passport timeline thread ?

supernet said:
3/7: became US citizen; applied US passport (regular service)
3/11: start changing name process at Alameda County
3/22: received passport
5/9: name changed
5/12: applied US passport with new name
6/17: received new passport.
Supernet,
I became a USC and got my US passport. Now I want to change my name. How do you apply for a name change?Thanks.
NC2006

workhomes2003 said:
I just applied for my PP expedited. I was told I should expect in the next 10 business days .
I applied for passport (expedited) on 6/16 from LA and got it yesterday on 6/23 via return express mail.

NC2006 said:
Supernet,
I became a USC and got my US passport. Now I want to change my name. How do you apply for a name change?Thanks.
NC2006

If you didn't ask for a name change through naturalization, now only a judge can change your name, you have to request it in court.

NC2006 said:
Supernet,
NC2006

Go to the court and they will give you the instruction. You need to publish your name change petition on news paper for 6 weeks, then go to court again for hearing. If no one challenges your petition, it will be granted. Then you buy the judge order and mail with your old passport. No need to pay passport fee again if within 12 months: http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds5504/ds5504_2663.html

I applied thro expedited process( fees $157). Now the status shows
requested Expedite Service and Routine Delivery of your passport. Passport Agencies use Priority Mail.
what is this mean ? Do I need to pay somemore to make it overnight delievery. I aleady paid 157$. Please advise.

Passport timeline

workhomes2003:
I applied 6/21/06 using expedited service with overnight delivery ($172).
My passport package arrived 6/28/06, processed at Charleston, SC center.
Your package will probably arrive in next 1-2 days.

thanks Houston2006. your r correct. Yesterday I called the number since I forgot to request overnight, it will reach me in the next few days.

Can you provide link to where are those 14 regional passport centres, and what is the process/requirements?

Thanks,
Stoil

mnudvr said:
I would suggest you to book your tickets today, then schedule an appointment in any of the 14 regional passport centres for same day approval process, they will ask for naturalization certificate, photos, fees and airline tickets.

Hi

As I will be traveling within 7 days of Oath, I want to apply for passport to be ready in 1 or 2 days, at Chicago. ( I am in Detroit ).

I have follwing questions:

1. There are a lot of services, which help you get the passport in one day. Do I need to use them or if I go personally to PP agency in Chicago, it is same thing?

2. Will they hand deliver the Passport in one or two days, or will they mail it only ( courier )? If they will courier, can they courier to an address in Chicago, instead of my home address in Detroit? Then I can apply for Visa in Chicago only.

3. Do I need to make an appointment for applying in person, for a one or two day delivery of passport?

Thanks

Nakoo (nkgeicher@hotmail.com )

Applied for a passport June 2nd, 2006 for normal processing. Checked the status today and it says that the passport has been mailed and I should get it on July 10th, 2006. So, just under 6 weeks as predicted on the web site.

PASSPORT STATUS (PP renewal for daughter)
01/01/06 APPLIED FOR PASSPORT (REG PROCESSING)
Status updated to Passport mailed. I guess I should receive in the next day or 2. 6 weeks seems to be the timeline.

Passport Applied : 6/28/2006
Passport Received : 7/6/2006

Processing time : 1 week + 1 day
Used expedited processing ($60 extra).
Did not opt for overnight delivery. Applied at local postal office.

How do we speed up if we already applied the passport in regular process?

We applied for the passport at June 9, 2006 at local post office for regular process. The web on line status shows that we should get the passport on or about July 17, 2006. We do not get it until now. We are in california, the passport porcess agent office is in SC. We had booked the airtickets for travaling on Aug. 2, 2006. Just talked with one lady of national passport information center about the status. She said that she will send out a notice through email to agent of SC to let them speed up the process. My quesiong:
(1) Do anybody have similiar experience as us? Does the speed up process work?
(2) If we can't get the passport in couple days, what should we do? Can we pay the extra money to speed up the process by make a appointment to the local agent?

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

Call the Passport office and let them know you would like to pay an additional $60/ for expedited process. They will charge it using your credit card. You will get the passport within 2 days after you make this payment. The passport office is opened till midnight. this is lot cheaper & time saving instead of trying to get an appointment. My friend went through the similar problem and he got the passport on the 3rd day after he mad the $60/ payment. good luck

Passport Form Entry

Glad to see this forum... Could the gurus help with a couple of questions?

1. What does item 6 on DS-11 form, "Alien Registration No., if applicable" mean. I dont have nat cert yet, so I dont know if that is what is needed. Is it same as PR number?

2. Any experiences Is the option of filling on web online (not fillable pdf) that generates a 2D bar chart.

I am planning on expedited service...

Thanks in advance

help4all said:
Glad to see this forum... Could the gurus help with a couple of questions?

1. What does item 6 on DS-11 form, "Alien Registration No., if applicable" mean. I dont have nat cert yet, so I dont know if that is what is needed. Is it same as PR number?

The A# is the number that was on your GC - but its no longer applicable since you are a citizen. I think the box is there because under some circumstances there may be a way for a non-citizen to get a US passport. Not sure quite how or why, but definitely recall reading it in the passport application instructions.

Thanks. If it is not a Naturalization Certificate number, it probably applies to US Nationals (think Marshall Islands). In fact, item 23, the oath and signature, mentions non-citizens as an option.

That means one can fill/print the passport application form in entirety prior to taking oath.

boatbod said:
The A# is the number that was on your GC - but its no longer applicable since you are a citizen. I think the box is there because under some circumstances there may be a way for a non-citizen to get a US passport. Not sure quite how or why, but definitely recall reading it in the passport application instructions.