Overstayed B-2 visa, any penalty?

Ikyu

My aunt overstayed her B-2 visa for about one year because her husband passed away in her home country when she came to the US to visit me. I helped her to pass the most difficult time in here. She will leave the U.S. after she gets back to her normal and won't come back to the U.S. My questions are:

1. Will she get any penalty for overstaying her visa? Is there any fine?
2. I work for federal government, as her sponsor, will I get affected?
3. Will her overstaying visa bring any side effects on my application for the US citizen in the future? Currently I am a permanent resident.

Help!

A1: A 3 year ban if her overstay was between 6 and 12 months. A 10 year ban if her overstay was over 12 months.
A2: There is no sponsor for B-2 visas. Working for the federal goverment, you should have been more conscious of the fact that your aunt was abusing her visit visa, but at the end of the day, she is an adult and responsible for her own decisions.
A3: No

3. Will her overstaying visa bring any side effects on my application for the US citizen in the future? Currently I am a permanent resident.

Help!

Thank you so much, triple citizen for the quick response.
You mentioned there is no sponsor for B-2, but I am the person who invited her to the US. Will I get affected by her overstay?
If she leaves from the US., do you know whether she will have trouble to pass the US Customs and get aboard on airplane?

Thanks a lot.

My aunt overstayed her B-2 visa for about one year because her husband passed away in her home country when she came to the US to visit me. I helped her to pass the most difficult time in here. She will leave the U.S. after she gets back to her normal and won't come back to the U.S. My questions are:

Help!

A "sponsor" is a person who files an Affidavit of Support. Either an I-864 for an Immigrant OR an I-134 for a non-immigrant. This is a financial responsibility to reimburse for almost any public benefit that the immigrant or nonimmigrant receives ALSO it is a promise to support the sponsored alien financially, otherwise.

A petition is filed by someone in the U.S. for a relative (including a finace of a USC) or an employee. Relatives who petition for relatives for Immigrant visas (greencards) have to file an I-864. No USC or LPR can petition for an aunt so you did not file an I-864. A petitioner who files for an employee is giving a job, so, the I-864 only kicks in IF that empolyer and employee are also RELATIVES.

HOWEVER, if she required an I-134 to be allowed in as a nonimmigrant, then and only then could you be her "sponsor".

Last edited by a moderator:
You are a PR and you are not aware of the fact that you do not meet US customs when exiting the US? She just boards the plane and hands over her I-94 at check-in.

If she leaves from the US., do you know whether she will have trouble to pass the US Customs and get aboard on airplane?

Help!

She needs to leave now. Depending on the state and its laws, there can be issues harboring an illegal alien; it can be in my state.