Passport card

I agree, as an extra piece of ID the passport can be invaluable (provided you don't loose it with all your other documents :)). when you need to prove your identity. But for everyday WHIT compliant travel, an EDL suffices.
On the other hand, one can argue that having an extra piece of identification exposes your risk to identify theft since if you loose your passport card it's just another document someone can use to steal your identity.

I agree, as an extra piece of ID the passport can be invaluable (provided you don't loose it with all your other documents :)). when you need to prove your identity. But for everyday WHIT compliant travel, an EDL suffices.
On the other hand, one can argue that having an extra piece of identification exposes your risk to identify theft since if you loose your passport card it's just another document someone can use to steal your identity.

Before NYS DMV introduced EDL, I was planning to get passport card as proof of citizenship to carry it in my wallet. Now after they introduced EDL, I will carry only EDL and keep passport card in my safe. We still don't know if ICE, Border Control officers and other government agencies will respect EDL as proof of citizenship except traveling to Canada & Mexico. Passport card will be accepted same as passport (except international air travel).

Application status changed this afternoon to being in the final processing stage, that means passport cards probably on Monday. I am sure once they clear this initial backlog they should be able to issue the passport cards as fast or faster than the passport books. In my book, the current three weeks is very good, considering how bad USCIS is with processing times.

In that case, a social security card (free of charge) can be used on I-9 instead. I still don't see justification of spending extra money on a passport card if you have an EDL.

I don't know about the extra cost you mention Bobsmyth.... An EDL isn't exactly cheap. I went to the NY DMV web site the other day for curiosity and the EDL is $30 in addition to the $50 one pays for a regular (Class D) DL - so a total of $80. :) Check it out: http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/edl.htm They begin production on 9/16/08.

The passport card is certainly cheaper in this case because it is valid for longer and 1] either you pay one $25 to apply for both card and booklet, or 2] it is has no facility fee because you can mail it as a renewal with an existing passport for proof of citizenship.

Either way it is a win - win situation, and the cost has detered me from upgrading my NY DL to an EDL when it comes time to renew early next year.

Too bad Certificate of Naturalization is not proof of ID or employment anymore on I-9. Just check the instructions. Passport card is more important now.

Yea - I find that strange personally. I mean I know after 10+ years the picture no longer resembles the applicant...but still. I know that is the #1 reason they don't want to use certificates (naturalization and citizenship) for proof. If you use another (recent) picture ID with your name and dob, it should suffice - but there is no reasoning with the government.

In addition, many State and local governments only accept certificates as proof of citizenship within the first 10 years of issuance.

Quick comment. My child's passport card came without the protective sleeve. The protective sleeve is mentioned in the letter, but it was a no show. I guess they run out of sleeves due to the high level of issued cards. By the way, it seems the cards are numbered consecutively and it seems they are pretty close to half a million cards already.

Quick comment. My child's passport card came without the protective sleeve. The protective sleeve is mentioned in the letter, but it was a no show. I guess they run out of sleeves due to the high level of issued cards. By the way, it seems the cards are numbered consecutively and it seems they are pretty close to half a million cards already.

I thought they will use passports' numbers, but after I saw my sister's passcard now I know they use different numbers.

Yea - I find that strange personally. I mean I know after 10+ years the picture no longer resembles the applicant...but still. I know that is the #1 reason they don't want to use certificates (naturalization and citizenship) for proof. If you use another (recent) picture ID with your name and dob, it should suffice - but there is no reasoning with the government.

In addition, many State and local governments only accept certificates as proof of citizenship within the first 10 years of issuance.

They can't say it's not valid after 10 years of issuance. This federal government document never expires. But I know they removed that certificate from I-9 form to force people to apply for US Passport.

Got the passport cards for my wife and I, and my passport book. Wife's passport book didn't arrive today. This time the passport cards came with the protective sleeves.

Since a US passport is required for air travel, what happens if you leave to the Caribbean with passport card and you fall ill and need to return to US by plane? Will they still allow you to return by plane?
Reason I bring it up is that I remember cruise lines recommending passport instead of passport card in case you have a medical emergency that requires you to return to US by plane.

Can you guys shed some light on EDLs for those of use who live in a state where EDLs do not (at least as yet) exist. What are they exactly, who can apply for them, what do they cost and why are they useful? Will these documents be accepted as valid proof of citizenship at land and sea crossings under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative? If not, then what is the advantage of obtaining an EDL?

Can you guys shed some light on EDLs for those of use who live in a state where EDLs do not (at least as yet) exist. What are they exactly, who can apply for them, what do they cost and why are they useful? Will these documents be accepted as valid proof of citizenship at land and sea crossings under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative? If not, then what is the advantage of obtaining an EDL?

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/edl-main.htm

The above link will take you to a page on the NYS DMV website that explains everything about the EDL.

Passport card.........what the hell is this ?

This is exactly what I was asked about this passport card when I showed this to one of the officers at USCIS DO.
They were like, we don't know what this is, could you please show us your Green card. The lady spent good 5 mins to see this card, front and back and was lost. She then called the security and made sure it wasn't a fake id that I was carrying in my wallet. She said that if I was a citizen then where is my passport bla bla. I told her to read the card carefully & if she still doesn't understand, I will more than happy to take out my passport or natz certificate from my briefcase :mad:

Hi Atlanta_Brother,

You have highlighted the issue with all new documents, that it can be tamper proof, high tech, but it is useless if other people don't understand or don't believe its validity. It happens sometimes with new currency bills and some other new documents. I think for the passport card it will take some years for people to start recognizing them, and in many parts of the country they never will. However, I think you did your civic duty of educating those USCIS employees :) You would figure that of all people they should know and have some training about the passport card. It is hilarious that they asked you about your Green Card, that person was clueless.

RE : Passport card

We began production of the U.S. Passport Card on July 14. To date, we have received and adjudicated well over 350,000 applications for the U.S. Passport Card. Customers who submitted an application for the U.S. Passport Card prior to production, will receive their Passport Card between now and early September.

The passport card facilitates entry and expedites document processing at U.S. land and sea ports-of-entry when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The card may not be used to travel by air. Otherwise, it carries the rights and privileges of the U.S. passport book and is adjudicated to the exact same standards.

Note: A previous passport book holder, eligible to use Form DS-82 , may apply for a passport card as a Renewal. First time applicants for a U.S. Passport, and those not eligible to use the DS-82, should apply for a passport card using Form DS-11.

The Department of State is issuing this passport card in response to the needs of border resident communities for a less expensive and more portable alternative to the traditional passport book. The card has the same period of validity as a passport book: 10 years for an adult, five for children 15 and younger. Adults who already have a fully valid passport book may apply for the card as a passport renewal and pay only $20. First-time applicants pay $45 for adult cards and $35 for children.

To facilitate the frequent travel of U.S. citizens living in border communities and to meet DHS’s operational needs at land borders, the passport card contains a vicinity-read radio frequency identification (RFID) chip. This chip points to a stored record in secure government databases. There is no personal information written to the RFID chip itself.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/edl-main.htm

The above link will take you to a page on the NYS DMV website that explains everything about the EDL.
Thanks for that. EDL is basically a driver's license on steroids, in that it can be used just like a passport card. Agree that if you have one of these then you don't really need a pass card. But, I will tell you that here in California with all the immigration raids and checkpoints etc. they have, the more documents you have in your wallet that prove you're a citizen of the US, the better. If you live close to the border, as I do, then it's even better...this way, you've always got a spare ID!

Can't wait for these to be introduced to California! Anybody know if CA will adopt an EDL-like document?

With the passport card there is little reason to have EDL other than not carrying so many documents. EDL are more expensive and last less than the passport card. That is assuming a 5 year driver license and 10 year passport card. California is going REAL ID, I am not sure if that means EDL. I agree with your sentiment of having as many documents to proof citizenship as possible, but in the case of the driver license I worry about discrimination against non-citizens. Let's say you apply for rental and they ask you for the driver license and realize you are not a citizen, they could secretly discriminate against you. However, it could be argued that not all citizens would apply for EDL and therefore the lack of EDL doesn't necessarily mean one is not a citizen. Anyway, there is a big risk of function creep. I don't see the same problem with the passport card because nobody expects anybody to have a passport card, however I can see that over time most people might expect people to have EDL. In my case I would rather have not have REAL ID and not EDL.

Just my 2 cents.