Passport card

I applied for a passport card for my child this morning. I didn't like that the post office person stapled through the passport (front page and photo page). I am thinking of writing to the passport agency to let them know that they should change the procedure with the post office and stop stapling things always. :mad:

How can I apply for a Passport Card in Taiwan?

I just moved to Taiwan for work,

and I couldn't find the service of Passport Card applying that AIT(American Institute in Taiwan) offers for Americans living in Taiwan....

Here is the AIT website: http://www.ait.org.tw/en/

Thanks for help!

The picture is black and white, but to be honest with you - its a nice looking card. Although the design is slightly different, it is very similar to the biographic page of the new e-passport. I expected something cheesy but was surprised. :)

Now comes the testing part - to see if anyone actually knows what this card is! I will be going to Canada in a couple of weeks for the weekend.

I just moved to Taiwan for work,

and I couldn't find the service of Passport Card applying that AIT(American Institute in Taiwan) offers for Americans living in Taiwan....

Here is the AIT website: http://www.ait.org.tw/en/

Thanks for help!

The passport form DS-82 has a check box for passport card at the very beginning.

Got it!

Hi Guys,

I applied for my passport book on 8/8/08 and got it on 8/22/08. I didn't get my Naturalization certificate though. Does anyone know if it is sent via priority mail and if I can track it? Please let me know. Tks.

The passport card facilitates entry and expedites document processing ONLY at U.S. Land and sea ports-of-entry when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda.

The card may NOT be used to travel by air.

Therefore, in my opinion, there is no need to apply for a card for most people.

I have ended up applying for passport cards for my whole family. Although I have traveled occasionally to Canada or Mexico by land, I am not getting them for this purpose. The reason I am applying for passport cards is to have additional proof of citizenship. We have read some people cases in which most citizenship proof is lost and it is a pain to rebuild your "identity". Passport book can be used to obtain passport card and viceversa. In general a passport card is additional proof of citizenship. However, for most people and for most intents and purposes the passport card is unnecessary. On the other hand, people who hang out in this forum tend to be overly sensitive to immigration and naturalization issues :)

I have ended up applying for passport cards for my whole family. Although I have traveled occasionally to Canada or Mexico by land, I am not getting them for this purpose. The reason I am applying for passport cards is to have additional proof of citizenship. We have read some people cases in which most citizenship proof is lost and it is a pain to rebuild your "identity". Passport book can be used to obtain passport card and viceversa. In general a passport card is additional proof of citizenship. However, for most people and for most intents and purposes the passport card is unnecessary. On the other hand, people who hang out in this forum tend to be overly sensitive to immigration and naturalization issues :)

As usual all your points are valid. :) Having additional proof of citizenship never hurt any one. And with a 10 yr validity date the card is hardly expensive in anyone's terms.

I'm afraid my reason is simply because I live 35 minutes from the border and frequently visit Canada. It seems less of a hassle to carry a card in my wallet versus having to fret over the booklet.

Sorry people I was gone for a while. Stressed up with I-130 processing and last Friday I got the approval for I-130. Now I have to deal with NVC which they say it is easier.

My passport card is nice, I love it and I miss my GC. poor thing was in my wallet for little period of time.
I got the passport card not for traveling but only for Citizenship proof as Huracan said.

and I go to this Oulet mall next to Mexico border, in case I pass the exit (it is the last exit on the freeway before Mexico border) I have a proof of my citizenship.

I wasted so much money while I was dealing with USCIS that this $20 extra is nothing in compare to.

I am sure in close future you can use this card as a 100% valid picture ID(now it is not very common)

peace out

Just wanted to let you know that I received my passport card. It looks very cool. It looks like a green card. It is a waterproof card. I will be using it to travel to Canada since my relatives live in Canada. Of course, I will plan to use it to go to Vancouver for Winter Olympics in 2012. :)

Hi Atlanta Brother, LolaLi and Nimche,

Thanks for your comments. I think Nimche's passport card (applied July 23, received August 18) is the latest shortest processing time I have seen for passport card so far. I am thinking my application will take about four weeks too, but I am fine if it takes a bit longer, as long as they send me back the passport book. Even if that is not the case I don't need the passport book until Christmas season so I think that should be plenty of time.

Just wanted to let you know that I received my passport card. It looks very cool. It looks like a green card. It is a waterproof card. I will be using it to travel to Canada since my relatives live in Canada. Of course, I will plan to use it to go to Vancouver for Winter Olympics in 2012. :)

Congratulations! :) It seems they will be able to comply with their promise of sending the passport cards to everyone who applied before production started by September. However, it would seem like they are not following strict first in first out. It would seem like they are also processing current applications while clearing the old backlog. Anyway, whatever works better for them operationally, as long as they are fair to people who applied early on.

Congratulations! :) It seems they will be able to comply with their promise of sending the passport cards to everyone who applied before production started by September. However, it would seem like they are not following strict first in first out. It would seem like they are also processing current applications while clearing the old backlog. Anyway, whatever works better for them operationally, as long as they are fair to people who applied early on.

Thank you, Huracan. Passports and passport cards are issued by the Department of the State, not USCIS. I think they (department of state employees) did a good job on processing them.

USCIS Informs The Public That New Passport Card Is Acceptable For Employment Eligibility Verification

WASHINGTON—U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services is informing the public that the new U.S. Passport Card may be used in the Employment Eligibility Verification form (I-9) process.

Last month, the Departments of State and Homeland Security announced that the new passport card was in full production. The new card provides a less expensive and more portable alternative to the traditional passport book, and will expedite document processing at United States land and sea ports-of-entry for U.S. citizens traveling to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.

While the new card is more limited in its uses for international travel (e.g., it may not be used for international air travel), it is a valid passport that attests to the U.S. citizenship and identity of the bearer. Accordingly, the card may be used for the Form I-9 process and can also be accepted by employers participating in the E-Verify program.

The passport card is considered a “List A” document that may be presented by newly hired employees during the employment eligibility verification process to show work authorized status. “List A” documents are those used by employees to prove both identity and work authorization when completing the Form I-9.

For more information on the Form I-9 process, call the USCIS National Customer Service Center at (800) 375-5283 or visit our Website at www.uscis.gov. Information about E-Verify, a free and voluntary program that allows participating employers to electronically verify the employment eligibility of their newly hired employees, can be obtained by visiting our Website at www.uscis.gov/e-verify or by calling (888) 464-4218.

source: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=8daff5a7ebd9b110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD&vgnextchannel=91919c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you get your naturalization certificate?

Hi USGC485,

Did you get your NC yet? I haven't. I applied for only my passport on 8/8/08 and received it on 8/22/08. I'm a bit worried about not receiving my NC. Anyone have any idea when to expect it. I'm from NYC. Tks.

Hi USGC485,

Did you get your NC yet? I haven't. I applied for only my passport on 8/8/08 and received it on 8/22/08. I'm a bit worried about not receiving my NC. Anyone have any idea when to expect it. I'm from NYC. Tks.

Yes, I received my NC separately on the same day I received my passport booklet.

Can you call them where your NC is? Where did you apply? post office in NYC? if so, it will take time to get NC back.

Can you call them where your NC is? Where did you apply? post office in NYC? if so, it will take time to get NC back.

Is there any reason why applying through a post office will cause a delay in getting the NC back?

Is there any reason why applying through a post office will cause a delay in getting the NC back?

I don't know why it will cause a delay. Probably different post office and passport agency in different places have rules on how to send passport and NC to you. Maybe they try to verify signature on NC or alien number on the computer to show that the passport applicant is a US citizen, but I don't know.

I have seen the cases:
1) sometimes they sent NC and new passport together to you.
2) sometimes they sent a new passport first, then sent your NC to you separately later.
3) sometimes they sent your NC to you first and then sent a new passport to you later.