Over 40 days and still no biometrics notice

Now that my citizenship interview date is scheduled, can I plan to travel international for 3 weeks immediately after the interview and before the oath ceremony? Can I request the IO who will interview me to schedule the oath on a date after my return? (provided of course if I am approved!)? Can someone on this forum advise, please?
------------------------------------
N400 sent: 27th Sep.08 to CSC
N400 received: 29th Sep 08
Check cashed: 4th Oct 08
PD: 29th Sep 08
NOA received : 9th Oct 08
Notice date: 7th Oct 08- transferred to NBC
FP notice: not yet received
FP Date:?
-------------------------------------------------
(1st) FP for GC renewal: 25th January 2008
-------------------------------------------------
IL: 19th Dec 2008
ID: 27th Jan 2009
Oath:?

I had my citizenship interview on 27th Jan 09. Went off quite well
I reached by Bart at SanFrancisco DO at about 8AM and people were already there in line. I had to keep my cell phone at a nearby photo shop. After getting in line , the security personnel verified my interview letter and ID. Then I went thru the usual security stuff and was directed to 2nd floor. At the reception, the lady after taking my appointment letter, gave me a passport form and signalled me to sit in D area ( in some designated areas like, A,B,C,D,E,F). I sat there for almost 40 minutes (8.30 to 9.10 AM) when the IO came out and called my name
After seating in his cabin, he started checking my passport (old and new), greencard and two re-entry permits. Then the officer started asking me about the information on my N400. At the travel section where u give all your travel particulars, he asked me why I was out for so long in 2003. I said I was on 2nd re-entry permit at that time and gave my reasons (basically property/ finance related in India) to him and he was ok with that. Then he asked about my stay in Houston/ NewOrleans. I explained him that I was with my brother in NewOrleans when Katrina hurricane had happened. So we all moved to Houston at that time and later I moved to California to live with my daughter which is where I am living till now. Then the officer went thru the rest of form’s regular questionnaire.
After this he asked me if I want to take old test or new test, asking if I have seen the new test on internet.( Because I had not gone for FP at this time. I guess he knew that I will not have the booklet of the new test). Anyway I said, since it’s a new Govt.,I will take a new test He asked me about if I know who the president was in world war I. I said Woodrow Wilson. So he started questioning me on new test. Following were my questions:
1. What is the supreme law of the land?
2. What is an amendment?
3. Who signs bills to become law?
4. Who vetoes bills?
5. What is the Capital of California?
6. What do we show loyalty to when we say the Pledge of Allegiance?
7. Who did the United States fight in World War II?

Then he told me to write a sentence and read a sentence in English ( I do not remember that) although there were three sentences written on that paper.
He said good. And then made me sign all the relevant papers etc and gave me form N 652 which basically mentions that I have passed the History, Civics and English test. He checked box A) Congratulations , you have been recommended for approval. I asked him if this means I am approved, he said well you should expect a letter in mail for oath ceremony. I think the final approval is done before sending the oath- maybe they will go over the file to verify what all I said, I do not know. My daughter and son in-law were interviewed in Oakland in 2007 and they were handed oath ceremony letter right away, even though the oath happened two weeks later. Maybe it is different in each district office. I told the IO that I need to travel international for some urgent occasion in the family before the oath, he said you can travel. Then I said if I receive the oath letter in mail when I am not there, then I cannot return it back to USCIS, to which he said he will make a note on my application that the person will be traveling abroad, so if they look at it, they can schedule it in March. I hope I get it in March as I have to travel now.
All in all it was a good experience and hope will smooth thru the oath finally. BTW, my IO was a Chinese guy I think, so I had to really focus on what he was asking. Also for everybody’s information, they do have restrooms and drinking water faucet, which if you are traveling by Bart, and walking long distance can be a problem in absence of one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had my citizenship interview on 27th Jan 09. Went off quite well
I reached by Bart at SanFrancisco DO at about 8AM and people were already there in line. I had to keep my cell phone at a nearby photo shop. After getting in line , the security personnel verified my interview letter and ID. Then I went thru the usual security stuff and was directed to 2nd floor. At the reception, the lady after taking my appointment letter, gave me a passport form and signalled me to sit in D area ( in some designated areas like, A,B,C,D,E,F). I sat there for almost 40 minutes (8.30 to 9.10 AM) when the IO came out and called my name
After seating in his cabin, he started checking my passport (old and new), greencard and two re-entry permits. Then the officer started asking me about the information on my N400. At the travel section where u give all your travel particulars, he asked me why I was out for so long in 2003. I said I was on 2nd re-entry permit at that time and gave my reasons (basically property/ finance related in India) to him and he was ok with that. Then he asked about my stay in Houston/ NewOrleans. I explained him that I was with my brother in NewOrleans when Katrina hurricane had happened. So we all moved to Houston at that time and later I moved to California to live with my daughter which is where I am living till now. Then the officer went thru the rest of form’s regular questionnaire.
After this he asked me if I want to take old test or new test, asking if I have seen the new test on internet.( Because I had not gone for FP at this time. I guess he knew that I will not have the booklet of the new test). Anyway I said, since it’s a new Govt.,I will take a new test He asked me about if I know who the president was in world war I. I said Woodrow Wilson. So he started questioning me on new test. Following were my questions:
1. What is the supreme law of the land?
2. What is an amendment?
3. Who signs bills to become law?
4. Who vetoes bills?
5. What is the Capital of California?
6. What do we show loyalty to when we say the Pledge of Allegiance?
7. Who did the United States fight in World War II?

Then he told me to write a sentence and read a sentence in English ( I do not remember that) although there were three sentences written on that paper.
He said good. And then made me sign all the relevant papers etc and gave me form N 652 which basically mentions that I have passed the History, Civics and English test. He checked box A) Congratulations , you have been recommended for approval. I asked him if this means I am approved, he said well you should expect a letter in mail for oath ceremony. I think the final approval is done before sending the oath- maybe they will go over the file to verify what all I said, I do not know. My daughter and son in-law were interviewed in Oakland in 2007 and they were handed oath ceremony letter right away, even though the oath happened two weeks later. Maybe it is different in each district office. I told the IO that I need to travel international for some urgent occasion in the family before the oath, he said you can travel. Then I said if I receive the oath letter in mail when I am not there, then I cannot return it back to USCIS, to which he said he will make a note on my application that the person will be traveling abroad, so if they look at it, they can schedule it in March. I hope I get it in March as I have to travel now.
All in all it was a good experience and hope will smooth thru the oath finally. BTW, my IO was a Chinese guy I think, so I had to really focus on what he was asking. Also for everybody’s information, they do have restrooms and drinking water faucet, which if you are traveling by Bart, and walking long distance can be a problem in absence of one.

Yayyyy RSRK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Congratulations on your interview going so smoothly!!Enjoy your trip!!

I agree, you should call and find out. I had applied for my green card renewal in august and filed my N-400 in november. I had my fingerprinting for the GC renewal in october and then again got a notice for FP for the N-400 on dec 8.

Got oath letter today scheduled on 4th March 09 just two days after I come back from my trip tp India.

It all turned out so nicely RSRK!!Have a wondeful trip to India!!

Just want to tell that I underwent the oath ceremony on 4th March. There were about 1283 people all over from Northern California, taking the oath at Paramount theatre in Oakland.
Finally I have reached that landmark od becoming a US citizen. Now I have another journey to undergo- the already filed family petition for my adult son while his employment based petition is still pending- there is a tussel and confusion which one to pursue!

Just want to tell that I underwent the oath ceremony on 4th March. There were about 1283 people all over from Northern California, taking the oath at Paramount theatre in Oakland.
Finally I have reached that landmark od becoming a US citizen. Now I have another journey to undergo- the already filed family petition for my adult son while his employment based petition is still pending- there is a tussel and confusion which one to pursue!

Congratulations!!!Your journey is over!!The employment based might be faster for your son,just a thought.I don't know how soon adult children are processed but I am sure it is not that quick.

Goodluck!!

RSRK,

You have to call or to make an infopass as often as you can if not you'll have the surprise of denial for abandonment for no-show up at the FP .