means Review of Recruitment by an Officer.

saknia said:
I am not sure where did you come up with RIR defination.

To me it is, reduction of recuritment from the very beginning unless its defination recently being changed.

labordrags said:
I am not sure where did you come up with RIR defination.

To me it is, reduction of recuritment from the very beginning unless its defination recently being changed.

You are talking about Case Type RIR which means Reduction in recuitment.

Case Status RIR means that the officer is in the process of doing Recuritment ( if it is Regular) or checking Recruitment done if it is RIR case.

Weird

saknia said:
I have been in this stage since August of last year. Does this mean that my case has not proceeded after that.

PD July 2002
State CA
PBEC id number : P-04308-33XXX
RIR EB2

Last edited by a moderator:
saknia said:
Case Status RIR means that the officer is in the process of doing Recuritment ( if it is Regular) or checking Recruitment done if it is RIR case.

And exactly how do you know that? Do you have an inside source?

As far as I remember, Status field used to be more informative than that (like, "Data Entry" or "Final Processing"), but was then dumbed, courtesy of those... irresponsible people sending status requests every day.

Guys,
I have this screen shot from last August (2005). The reason I am asking is I am seeing lots of case closed. I believe Case Status = RIR was after they had received your 45 day letter. Before rcpt of 45 day letter status is Data review. Is this correct.

The other two steps after RIR was final review and approved. Is this true.

All this was in the FAQ thread, that has vanished somewhere. What do you guys rememer.

TIA
Akela

akela said:
Guys,
I have this screen shot from last August (2005). The reason I am asking is I am seeing lots of case closed. I believe Case Status = RIR was after they had received your 45 day letter. Before rcpt of 45 day letter status is Data review. Is this correct.

All this was in the FAQ thread, that has vanished somewhere. What do you guys rememer.

TIA
Akela

Screen shot will not guarantee that! PBEC's process has matured beyond comprehension!
JustWatching had his file closed inspite of a screen shot... see this post: http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showpost.php?p=1362522&postcount=10987

Folks,

I need your help. I requested DOL screen shot about 6 months ago from PBEC with PD 10/2004 (Florida). The case status field shown as "Incomplete"

Today I sent email again to DOL for screen shot, The screen shot sent by DOL is missing the case status field. All other fields are there. Is anyone in the same boat as me?

Do I need to be concerned? My attorney/company never received the 45 days letter from DOL.

The off late incidents of case closures is scaring the death out of me..!!

how do we know that our 45 day reply has reached them...?? And here we r sincerely waiting for some news about the approval and not be with the surprise package from PBEC after 7 months they come back saying the case is being closed cos they dint hear from us...!! that can be the worst nightmare one can have...

I think seriously big time we need to ask for some transparency with the database with our details...How about drafting a letter to Ms. Chao and mailing one...!!

saro28 said:
Folks,

I need your help. I requested DOL screen shot about 6 months ago from PBEC with PD 10/2004 (Florida). The case status field shown as "Incomplete"

Today I sent email again to DOL for screen shot, The screen shot sent by DOL is missing the case status field. All other fields are there. Is anyone in the same boat as me?

Do I need to be concerned? My attorney/company never received the 45 days letter from DOL.
That PBEC thing and the nincompoof who work there have removed the status field since last quarter of 2005.

So we have no means to know where we stand.

akela said:
Guys,

TIA
Akela
After RIR it used to show "Final Review" and the "Certified"

Report to local news

bigbang2001 said:
After RIR it used to show "Final Review" and the "Certified"

I think we can bring this on local channels like on nbc10.com,cbs3.com by posting it on their website. I request everyone to go to local news channel website and report PBEC inefficiency as your story and how we are being exploited i.e. http://www.nbc10.com/News/1431717/detail.html, If all of us can report this on their website they may show it on TV. We may be able to get the well deserved attention. :rolleyes:

need help !

hey guys, now it's my time to ask fo help ... I'm tired of my employer, so if your company does consulting in Siebel/CRM and needs people, can you give me a shout ?

I'm more on the technical side, working with systems integration, etc.

and you can make the referral fee ! :)

PM me or email me at inv777a-reg at yahoo ... you know the drill.

thanks

is Apr 2004 NY RIR APPROVAL REAL?????

Labor_fight

is april 2004 NY RIR approval real.. what a lucky person he must be..
HE IS BLESSED. :)

-
EB2 RIR NY OCT2002

There is also an amendment to bar citizenship to children born in the U.S. to nonimmigrant visa holders or anyone else who does not have U.S. citizenship or permanent resident status, as well as an amendment to deny admission to nationals whose home countries do not accept their nationals who would be subject to deportation from the United States

What do you say about this??