PC after CP.........

Originally posted by cannon576
Is it necessary to go to the SSA office to get SSN card for me and my wife, even if we have selected 'yes' to receive new cards in DS 230 forms?

I have read conflicting reports on this. Eventhough all would
have answered 'yes' to these questions, some have received
the SS cards automatically and some haven't.

In my case, I waited for about 3 weeks and then personally
went to the SS office and re-applied. Then I got them in about
10 days.

If it is not too difficult, I would advise you to go and apply.

Raju

POE Atlanta
DOE Nov 13
welcome letters: nov 25, 26 and 28
plastic card: nov 28 (wife), dec 1 (self)
SSN: waiting..might go to SSA office to apply

POE : Newark
DOE : Nov 9th 2003.

Still no welcome letters, SS cards or PC. Is anyone else in the same boat.

POE Nov 2nd 2003 houston
SS recieved Nov 5th 2003
Welcome letter Nov 6th 2003 & Nov 14th
PC Nov 19th 2003
thanks

POE & PC

Somebody told me that the pace of receiving the pastic card depends on the port of the entry, is this true? do you know to what service center SJC (san jose airport) is associated with and whether this service center is fast or not?

thanks,
syriano

syriano:

to the best of my knowledge there is no established trend around POE and time taken to receive the physical GC. Although immigration officials say it can take upto 6 months, if you research this site you will realize that people are getting physical GC within 6 weeks..averaging 4 weeks!

cannon:

In my case although i had selected yes to the SSA quesion in ds230 part ii, when i completed my fingerprinting @POE the immig officer told me to go to SSA office and apply for a new SSN card which we did on 12/1/ and received the new SSN card on 12/8.

My understanding of that SSN related question was that if one selects yes then SSA office reserves it for you else every ten years unused SSN's (basically's SSN's of deceased, permanent residents who surrender GC, H-1B who ultimately do not get GC and have to go back to their home country without reenetering usa for 10+ years) are recycled.

So if you have not gone, i would advice you to got to the ssn office...plan to spend 1 hour in the line!

Re: POE & PC

Originally posted by syriano
Somebody told me that the pace of receiving the pastic card depends on the port of the entry, is this true? do you know to what service center SJC (san jose airport) is associated with and whether this service center is fast or not?

thanks,
syriano

This would fall under the California Service Center.

Are you sure your international flight is landing in San Jose and
that is your POE?

My, and several other's experience with California Service Center
is, you normally get your card in about 4 weeks.

Raju

Raju:

my interview is in Montreal so I will be flying back from MOntreal to San Jose, however I have to change a flight in Chicago or DC so would San Jose still be my POE?

thanks,
syriano

POE is the first place of entry into usa. So if you are flying Montreal-Chicago/ DC-San Jose then your POE will be Chicago/ DC (your first POE into USA)

Raju and Kd:

I believe you are right but in the case of Canada and Mexico the immigration post is located in Canada/Mexico so I wonder if the POE will be considered over there.

syriano