part-time modelling on J1

heidi008

hi, i am a post-doc in the us on j-visa. can i work parttime as print, editorial, commercial model (represented by a modelling agency). thanks

Thanks for reply. Are there any ways to make it possible to have side-job like this, is separate visa required etc?

Yes, you need a separate visa, either H1 or O1. H1 is difficult due to the quota, O1 is difficult because it requires fairly outstanding qualifications (distinguished fashion model in the industry, including titles in widely-regarded contests of first rank, magazine photos etc). For H1 you need a waiver for any HRR that might be attached to your J1 visa. For O1 its not necessary. To participate in "cultural events" there is a special visa category (P-3), but that probably doesn't apply to you since you seem to be looking for fashion work and not dance/art performances, if I understood you correctly.

hi, i am a post-doc in the us on j-visa. can i work parttime as print, editorial, commercial model (represented by a modelling agency). thanks

You can do part time job if your J sponsor agree and you work in educational work like teaching or so

Well modeling is hardly educational work, and the J work authorization is employer specific, so how exactly would that work? Apply for EAD based on what? As J-2 you could work on the side, btw (since you qualify for EAD).

Well modeling is hardly educational work, and the J work authorization is employer specific, so how exactly would that work? Apply for EAD based on what? As J-2 you could work on the side, btw (since you qualify for EAD).

J1 is not qualified for EAD, J2 is. The J visa, unlike that of H, is not that employer specific and much more maleability apply. If your sponsor could justify any work as an educational activity and give you a permission with that, that will be OK.

Would you mind pointing me to the part of INA that allows this kind of work for someone else than the sponsor? My GF went through quite some pain to get her H1B3 visa. It would have been much easier via J1.

Would you mind pointing me to the part of INA that allows this kind of work for someone else than the sponsor? My GF went through quite some pain to get her H1B3 visa. It would have been much easier via J1.

I do not know where exactley the memo regulating that but from what I saw for few J1 visa holders with permission from their sponsors, they have part time jobs in the library and teaching with extra salary. One of my friends did part time job in teaching in another community collage and after switching to H, he can not do that anymore. We could search for the law regulating that and wait for other inputs. Myself switched my work (in the same institute) to another related carrier with different PI and different salary other than that listed in the DS without doing anything and the international office had no problem. At the same time a colleage on H can not do that unless he inform the immigration and switch his H. Just ask international office in your place.

Well after browsing through all the regulations I can find, what your friend did is flat out illegal. You can apply for internships if you are on a J-1 through a University but thats about it. I doubt teaching would be considered an internship, except for people seeking an ED. Anyway, while teaching might be a borderline case, modeling is certainly not an internship-type job for a postdoc, so H1B3 it is :)