passport timeline thread ?

Shribuy said:
I took my passport applicaiton to the post office today.

The lady charged me $127 for expedited, $30 for processing and just a $14 for the return express mail. She said that they pay for the express mail going *to* the INS. That seemed weird to me and I kept asking her, but she had the envelope and said that was all I needed to pay.

Does this sound right to you guys?

Also, she said expedited is 2-4 weeks. That just seems way too long... I need to travel in 2.5 week and so paid extra.

Any info would be much appreciated.

I had same experience - I did not even think about it! I applied in the local library (there was an acceptance facility). And the postage I paid is for the passport to be delivered from Passport Agency to my address, not the other way. I think processing fee of 30$ includes delivering your paperwork to the passport agency (in my case - federal building on Wilshire blvd in Los Angeles) and then they will send everything back in pre-paid envelope...

I applied last week, Friday 18th of August. Still waiting...

Passport timeline

I applied my passport on July 24 and received it on 8/21. The passport issue date was Aug 17.

I was not able to utilize the online application status from the Dept of State web page. I entered my personal information but yielded no report/status. :confused:

By early August, I checked my checking account and noticed that the "check" has been "cleared" by Dept of State. :)

Thank you!
CW2001
My timeline:
Mailed N400 - 01/27/06
PD - 01/30/06
FP notice received - 02/10/06
FP - 02/23/06
IL notice received - 05/25/06 (notice data is 05/19/06)
ID - 07/18/06 (2pm) passed interivew
Oath - 07/19/06 in Merrifield, VA

I applied for my passport at the post office on 8/7/06. My check for $67 was cashed by Dept of State a week later. It took two weeks from application date at the post office before I could track processing status online. When I check the status online I get this message:

"When you applied, you requested Routine Service and Routine Delivery of your passport. Passport Agencies use Priority Mail.

This means you should receive your passport within 6 weeks from the date you applied. Depending upon how the facility where you applied forwarded your application, you should receive your passport on or about 09/24/2006."

6 weeks from the date I applied would be Sept 18th. Why are they giving me a date of Sept. 24th which is 7 weeks from when I applied? How accurate is the specific date that they give? I'm hoping they overestimate their dates a little bit.

It would be nice to have the passport when I cross the Canadian border on Sept 20th even though I have a Birth Certificate and Driver's License that will work.

hi guys!!i have my oath taking ceremony on the 7th of sept. and i need to travel within the next 12-18 days after my oath taking. i would like to know since i do not know much about this,
1.how do i get to expidite my passport?where do i go n what do i need to get my passport expedited

2. after getting my pp expidited, how long would i have to wait before i get my passport. i live in chicago illinois.

i hope that one of u guys can really help me out. im really stressing out so pls help!id greatly appreciate it =)

Can I apply elsewhere

If I get my naturalization certificate, can I apply elsewhere say Washining DC
to get urgent passport on the same day???

Some of the placeis just too long to issue passport that is why I am asking.
(Also this provides flexibility for my travel)

Second question is, if so, do I need get a driver license in the area I would like to apply the passport.

Thanks

jazper28 said:
hi guys!!i have my oath taking ceremony on the 7th of sept. and i need to travel within the next 12-18 days after my oath taking. i would like to know since i do not know much about this,
1.how do i get to expidite my passport?where do i go n what do i need to get my passport expedited

2. after getting my pp expidited, how long would i have to wait before i get my passport. i live in chicago illinois.

i hope that one of u guys can really help me out. im really stressing out so pls help!id greatly appreciate it =)

Right after your oath you can go across the street and apply for a passport (18th floor) I cannot recollect the building name, but its adjacent to the loop postoffice.
Since you are travelling within 2 weeks I strongly recommend you obtain your passport expedited same day. You will need to show your airline ticket or proof of travel/urgency. You might want to verify if same day is possible in Chicago. You can come fully prepared with photos, identification, proof of urgency, check book etc and a pre-filled and printed form from travel.gov

If you take option 2 - expedited service, normal processing time less than or equal to 2 weeks.

Shribuy said:
DKS,

Thanks - that's a relief to hear :)

Are you able to track your application on the website?
http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/status/status_2567.html

Also, going by this thread, it takes about 10 days to get it - which means you may get it on Monday or Tuesday.

Please do keep us updated!

Thanks.

You were right, Shribuy!
Although I do not have the passport in my hands, I know that USPS already made an attempt to deliver the package at my house - I missed them by minutes! But oh, well! I will get it either tonight or tomorrow by just going to the postal annex where they load their carriers and get it there.
So my time line was :
08/18/2006 application filed right after the ceremony at local library
08/28/2006 passport sent by the agency (from South Carolina!)
08/29/2006 passport is with the USPS carrier...
11 days.

Bulls-Fan said:
Right after your oath you can go across the street and apply for a passport (18th floor) I cannot recollect the building name, but its adjacent to the loop postoffice.
Since you are travelling within 2 weeks I strongly recommend you obtain your passport expedited same day. You will need to show your airline ticket or proof of travel/urgency. You might want to verify if same day is possible in Chicago. You can come fully prepared with photos, identification, proof of urgency, check book etc and a pre-filled and printed form from travel.gov

If you take option 2 - expedited service, normal processing time less than or equal to 2 weeks.

is there neway i can apply for a passport from dc?even if im in chicago. from wat i know they give passports the same day. can i just apply from them through phone or something? n have them mail my pp?

They have to have the original naturalization certificate. So you either need to take it in yourself or you need to mail it.

Unless you can bend the laws of physics to get them the original over the phone, that's not possible.

Folks,

Question for you. When I submitted my application last week, I was supposed to travel internationally this weekend and I put that on my application.

My plans have now changed - my international trip is cancelled and instead I am traveling within the US. Should I call them and let them know about the change to the application?

I think you are required to swear under oath etc. right? So, want to be in the clear.