Petition / Follow up / More activities

Why Rupnet is not co-operating ?

I think it is due to jealousy. I think it is same with Murthy.com also. Most of these websites do not want to publish a link to our petition because they think that it will popularize this website (www.immigration.com). Is there anything we can do to influence those websites to publish the link to our petition ?

Originally posted by vijayrc
Request to rupnet to email all its 485 registerers did not happen.
That's a big blow..Can few of you email rup@rupnet.com or post suggestions on that site...It would bring in more attention, rather than the single mail/post of mine..! This way the petition comes more 'visible' to a wider crowd..!

Vijayrc,
I already sent couple of mails to Rupnet.com but no response. I contacted about 444 Immigration attorneys and Immigrant support organization but received about 5 responses only. All these people want to make money out of US but no have the intention to help us except few like Mr.Rajiv Khanna we should really appreciate his help.
You would have seen that I created various threads and requested everyone to contact their Attorneys but only few would have done that.

Vijayrc and Dsatish, why don't you guys also request everyone to approach their attorney and organization like Rupnet. Don't feel bad to start your own new threads for this request at VSC, NSC, CSC and TSC forums then only lot of members might understand our request.

Originally posted by Edison
Check this out:
http://www.visalaw.com/03sep2/7sep203.html

Greg Siskind as promised mentioned about our petition in the News bytes section of Siskind's Immigration Bulletin dated September 9,2003

EDISON,

We can find additional free web based hosts for the Petition and post it there also in parallel.
Maybe this could take the jealousy/competitive factor out of the equation. Just run a search on PETITION.

Re: Why Rupnet is not co-operating ?

Originally posted by dsatish
I think it is due to jealousy. I think it is same with Murthy.com also. Most of these websites do not want to publish a link to our petition because they think that it will popularize this website (www.immigration.com). Is there anything we can do to influence those websites to publish the link to our petition ?

I asked one of famous attorney in the weekly Monday chat about how to represent I-485 backlog issue to BCIS (Petittion to BCIS or Petition to Politicians or Media or Class action law suit). But that attorney evaded that question, I expected that.

We don't have friends among immigration community then how can we find some friends at BCIS or Congress to lobby for us.

Yesterday, I asked the same question to one immigration attorney but he replied that BCIS is aware of that and are also working on that , He gave some few examples that New York office didn't schedule any interview to reduce the other backlogs. He was in favor of multiple year EAD and AP to solve this backlog problem easily. Since BCIS is also studying this multiple year EAD and AP, we might be able to sell this idea.

Originally posted by cinta
EDISON,

We can find additional free web based hosts for the Petition and post it there also in parallel.
Maybe this could take the jealousy/competitive factor out of the equation. Just run a search on PETITION.

Sulekha.com is my first choice if you guys agree then I'll request them to post it there today.

Our Mistake

Hi Edison,
I guess the main reason why other lawyers are not co-operating, is plain jealousy or business competetiveness. They don't want to ask their clients to go and visit Rajiv Khanna's site (even for just signing a petition). Had we hosted this petition on a neutral site (like sulekha.com or samachar.com), then we would have definitely gathered thousands of signatures. The problem with us is we are not an organised group and we don't have any fund. I agree that there are 3 or 4 committed people here (including us), but that's not the best way. To really achieve big things, we need to have a defined committee(group), defined agenda, defined leader, fund etc. That's the reason, i was stressing on these issues all along. Once we have these things in place, we can take up everything successfully. If you agree, then i will dedicate today for building (defining) the core team.

Sulekha.com is my first choice if you guys agree then I'll request them to post it there today.

Edison,

Here are some more links. We could use all of them if need be. Once this is done we can communicate with lawyers again.

http://www.webpetitions.com/
http://www.petitiononline.com/petition.html

http://www.petitionpetition.com/

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/242059413?ts=1063288495&sign[partner_userID]=489860019&sign[memberID]=489860019&sign[partnerID]=1

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/archived_petitions/120049092.html

If we want to go this route, then the "ImmigrationPortal" maybe need to be removed. This is just my opinion and the reality of American Immigration Lawyer attitudes.
Again, we should emphasise Rajiv's continuous help and advice. So le us discuss whether the petition is posted "AS IS" or slightly modified for a more general acceptance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Goals

I accept that we are not organized group and we don't have funds to fight for our main cause,Immigration backlog. If we try to establish an organization and collect funds, it might not help us immediately, it takes time. It's very difficult to form an organization since most of our people are just reactive to the situation rather than being proactive. Also we have to understand our own limitations. I'm sure we can't take our issue beyond certain level. I'm sure that we cannot lobby with BCIS or Congress, why go that far, we can't even take our issue to media. We need very strong organization to support our issue and they have to represent us. So our main goal should be "approach a prominent Immigrant support organization to represent our issues". As a first step to this effort I approached National Immigration forum on behalf of Immigrationportal.com I-485 applicants.

Cinta,
I would like to caution everyone before we post our petition in other sites. Let's not post our petitions in sites where American citizens hang around, it might backfire on us. Let's target ethnic groups. Sulekha.com for Indians. Let's find something for Chinese and Latinos. We should be very careful in our approach. I don't want our own petition to turn against us. For example see the comments of American citizens supporting immigration reduction bills at aila.org or FAIR(see my prior posts). American citizens feel that immigration was at peak during last two decades in American history so now they want to close the door for immigrants.

Let's handle this issue very carefully.

ISN Strategy

There was a question, "Does anyone know how the previous effort by ISN was carried out?"

I think I can throw some light on that.

I am one of the members of ISN, and I was also one of the board members of ISN.

It was a very strategic effort and the major efforts of the success of ISN can be summarized in the following points:

- Dedicated people. I think this is the most important aspect for success to any organization. (as Murali has mentioned in his mail response at: http://boards.immigrationportal.com...ght=www.isn.org

- Organized efforts. Since the words got spread out, and we had volunteers, we identified different areas, created committees. e.g. Media, Financial

- We hired a strategist in Washington D.C. This gentleman is a political strategist, and getting to all the congressman, senators to agree to pass bill like AC21 was not a small task, so we paid quite a handsome fee, but we can see that we all are benefiting
from AC21.

I can say that the small effort started by Mr. Khanna, and helped by edison and others can definitely get us positive results. Of course, the scenario in 99 was totally different than the current one, however, with a strategic effort, it is possible.

All the best,

Re: Re: Why Rupnet is not co-operating ?

I asked one of famous attorney in the weekly Monday chat about how to represent I-485 backlog issue to BCIS (Petittion to BCIS or Petition to Politicians or Media or Class action law suit). But that attorney evaded that question, I expected that.

We don't have friends among immigration community then how can we find some friends at BCIS or Congress to lobby for us.

Yesterday, I asked the same question to one immigration attorney but he replied that BCIS is aware of that and are also working on that , He gave some few examples that New York office didn't schedule any interview to reduce the other backlogs. He was in favor of multiple year EAD and AP to solve this backlog problem easily. Since BCIS is also studying this multiple year EAD and AP, we might be able to sell this idea.

Edison, NAME the lawyers if you wish.

From visalaw? Senators urge BCIS to keep IIOs. Done by AILA also. Congress/Senate can really put pressure in appropriations and in political pressure.

The multiple year EAD & AP or a combination of both into one does not solve our problem nor the backlog. It just perpetuates it until none of us have any job anymore.

I think we can send to Congress/Senate first, before the BCIS officials.

Re: Re: Re: Why Rupnet is not co-operating ?

Originally posted by cinta
Edison, NAME the lawyers if you wish.

From visalaw? Senators urge BCIS to keep IIOs. Done by AILA also. Congress/Senate can really put pressure in appropriations and in political pressure.

The multiple year EAD & AP or a combination of both into one does not solve our problem nor the backlog. It just perpetuates it until none of us have any job anymore.

I don't think it is appropriate to name the attorney. But I'll give one more clue about the Monday chat with attorney. Recently that Monday chat created sensation in this forum for AC21 interpretation.

Yesterday chat was with ilw attorney, I didn't pay attention to the name of that New York attorney.

Propaganda

I send the link of the petition to my Attorney and also to a bunch of friends who recently got GC and others who are in line to sign and support.
Although I have not verified their signature, I am sure they will sign. but I am not sure if my attorney will take any step towards it. I could cite the same reason as discussed earlier - lack of confidence in retaining clients or exposing existing clients to compitetors...

Lobby is good, and for that we need funding. Not sure what would be the response in this community itself if we take a poll if anyone contribute... and if so upto howmuch.

Re: Our Mistake

Originally posted by dsatish
Hi Edison,
I guess the main reason why other lawyers are not co-operating, is plain jealousy or business competetiveness. They don't want to ask their clients to go and visit Rajiv Khanna's site (even for just signing a petition). Had we hosted this petition on a neutral site (like sulekha.com or samachar.com), then we would have definitely gathered thousands of signatures. The problem with us is we are not an organised group and we don't have any fund. I agree that there are 3 or 4 committed people here (including us), but that's not the best way. To really achieve big things, we need to have a defined committee(group), defined agenda, defined leader, fund etc. That's the reason, i was stressing on these issues all along. Once we have these things in place, we can take up everything successfully. If you agree, then i will dedicate today for building (defining) the core team.
Edison,
Due to urgencies at work, i could not really spend time on team building initiative. I will try if i can spare some time for this tomorrow. As i told you guys, i will be slowly moving out of these initiatives by next week. Hopefully you guys will carry on these efforts and we will see some positive results. We should try to follow the tips given by ISN member "immi007" .

ISN mentioned about our petition in their announcement section:

Immigration.com: Petition to address Backlogs in I-485 Processing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The petition to address the I-485 backlogs is accessible via the link below.

-ISN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the complete story, please go to:

http://www.immigration.com/common/rsk/petition_I485.html

http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0903/091103a1.htm - Courtesy Cinta for providing this useful article

Excerpt:
Recent protests by lawmakers and an array of interest groups have not changed the Homeland Security Department’s plans to put immigration services jobs up for competition within the next 10 months, according to a department spokesman.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If BCIS, I'm sorry, USCIS doesn't listen to legislators let us publicize that through Media and let everyone know the facts then we have to put them infront of judicial system then they will follow the laws.

American Citizens really doesn't know the problem with this Immigration and Citizenship services department to make them understand the problem All driver license renewals has to be transferred to USCIS then they will understand our situation.