passport timeline thread ?

This is a question for applicants from India..

In the passport application form , there is mention for 'Place of Birth' for Parents.. My parents were born before Independence in a city which is now in Pakistan..
Do we need to put both city & country in Place of birth?
Should I put city , INDIA (although city is now in Pakistan) or just INDIA will suffice?

Any experience from applicants from INDIA

Thanks

kash_k5,
Country should be suffice.

In the usps office where I applied, someone mentioned that they don't know the city and date of birth of parents. The lady in the counter said, we can just mention country and rough year of birth of parents (dont need date and month). Hope this helps.

Is it possible to do the Regular Processing but with Express Mail while getting the Passport?

Like can I pay Cost of regular service is $67 + $30 (Post office execution fee) + One way (Return) Express Mail Postage (like $15 or so?) ???

Has anyone have this experience? I am not in a hurry to get the passport as I don't have any travel plans but also at the same time I want to make sure that I get the Naturalization Certificate without losing much sleep.

Please share your experience.

Thanks.

DesiChap said:
query11
Cost for expedited service $127 + $30 (Post office execution fee) + $30 (express mail if you choose)
Cost of regular service is $67 + $30 (Post office execution fee)

Received my passport a little under 2 weeks from when I applied with expedited service. Nothing unusual about that, but what I found interesting was that my case status could never be found on the online tracking tool.

Received my passport in 9 days, I applied with expedited service on 07/20 from Norfolk VA and passport rcvd 07/29.
Best regards to all,
Sams68

Overnight passport processing

A USCIS supervisor told me that a passport could be processed "overnight" if the applicant was in urgent need of traveling. Is that true? This USCIS officer obviously doesn't work at a passport agency.

Regards,

Einmalig

Thanks for your prompt reply, Boatbod.
I checked that website out and it does mention that you may apply for a passport at a regional passport agency if you are traveling within two weeks, but I didn't find any reference to same-day service nor how much it would cost...

Regards,

Einmalig.

boatbod said:
Actually you can get same-day service if you have genuine urgent travel need, and go in person to one of the regional passport service centers. More details are available at the State Dept passport website.

Hmmm so it would seem. I know for a fact there have been people going to the Washington DC office for same-day service so I'm certain it's possible if you can demonstrate the need. Basically you'd need an appointment, and then turn up with airline tickets for for the next day...

Sounds like a lot of hassle unless its really a life & death situation. Much easier to plan a bit ahead and use the "regular" expedited service.

And I recall an American who stayed at the hotel where I worked at and he mentioned that he needed a same-day passport in order to fly somewhere in Latin America and he was confident that he was going to get it...

But anyway, I'm not in any such situation and will just apply for the expedited service. Here in Miami where I live this type of application issues the passport within 9 or ten days always, even though they advise applicants that it could take 14 or 15 days...

boatbod said:
Hmmm so it would seem. I know for a fact there have been people going to the Washington DC office for same-day service so I'm certain it's possible if you can demonstrate the need. Basically you'd need an appointment, and then turn up with airline tickets for for the next day...

Sounds like a lot of hassle unless its really a life & death situation. Much easier to plan a bit ahead and use the "regular" expedited service.

Department of State Begins Issuing Electronic Passports to the Public

To enhance border security and to facilitate travel, the Department of State began issuing Electronic Passports (e-passports) to the public today. Production has started at the Colorado Passport Agency and will be expanded to other production facilities over the next few months.

Consistent with globally interoperable specifications adopted by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), this next generation of the U.S. passport includes biometric technology. A contactless chip in the rear cover of the passport will contain the same data as that found on the biographic data page of the passport (name, date of birth, gender, place of birth, dates of passport issuance and expiration, passport number), and will also include a digital image of the bearer’s photograph.

The Department of State has employed a multi-layered approach to protect the privacy of the information and to mitigate the chances of the electronic data being skimmed (unauthorized reading) or eavesdropped (intercepting communication of the transmission of data between the chip and the reader by unintended recipients). Metallic anti-skimming material incorporated into the front cover and spine of the e-passport book prevents the chip from being skimmed, or read, when the book is fully closed; Basic Access Control (BAC) technology, which requires that the data page be read electronically to generate a key that unlocks the chip, will prevent skimming and eavesdropping; and a randomized unique identification (RUID) feature will mitigate the risk that an e-passport holder could be tracked. To prevent alteration or modification of the data on the chip, and to allow authorities to validate and authenticate the data, the information on the chip will include an electronic signature (PKI).

The Department of State is confident that the new e-passport, including biometrics and other improvements, will take security and travel facilitation to a new level.

For more information about the Electronic Passport, please visit the Bureau of Consular Affairs’ website at http://travel.state.gov.

2006/752

Released on August 14, 2006

Electronic Passport

From toll free number...

Currently these are issued out of Colorado office only. Would be a while before it gets universal.

Expedited Passport Timeline (Aug 2006)

5 working days at Philadelphia PO Box

Fri Noon: Appl recd
Wed AM: Web acknowledgement, tentative date Wed week after
Thu: Date of PP issue
Fri: Mailed back
Sat AM: overnite recd

PP type: Ordinary (non electronic)

Is it possible to do the Regular Processing but with Express Mail while getting the Passport?

Like can I pay Cost of regular service is $67 + $30 (Post office execution fee) + One way (Return) Express Mail Postage (like $15 or so?) ???

Has anyone have this experience? I am not in a hurry to get the passport as I don't have any travel plans but also at the same time I want to make sure that I get the Naturalization Certificate without losing much sleep.

Thanks.

just put the request to the postal employee... the charges are la carte in the final bill. To save money further consider priority mail with delivery confirmation ... that might get you a tracking number when it pops up in the system.

havefun said:

Thanks.

Question

I took my passport applicaiton to the post office today.

The lady charged me $127 for expedited, $30 for processing and just a $14 for the return express mail. She said that they pay for the express mail going *to* the INS. That seemed weird to me and I kept asking her, but she had the envelope and said that was all I needed to pay.

Does this sound right to you guys?

Also, she said expedited is 2-4 weeks. That just seems way too long... I need to travel in 2.5 week and so paid extra.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Shribuy, I applied for my passport on 7/27, only did regular processing and received it today. It only took 4 weeks and 1 day! Also, in the Tampa timeline thread there's a poster who did expedited processing in late July and received his passport within 10 days. Best of luck with your travels!

Thank you, Caillie. I will keep you guys posted -- I have seen timelines of one week for expedited, so I live in hope.

Stressful sending the Naturalization certificate away :)