passport timeline thread ?

Updating Timeline

Check cashed by US Dept of State on 7/19/06. Online status shows to expect passport in 6 weeks on or before 8/22/06.

Hi All,
My citizenship journey came to an end today and I become a US Citizen. I applied for the passport by using expedited service and been told it will take 2-3 week.
Hereunder my time line approximately:
PD 01/18/06
FP 03/23/06
ID 05/04/06 - stuck in name check. Had an info pass appointment after 45 days and been told my file cleared and some how they missed sending me the Oath letter.
OD 07/20/06 journey is over.
Passport applied 07/20/06

I have a question regarding the aliens number of the passport application which the USPS employee insisted that I need to fill this field and I told her that field is not applicable to me since I am already a US citizen however she insisted and I put my x-green card number. What is your call on that? Please let me know. Thanks.
I wish every body best of luck and thank you for all of your support.
sams68

Sams68 said:
I have a question regarding the aliens number of the passport application which the USPS employee insisted that I need to fill this field and I told her that field is not applicable to me since I am already a US citizen however she insisted and I put my x-green card number. What is your call on that? Please let me know. Thanks.
I wish every body best of luck and thank you for all of your support.
sams68

It is of no harm if its entered. I did enter it in my application, as I saw it as one more field waiting to be filled in.

Please see couple of my posts & a kind reply just a few posts below... I did call the toll free number, and was told that it did not apply to US Citizens (even for those Naturalized... yes, I asked) It is probably for US Nationals from Marshall Islands etc who are not citizens. Look at the passport form signature blurb, it says in brackets - non US Citizens. My thought, dont trip an automated system to require a human intervention.

Sams68 said:
Hi All,

I have a question regarding the aliens number of the passport application which the USPS employee insisted that I need to fill this field and I told her that field is not applicable to me since I am already a US citizen however she insisted and I put my x-green card number. What is your call on that? Please let me know.

sams68

An update on passport status.
My online status showed that I should have received it on July 19th. But, I hadnt receivedt it yet this morning (July 21st). So, I called them up, and they gave me a FEDEX tracking number. It seemed to have a wrong address. So, I went to the Fedex office where it was held up and collected it.
The sad part is, printing mistakes where all over the place. They had my mailing address wrong and last name wrong in their attempt to mail it to me. When I looked at the passport, they had my middle name in it wrong. So, I have to send it back again to have it corrected.
Fortunately, the Naturalization certificate has all the correct information.

help4all said:
Please see couple of my posts & a kind reply just a few posts below... I did call the toll free number, and was told that it did not apply to US Citizens (even for those Naturalized... yes, I asked) It is probably for US Nationals from Marshall Islands etc who are not citizens. Look at the passport form signature blurb, it says in brackets - non US Citizens. My thought, dont trip an automated system to require a human intervention.

I believe the alien number is required for kids who are less than 18 year old and their parents got naturalized. Then they can use their parent’s certificate with their alien number to get the passport. In other cases there is no need to put the GC number because it is not a valid number.
That is my opinion.
Best regards,
Sams68

Update on Electronic Passports

I just found that the security surcharge of $12 is going toward funding the new electonic passport. The customer service rep mentioned that the electronic passport will not be available until mid next year!!

I know some people in Washington DC area have started to receive this already (as mentioned on this forum). Has anyone else received electronic passports?

Suriyan:

Did you fill the passport application:
1) By hand
2) Fill n Print adobe file
3) Online entry, printed with 2D bar code?

If (2) or (3)
Did you use inkjet or laser printer?

I am trying to ascertain if we have a scanning error here or a human data logger issue. Also was your name and address totally off, or were some letters misread?

Your answer can help us all. Thanks...

suriyan said:
An update on passport status.
My online status showed that I should have received it on July 19th. But, I hadnt receivedt it yet this morning (July 21st). So, I called them up, and they gave me a FEDEX tracking number. It seemed to have a wrong address. So, I went to the Fedex office where it was held up and collected it.
The sad part is, printing mistakes where all over the place. They had my mailing address wrong and last name wrong in their attempt to mail it to me. When I looked at the passport, they had my middle name in it wrong. So, I have to send it back again to have it corrected.
Fortunately, the Naturalization certificate has all the correct information.

help4all said:
Suriyan:

Did you fill the passport application:
1) By hand
2) Fill n Print adobe file
3) Online entry, printed with 2D bar code?

If (2) or (3)
Did you use inkjet or laser printer?

I am trying to ascertain if we have a scanning error here or a human data logger issue. Also was your name and address totally off, or were some letters misread?

Your answer can help us all. Thanks...

Hello help4all,
I was given the passport packet at my interview (the orange colored passport application form). I chose to fill it online at the travet.state.gov site and printed it out with laser printer. So, all information that I submitted was correct. So, I used online entry, printed with 2D bar code, and it was laser printed.
Hope this helps.

Thanks, Suriyan. That leads me to think we should avoid 2D bar code for now... wrong name in a passport is a serious error.

suriyan said:
Hello help4all,
I was given the passport packet at my interview (the orange colored passport application form). I chose to fill it online at the travet.state.gov site and printed it out with laser printer. So, all information that I submitted was correct. So, I used online entry, printed with 2D bar code, and it was laser printed.
Hope this helps.

Hi,
I applied for the passport by using expedite service at Virginia beach area USPS on 07/20/06 and they forgot to give me the tracking number for the outgoing and incoming express mail and I can't locate till now my request on WWW.STATE.GOV. Do you have any idea how long it takes for the application to show up online? I am traveling very early August and I am getting worried.
Thanks,
Sams68

Sams68 said:
Hi,
I applied for the passport by using expedite service at Virginia beach area USPS on 07/20/06 and they forgot to give me the tracking number for the outgoing and incoming express mail and I can't locate till now my request on WWW.STATE.GOV. Do you have any idea how long it takes for the application to show up online? I am traveling very early August and I am getting worried.
Thanks,
Sams68

It takes between 5 to 7 working days for your application to show up online. If you have used expedited service, you will probably receive your passport before it even shows up online.

Status showed online today.

I called CS, she said that it's getting processesed at San Francisco and they will mail it by Thursday and I will receive it on Friday. I thought all passports gets processed at Charleston, apparantly I am wrong.

areyosamba said:
Status showed online today.

I called CS, she said that it's getting processesed at San Francisco and they will mail it by Thursday and I will receive it on Friday. I thought all passports gets processed at Charleston, apparantly I am wrong.

areogabbar...
how much did it cost for the 10 days service...is there anything for overnight passports...i had read it somewhere...is it true?

thanks in advance

query11
Cost for expedited service $127 + $30 (Post office execution fee) + $30 (express mail if you choose)
Cost of regular service is $67 + $30 (Post office execution fee)

10days : 127 + 30 + 28.80 (to and fro overnight shipping)

I have not heard about overnight but there is a same day service. For this you need to take appt with Regional passport center and take documentation along with you. You have to show some kind of proof why you need it so urgent like air line tickets etc.

query11. said:
areogabbar...
how much did it cost for the 10 days service...is there anything for overnight passports...i had read it somewhere...is it true?

thanks in advance

You can get an appointment with the local Passport office (San Francisco in Bay area). You need to show proff (Airline tickets) in order to get passport same day.