Passed Citizenship Test

SpanishGirl

Registered Users (C)
This is a simple THANK YOU to every person on this site who has helped me with my Journey. I started with this site back in 2009 as a visitor from Canada in the US. Now I am a citizen and have legally changed my last name to my US born husband's!

You can see my timeline for my journey and ask me any questions you may have.

Thank you everyone!!! I really really appreciate your help.

Congrats! But have you taken the oath and received your certificate?

Passing the test doesn't make you a citizen yet; you have to complete the oath ceremony to become a citizen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats! But have you taken the oath and received your certificate?

Passing the test doesn't make you a citizen yet; you have to complete the oath ceremony to become a citizen.

She said welcome to America, I'm all cleared an the notice will arrive for the oath in two weeks. What could go wrong now until then? Or are you just saying that until the hand goes up I can't be called one?

She said welcome to America, I'm all cleared an the notice will arrive for the oath in two weeks. What could go wrong now until then? Or are you just saying that until the hand goes up I can't be called one?

You're not a US citizen until you complete the oath ceremony. Telling people you're a US citizen before you officially become one could get you in trouble, and could even stop you from becoming a US citizen.

This is not like college where you're considered to be a graduate as soon as you pass your last required exam or submit your last paper, and the graduation ceremony has no legal or academic significance. With naturalization, the oath ceremony is not just ceremonial; you have to complete the ceremony to actually become a US citizen.

For now, you can say you will soon become a US citizen, but don't say "I am a US citizen", because you're not a US citizen yet.

So how was the oath yesterday? Got through it without any problems (like a name misspelling on your certificate)? About how many people were there and how long was it from start to finish?

So how was the oath yesterday? Got through it without any problems (like a name misspelling on your certificate)? About how many people were there and how long was it from start to finish?

29 countries represented, 101 people, start to finish an hour and forty five minutes. A tad unorganized. No corrections needed on the certificate!

Next step... Passport?

Congrats, now you're really a US citizen!

29 countries represented, 101 people, start to finish an hour and forty five minutes. A tad unorganized. No corrections needed on the certificate!
Good. You had mentioned changing to your husband's last name, so I guess that means they gave you the last name you wanted without any issues.

Next step... Passport?
Yes, the next step would be a US passport, unless you don't plan to travel for a long time.

In about a couple of weeks, you can visit the Social Security office to inform them of your citizenship so they can update your records in their system. If you visit them before that, the relevant data transfer between USCIS and SSA may not have occurred yet. If your SS card has the employment restriction wording on it, they'll send you a new SS card without the restriction.

Then there is voter registration ... elections for the House and Senate will happen in November 2014, and there may be some local elections for offices in your area before that (e.g. mayor, school board).

You don't need to update anything at the DMV ... just keep driving with the same license until it's time to renew.

Thank you! I took the advice on here and waited to change my last name at my citizenship test! Thanks again for all of the help!

Yes, the next step would be a US passport, unless you don't plan to travel for a long time.

In about a couple of weeks, you can visit the Social Security office to inform them of your citizenship so they can update your records in their system. If you visit them before that, the relevant data transfer between USCIS and SSA may not have occurred yet. If your SS card has the employment restriction wording on it, they'll send you a new SS card without the restriction.

Do I need to go to the Social Security office before I request a passport? I plan on going to visit Canada in 5 weeks. Will I need my US passport before then since they took my green card at the oath ceremony?

Where do I go to get my passport? THANK YOU!!

Do I need to go to the Social Security office before I request a passport? I plan on going to visit Canada in 5 weeks. Will I need my US passport before then since they took my green card at the oath ceremony?

In USPS Post office, you can apply on Priority. The charge little extra for Priority processing/mailing. You will get your PP by post in 3-4 weeks.

Download form DS-11, and take it and your naturalization certificate to a Post Office and ask for expedited service. If they ask for additional ID, do not show your Canadian passport!

They will take away the naturalization certificate for processing your passport, so remember to make a copy of it before going to the Post Office. The certificate and your passport will be mailed to you in two separate envelopes, possibly a few days apart.