Passport expiring March 2017

preet4575

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am in US on TN status. I applied for 3 year TN in Nov 2014 but since my CAD passport is expiring in March 2017 the officer gave me TN till expiry of my passport (1 March 2017)

Now i got offer from another company for which i want to have a new TN. My Questions are

1)Do i have to renew my passport before applying a new TN?

2) Even if i get a new TN till march 2017, i will renew my passport, will i have to apply for TN again?

Thanks, in advance!

In either case, while the I-94 issued to you expires on your PP expiry date, the TN is still good for the full 3 years. You would simply have to go to border when you get your new passport, and have them issue a new I-94 (not make a new TN application)

Hi,

I am in US on TN status. I applied for 3 year TN in Nov 2014 but since my CAD passport is expiring in March 2017 the officer gave me TN till expiry of my passport (1 March 2017)

Now i got offer from another company for which i want to have a new TN. My Questions are

1)Do i have to renew my passport before applying a new TN?

2) Even if i get a new TN till march 2017, i will renew my passport, will i have to apply for TN again?

Thanks, in advance!

Hello,
Here is my situation: Passport expires in 2017 June. TN issued in May 2015. TN issued till PP expiry date. I asked the officer if he can make a note, that I can show my employer, that I can work for 3 years from the issuance of TN. The officer wrote the following note on the back of the I-94: " Employment Auth. w/ XYZ Engineering Valid 3 Yrs. Doc Limited to PP Validity." Let me know what do you understand from this note.

Furthermore, I have a second TN for part time for another company.

I already made a decision, that I will renew the passport and get new TN's. You can apply for Canadian PP renewal 1 year before expiry date.

The note is quite clear. read the earlier posts. No need to repeat answer.

I was thinking that it might be useful to someone posting the note written in my PP and tell about my situation. Looks like I was wasting my time; you know it all. Enjoy your day.

My I94/TN is expiring in May 2016 1st week however my employer insisting to go through their immigration lawyer which takes 2 weeks to complete paperwork.

Is it ok just send TN application by mail and wait for decision on application even I94 expire during process?

Not sure what your question has to do with this thread, but, yes, as long as I-129 is filed bfore your current I-94 expires, you can continue to work and stay in US for up to 240 days after expiry while waiting for a decision.

Additional question regarding passport expiration:

- My TN is issued for 3 years (Nov 17) but I94 is issued till expiry of passport (March 2017). Nelsona mentioned earlier that only I94 has to be issued again and not a new TN application should be made. My question is:
  • Can the I94 be renewed at a local cbp office (not leaving US) or it has to be done by exiting and entering US (at POE)?
  • Is there any additional paper work required or will they have in system that TN was given till Nov 17 and they will issue new I94?
Thanks!

* No, only at border.
* I would carry something that showed the date your TN was issued, along with a copy of the original letter. But it should be in their system.
I'd be tempted just to get a new TN at that point, with a new letter, after you get your passport.

Hi Nelsona,
Along these lines, I have a passport that expires in June 2017. I'm applying for TN Status. My understanding is that even if the letter of support is for 3 years, I'll likely only get a TN until the end of my current passport. Is that correct? If this is the case, I'm going to get an urgent passport renewal this week.

I'm also scrambling a bit to get my letter from my future TN supporter. Is a digitally signed "original" by email likely to be rejected at the POE? I'm a physician offered a contract position which will necessitate frequent crossing back and forth to the US to present seminars on their behalf. I will not have a residence in the USA at any time. My first conference presentation will be this coming Saturday in Kansas City.

Thanks
Doug

I think from this thread, that you can't come to any other conclusion that your I-94 will only be issued until June 2017, so that isn't really the question, is it? Since you live in Canada however, why bother with an urgent passport renewal. When you get a new passport in the course of time just ask for the extra time on your TN.

The letter you describe will be fine in that form.

If this is merely a contract position for a person remaining resident in Canada, I wonder of the need for the TN. One could *probably* enter on B1 (undocumented). That is not to say that a TN would not also be appropriate in this case. Just offering this as a possible option, if time becomes an issue.

Last edited:
Hi Nelsona,
There's something I could not understand from your inputs above in this thread:
TN status that we get for working in US is till the expiry date of our Canadian passport. The TN letter from our employer may be good for full 3 years or more, but the TN status as granted once is good till a certain date and stays constant per the I-94 given initially.

E.g. TN was applied for 3 years on Dec 20, 2015. Passport expires on Aug 30, 2016. So I am clear that the 'TN status' was granted till Aug 30, 2016 only and I-94 also issued till that date only. Now, the person renews the passport for another 5/10 years in June 2016. Per my understanding, the person would have to get a new TN before Aug 30, 2016. I didn't know one has any other option (of course, renewing/extending it from within US is possible, though expensive and time consuming)

So when you say to get another I-94 on new passport using the old TN letter which should be good till Dec 19, 2018 is intriguing me. Maybe I misunderstood this!
Sorry for the detailed post, wanted to really clarify it. Am in exact same situation as I mention here, renewing my passport and looks like you eventually suggested to get a new TN anyway to be best strategy (per your response to preet4575).
Thank you and Best Regards,
Genex

I wrote:
In either case, while the I-94 issued to you expires on your PP expiry date, the TN is still good for the full 3 years. You would simply have to go to border when you get your new passport, and have them issue a new I-94 (not make a new TN application)

I don't see how you can misinterpret that.

That exactly what I was asking about. How could a TN status be good for 3 years when it was granted till PP expiry date only?
A new I-94 would have to be on the basis of old TN application which was already used once to grant a TN till Aug 30, 2016?

You are not USING your old petition, you are REMINDING them at the border, just in case they can't find your paperwork in the system, that your TN was granted for three years, and are taking your old paperwork with you. Only the I-94 was short-term, based on recent policy of CBP which limits I-94 issuance to passport expiry (btw, USCIS has no such policy, and would grant 3 years on mail-in I-129 even if your passport was expiring three weeks hence).

You would do the same, for instance, if you were going to Europe, in the middle of your TN period, when you must give back your I-94 when leaving US. as a REMINDER that you have this time left on your TN.

btw, my suggestion for prret to get a new TN was based on the fact that the difference between his TN expiry and his I-94/passport expiry was only a few short months. Why go thru the bother of getting a new I-94 which would only get 4-5 months use. In your case you have another 2 years of TN validity to ask for when you get your new passport.

Am going to end this now, since it is getting quite repetitive, and you will just have to accept what is common practice for several years now: YNs are granted for the full term requested, but I-94s are only issued for passport duration, and are automatically reissues once your passport is renewed for the remaining TN validity period.

I think from this thread, that you can't come to any other conclusion that your I-94 will only be issued until June 2017, so that isn't really the question, is it? Since you live in Canada however, why bother with an urgent passport renewal. When you get a new passport in the course of time just ask for the extra time on your TN.

The letter you describe will be fine in that form.

If this is merely a contract position for a person remaining resident in Canada, I wonder of the need for the TN. One could *probably* enter on B1 (undocumented). That is not to say that a TN would not also be appropriate in this case. Just offering this as a possible option, if time becomes an issue.

You've raised an intriging option, albeit a moot point now that I have my TN's. What would I have needed in order to get into the USA to work on B1? I have had friends turned back at the border when the informed CBP that they were giving a lecture at an academic meeting and being paid an honorarium.

Thanks,
DougG