Overstayed in USA, Planning to visit USA again through Canadian border

mitul28

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I'm an Indian national who entered USA in August 1998 on visitor's visa. On my arrival in NYC I was given stay permit for 6 months. However, I decided to complete my high school education in NYC through a public school which ended in June 2002. After completing my high school education I was all set to join a college in NYC but a lawyer informed my parents to take me back to India before I turn 18 so that my overstaying is nullified. At present I'm in India since July 2002 and am planning to go back to USA before my tourist visa expires in July 2008. I'm planning on visiting USA through Canadaian border. My questions:

1. Will I have any problems at the border?

2. What type of questions can I expect from USA immigration?

3. Incase I'm denied entry, will my passport get any denial stamps? Can I get a deportation stamp?

4. I will be traveling to USA on valid tourist visa hence what documents will I need to show to authoroties?

5. Which border point should I choose to enter USA? Any location is not a problem for me as once in USA I can travel to my respective destination easily. Thousand Island Bridge - Lansdowne, ON / Alexandria Bay, NY crossing or Niagara?

6. Anyone have any idea about which border points are easier to get in?

Any reply would be highly appreciated!

Thanx!

Mitul

While you will not be punished for overstaying as a minor, it is still likely that your past disregard of US immigration laws will be used against you. It really depends whether they have records on you. If they do I would not be surprised if they refuse you entry on a tourist visa since you have demonstrated before that you won't leave when your visa expires. Whether you actually show up in their database is a different question. Maybe someone has feedback on that.

Thanx for replying. I do understand that entry could be denied. However, what I want to know is that whether I will get a deportation stamp or not since deportation usually means sending the individual back to their home country and I won't be coming from my home country. I really don't mind being denied entry however I do not want deportation stamp on the passport. Also, any idea which border point is safer out of the three?

Do revert!

Thanx!

I personally prefer the Sarnia/Port Huron crossing. Really low in volume most of the time. However that is ideal for midwest folks traveling to Ontario, Quebec and Atlantic Canada. I have never had any issues at this border post. Mind you, I do not have a history of overstaying my welcome in either country, so your mileage may vary.

6. Anyone have any idea about which border points are easier to get in?